01-09-2017

US

9 Signins

123 Page Views

• Views: 123
  • Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Edge 2 Faulty Hinges

2017-01-09, 22:07 PM

I have been having an absolutely MISERABLE expereince dealing with Lenovo with this computer.  About 2 weeks ago, the left hinge on my pc notebook began sticking and with routine opening and closing, which has forced the separation of the casing from the screen.  It was under waranty until 12/28/2016.  I placed my first call on 12/27/2016 to get the process going and have gotten nothing but a runaround with each call to India I make.  Each time, I get a guarantee that I will get a call back within "3 business days" to no avail.  I am told that my case is escalated and I should expect an email from a "case manager" and should get an email within 24 hours, and NOTHING.  I have taken out an extended warratny with Lenovo based off the suggestion of my call on 12/27/16 in order to get in home assistance, and nobody want to aknowledge anything to help with this case.  

Any help that anyone can provide to help expedite this process, whether it be a strategy to get someone in America to actually call me back, another number beyond the one on the website to spreak to someone "higher up," etc.  I am beyond frustrated with this case and am about done with Lenovo...

Options

1 Posts

01-11-2017

US

8 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Edge 2 Faulty Hinges

2017-01-11, 19:22 PM

Same thing happened to my Edge 2 today.  Left hinge broke away from the screen/lid.  Completed the service request form on Lenovo's website and await their response.  It's still within the original 12 month warranty but with only 8 days remaining!  I took out the 3 year extended warranty with Lenovo today and really hope they'll stand by their product, otherwise that's more money down the drain.  I'm disappointed with the hinge design failing with such little use, since the machine was used more like a desktop.

Options

7958 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32494 Signins

1199250 Page Views

• Views: 1199250
  • Message 3 of 9

2017-01-17, 13:47 PM

Hello ericfurto, welcome to the Community,

On hand of your email address in your profile I was able to find you in our systems but not able to find a case for you, in order to check further I have sent you a private message requesting more detailed information which shouldn't be posted in the open furum.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2 Posts

03-14-2017

US

6 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 4 of 9

2017-04-21, 23:32 PM

I had this same thing happen. I was about a month out of warranty.  I continued to close and open it and it cracked the screen.  Then the other hinge broke and stopped moving completely.  Best buy told me it'd be around $400 to $500 to fix.  That's half the cost of the computer.  Crazy.  So I ordered a new screen on Amazon.  It was $150 and works great.  But they don't make the hinges new anymore so I had to get used ones off of eBay ($30).  They were completely immobile.  No luck fixing either pair of hinges and the hinge problem ripped the screw holes off the top cover so now i have to find working hinges and order a new cover.  This is ridiculous.  I'll never buy a Lenovo again.  I've had a great experience with Samsung in the past.  I'll be going back to that if I can't get a hinge.

Options

2 Posts

02-13-2018

US

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 5 of 9

2018-02-13, 18:30 PM

I also had the same problem. Since it appears to be a common malfunction, I feel that Lenovo should offer a solution.

Moderator note: post edited to conform with Community Guidelines

Options

2 Posts

03-14-2017

US

6 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 6 of 9

2018-02-14, 10:32 AM

Update: After spending about $300 trying to fix my Lenovo, it just kept breaking apart.  I finally had to ditch it because, not only did the screen continue to detach but the computer itself began to slow down considerably and it was only a year and half old.  Just purchased a new Samsung and it is amazing!!!  Stay away from Lenovo!

Options

1 Posts

05-15-2019

US

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 7 of 9

2019-05-15, 16:36 PM

I just had this happen to me this morning. Given people's experience from what I'm seeing in this forum, looks like I'll just have to buy a new computer and avoid Lenovo in the future.

Options

2 Posts

02-13-2018

US

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 8 of 9

2019-05-15, 17:13 PM

Unfortunately, Lenovo proved that they don't have a reputable Customer Service Department....just keep selling garbage. I bought a Dell and it was nowhere near the cost. Sorry you are another one of Lenovo's victims.

Options

1 Posts

11-17-2019

SG

1 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-11-17, 1:35 AM

Lenovo should issue a recall for this, but they haven't.  These hinges are garbage. You spend 2k on a computer, you don't expect hinge-lock: the entire value of the computer should be refunded regardless of when this occurs.  A computer with these internal peripherals and this price tag is meant to last for a very long time (more than 10 years, for example).

The best work-arounds for this problem are:

(1) Remove the monitor completely and use an external monitor at each work location or carry a small LCD in your bag.

(2) Turn the computer into a desktop computer, lock the monitor in place, put a "do not move monitor" sign on the computer.

(3) Remove the hinge and replace it with a jerry-rigged hinge.  You only need a micro/mini screwdriver and fine-point plyers to remove the hinge, and you can jerry-rig a replacement hinge from the hardware store with hot glue (possibly a fine-tip drill).  It's a pain in the ass, but it's worth it.

(4) Buy a new hinge (yes, they sell them).  The newer hinges are engineered better and don't lock up: there was a specific release phase with bad hinges. 

Admin note; post edited in accordance with the Community Guidelines.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete