Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

04-20-2015

UK

12 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 33

Replacing Flex 2-15 Glass Digitizer

2015-04-20, 3:10 AM

Hi,

recently I cracked my screen on my Lenovo Flex 2-15, the screen itself is perfectly fine, however the glass infront is cracked and the does screen doesn't work in most areas, therefore I'm assuming that I just need to fix the glass digitizer infront of the LCD, having looked online I can find the part I need quite easily, but am a bit concerned about fitting it as I can't find any tutorials, is it even possible to do?

I'm guessing I remove the bezel at the bottom after having undone the screws, then undo the middle screw underneath that in order to flip over the screen?

Answer
Options

8 Posts

04-20-2015

UK

12 Signins

48 Page Views

Re: Replacing Flex 2-15 Glass Digitizer

2016-01-05, 18:13 PM

Thought I would just give an update to this as I have only got round to fixing the screen today and it was all successful. I imagined it was going to be a much trickier process and wasn't too sure what to expect as there is virtually no information available on how to do this. Also a heat gun is not needed at all and it is much easier not to use one as you have no chance of destroying the digitizer frame/bezel.

I personally ordered the digitizer with the bezel as it was only £15 more expensive and I had planned on using a heatgun however I wouldn't if I was doing this again.

1. Remove screw pads covering screws on bottom left and bottom right of digitizer and then remove these screws.

2. Once the screws are removed, this bit of plastic (front bezel as referred to by Lenovo) can be unclipped and taken off.

3. You will see a small screw at the bottom in the middle of the screen, this is the only screw that holds on the screen and digitizer.

4. Remove the middle screw and then slide the screen up and pull back and it will pop off, this can be be laid flat face down on the keyboard.

5. There are four screws with metal plates on each corner of the screen, remove these.

6. The next stage is to seperate the digitizer and frame from the actual LCD screen, most people said to use a heat gun for this however a sharp stanley knife will do, simply take care to not damage the screen. Just slowly cut through the adhesive running around the entire edge of the screen inbetween the digitizer and LCD.

7. Once you have cut all the way round, unclip the cable ribbons from the bottom and pop out the card from the bezel, the digitizer and frame should now be loose and can be taken away from the unit.

8. (If you have ordered the frame and digitizer together skip to step 10) If you have just ordered the digitizer you will now need to seperate the frame/bezel from the digitizer, again do this with a sharp blade, I suggest to start at the bottom as you can then work you way round, once the digitizer is off, you need to get rid of all the old adhesive and clean up the frame/bezel (I suggest white spirit).

9. Now you need to secure your new digitizer to the old frame/bezel, do this by applying adhesive double sided sticky tape to the bezel around the edge and secure the new digitizer in place. You are now ready to fit this back to the LCD unit.

10. First of, ensure both the LCD screen and back of the digitizer are clean and dust free, once this has been done position the new digitizer and frame underneath the front of the LCD still lying on top of the keyboard and position the screen correctly in place on the digitizer.

11. Pop the card that the ribbons go into back into the slot on the frame/bezel and then fold the ribbons back and re connect them.

12. Get the four metal plates and screw them into each corner. You can then lift the entire screen unit up and slot it back. Make sure that all the edges are clipped in and the wire at the bottom is tucked up behind the screen otherwise the front bezel will not clip in.

13. Screw in the middle screw at the bottom and then clip the front bezel back on, the two screws on each side can now be put back and screw pads placed over these. The screen should now be all fully functional again!

Hope this helps anyone who has run into this problem on there Lenovo Flex 2! If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask me!

Also, I now have a spare frame/bezel so if anyone previously tried to use a heat gun and warped theres then I'll be happy to sell mine!

Replies(32)
Options

1251 Posts

11-19-2012

Egypt

1333 Signins

10326 Page Views

• Views: 10326
  • Message 2 of 33

2015-04-22, 15:50 PM

Dear Irtm

Welcome in Lenovo community

Please use the below link to get all the information regarding the disassembly user guide  . although we do recommend to have this operation at the authorized service center .

Let me know

Thanks

Alaa

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

8 Posts

04-20-2015

UK

12 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 3 of 33

2015-04-22, 15:53 PM
Thanks SEAlaa, however I can't see the link you posted I don't think? Unless I am just being completely blind?
Options

1 Posts

04-23-2015

Glastonbury CT

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 4 of 33

2015-04-23, 2:13 AM
I also have this question and the parts manual does not address how to remove just the digitizer glass.
Options

6570 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29010 Signins

1661638 Page Views

• Views: 1661638
  • Message 5 of 33

2015-04-23, 5:36 AM

All,

Here is the hardware manual for the Flex2-15:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_flex_2_14_flex_2_14d_flex_2_15_flex_2_15d_hmm.pdf

Manual pages 62-63 show the LCD/lid disassembly, though nowhere in the manual do I see any reference that the capacitive layer of the LCD is separately replaceable. In my prior experience, the layers have been bonded, requiring replacement of the entire panel, but I have no direct experience with this line of laptops.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

11 Posts

04-30-2015

Victoria

8 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 6 of 33

2015-04-30, 16:59 PM

Hi there.

I have successfuly removed the cracked digitizer from the lcd panel by following the lcd removal guidelines in the maintenance manual for the lcd/digitizer assembly.

The digitizer isn't "bonded" to the LCD panel, it is secured with permiter tape. Once the taping is removed, the LCD panel can be removed from the main frame.

The most difficult part is the removal of the digitizer panel from the frame itself, as it is secured onto the frame with adhesive. A hot air gun was used to gently remove the cracked digitizer from this frame, taking care not to apply too much heat that the frame will melt (which is what I did - now my frame is warped due to the plastic re-annealing).

The new digitizer panels do not come with a new frame, so you have to either re-use your old one or find a new one.

I have not been able to find a new digitizer frame so my laptop has been sitting idle for two months.

Have you been able to find this digitizer frame part?

Options

11 Posts

04-30-2015

Victoria

8 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 7 of 33

2015-04-30, 20:34 PM

I've created a new post that identifies an issue I have had with replacing a vital part of the LCD/Digitizer assembly here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Edge-Yoga-Flex-Laptops/Flex-2-15D-Digitizer-Bezel-Replacement/td-p/2072861

Answer
Options

8 Posts

04-20-2015

UK

12 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 8 of 33

2016-01-05, 18:13 PM

Thought I would just give an update to this as I have only got round to fixing the screen today and it was all successful. I imagined it was going to be a much trickier process and wasn't too sure what to expect as there is virtually no information available on how to do this. Also a heat gun is not needed at all and it is much easier not to use one as you have no chance of destroying the digitizer frame/bezel.

I personally ordered the digitizer with the bezel as it was only £15 more expensive and I had planned on using a heatgun however I wouldn't if I was doing this again.

1. Remove screw pads covering screws on bottom left and bottom right of digitizer and then remove these screws.

2. Once the screws are removed, this bit of plastic (front bezel as referred to by Lenovo) can be unclipped and taken off.

3. You will see a small screw at the bottom in the middle of the screen, this is the only screw that holds on the screen and digitizer.

4. Remove the middle screw and then slide the screen up and pull back and it will pop off, this can be be laid flat face down on the keyboard.

5. There are four screws with metal plates on each corner of the screen, remove these.

6. The next stage is to seperate the digitizer and frame from the actual LCD screen, most people said to use a heat gun for this however a sharp stanley knife will do, simply take care to not damage the screen. Just slowly cut through the adhesive running around the entire edge of the screen inbetween the digitizer and LCD.

7. Once you have cut all the way round, unclip the cable ribbons from the bottom and pop out the card from the bezel, the digitizer and frame should now be loose and can be taken away from the unit.

8. (If you have ordered the frame and digitizer together skip to step 10) If you have just ordered the digitizer you will now need to seperate the frame/bezel from the digitizer, again do this with a sharp blade, I suggest to start at the bottom as you can then work you way round, once the digitizer is off, you need to get rid of all the old adhesive and clean up the frame/bezel (I suggest white spirit).

9. Now you need to secure your new digitizer to the old frame/bezel, do this by applying adhesive double sided sticky tape to the bezel around the edge and secure the new digitizer in place. You are now ready to fit this back to the LCD unit.

10. First of, ensure both the LCD screen and back of the digitizer are clean and dust free, once this has been done position the new digitizer and frame underneath the front of the LCD still lying on top of the keyboard and position the screen correctly in place on the digitizer.

11. Pop the card that the ribbons go into back into the slot on the frame/bezel and then fold the ribbons back and re connect them.

12. Get the four metal plates and screw them into each corner. You can then lift the entire screen unit up and slot it back. Make sure that all the edges are clipped in and the wire at the bottom is tucked up behind the screen otherwise the front bezel will not clip in.

13. Screw in the middle screw at the bottom and then clip the front bezel back on, the two screws on each side can now be put back and screw pads placed over these. The screen should now be all fully functional again!

Hope this helps anyone who has run into this problem on there Lenovo Flex 2! If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask me!

Also, I now have a spare frame/bezel so if anyone previously tried to use a heat gun and warped theres then I'll be happy to sell mine!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

01-22-2016

United States

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 9 of 33

2016-01-22, 8:25 AM

I have a Lenovo Flex 2-15 and I'm looking for a replacement screen with the LCD, bezel and digitizer.  All of the replacements I find have that they are for Flex 2 15 59422158.  Will this same screen work for Flex 2 15 59425111 ?

Options

2 Posts

01-22-2016

United States

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 10 of 33

2016-01-31, 15:42 PM
Thanks! I've been having a hard time getting the screen to snap back in place. I tried to force it the last time, and broke the screen. I'm going to follow the steps 11-13 to secure the screen back in place.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms