Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chuck80016
Paper Tape
Views: 601
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Flex 5 1470 unexpected shutdown on battery or while plugged in

Have had a Flex 5 1470 for 2 weeks and today for several hours I ran into this issue where whether it was connected to power or working on battery power I could use the laptop only for around 3-4 minutes before it woud unexpectatly shut off (literally an immediate BLACK screen). I could then power it back on and continue to work for another 3-4 minutes before this would happen again.

I downloaded a CPU thermometer and heating was not the issue (was operating well below the operating temperature for the i7). 

Any ideas of what was going on? What might have caused this issue and more importantly how to resolve this issue?

Your feedback is appreciated!

CittizinKane
Blue Screen Again
Views: 543
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Flex 5 1470 unexpected shutdown on battery or while plugged in

Dear fellow 1470 user,

I too have purchased a Flex 5 [1470],

it was working fine at home doing intensive downloads for at least 2 hours sat on a blanket that covered vents and restricted air flow while on web browser streaming videos.

I use it unplugged and it just shuts off after 20 minutes of use, black screen, dead.

Reboot, clean reboot, no damage, do a check, no issues.

Again but this time it's 6 minutes later, repeat process.  Attempt update of bios [unsuccesful] and various drivers.

I referenced a older forum post that stated a potential fix. 

Battery -> Power options -> Change Advanced Settings -> Processor Power Mgt. -> 

[i did two things here]

1. system cooling policy -> active [on battery setting]

2. maximum processor state -> 90% [on battery setting]; 99% [plugged in]

The post i saw referenced how at 100% maximum processor state there's an overclock to some degree which I feel may be causing issues.

I will be going back into the brick and mortar store to see if there's ever been any issues, will update after visit to store, hope this helps some, as it has helped me at least when im on power, need to test the on battery issues and stress it see if it does the same shutdown process.

Frankly quite disappointed, but love the shape, key press activation, touchpad, overall design trumps this flaw.  but it is a fairly annoying flaw, starting school again so i'm anxious about doing work off-the-juice!!!!

CittizinKane
Blue Screen Again
Views: 528
Message 3 of 4

Note that it does not work the way you think it would work. Meaning if you set the CPU to 90% it will run at 90% of the stock clockspeed. No... it's not like that. For example, my i5-2410m has a stock speed of 2.3GHz. Turbo boost overclocks it to as high as 2.9GHz when stressed.

100% = Turbo Boost on.

99% = Turbo Boost off. CPU runs at 2.3GHz

78% - 98% = 1.796GHz

69% - 77% = 1.596GHz

60% - 68% = 1.397GHz

here is the link to the article, its for a different model but you can apply was written in 3 years ago [2014] but i've had some success especially with increased time before shutdowns however it is for a much older model

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/198110/Why+is+my+laptop+randomly+shutting+itself+off

CittizinKane
Blue Screen Again
Views: 526
Message 4 of 4

there is a add on to this thread from January of 2018 thus indicating it still is an issue 4 years on, maybe different scenarios but I've read some success in the comments, hope it helps you @Chuck80016
Top Kudoed Authors