cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KnightHawkeye
Punch Card
Message 1 of 4

Success! - My Ideapad 110S|BR now boots from larger Solid-State Drive (SSD)

I came to really like my 110S over the past year and was greatly disappointed when Microsoft virtually obsoleted it recently  by gobbling up all available space on the meager original 32 GB drive and then repeatedly spent endless hours attempting to unsuccessfully upgrade Windows. This fruitless repetitive activity made my 110S essentially useless.

After discovering that the 110S|BR sported an empty internal 2.5" M.2 SATA SSD slot, I knew what I had to do. Purchased a 120 GB board on Amazon for $50, formatted it using free software, cloned the operating system onto the new drive, repartitioned the drive using the same free software, switched the booting in the 110S BIOS, and then let Windows update itself on the new drive. Now, the 110S|BR is even quicker and more responsive than ever. I'm looking forward to continue using it for a good while yet.

Besides finding the needed partioning and cloning software (I used both EaseUS Partition Master Free and AOMEI Partition Assistant), the only other time effort involved figuring out the steps needed to get the BIOS to boot from the new SSD. Although the SSD drive showed up in the boot menu (F12), it wasn't until I disabled both the internal drive and the Master Boot Record via the BIOS menu (F2) that the 110S would default to booting from the new SSD.

KnightHawkeye
Punch Card
Message 2 of 4

Re: Success! - My Ideapad 110S|BR now boots from larger Solid-State Drive (SSD)

Here's the drive I found on Amazon for $50 and installed: Silicon Power 120GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD With R/W Up To 560/530MB/s (SLC Cache for Speed Boost) SATA III Internal Solid State Drive for Ultrabooks and Tablets (SP120GBSS3M55M28)

I believe the drive needs to be a SATA III, M.2 2280. The maintenance manual (download it here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/110s-11ibr/documentation) lists the following specific SSDs as compatible though many others will work as well:

SSD, Liteon CV3-8D128 5SD0L02318

SSD, Liteon CV3-8D256 5SD0L02320

SSD, SS MZNTY128HDHP-000L2 128G

SSD, SS MZNTY256HDHP-000L2 256G

ArvadaJon
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

I know this post is a couple months old now, but I'd really like to do this. Do you happen to have a step guide or a place where I can see instructions on how to do this? I really appreciate it!

KnightHawkeye
Punch Card
Message 4 of 4

@ArvadaJonArvadaJonwrote:

I know this post is a couple months old now, but I'd really like to do this. Do you happen to have a step guide or a place where I can see instructions on how to do this? I really appreciate it!

Hi,

Detailed instructions for installing the memory are available here: https://gfr2reviews.com/2017/08/19/lenovo-ideapad-110s-storage-upgrade/

I used EaseUS software for cloning the OS. I recommend updating the OS before cloning it. Also, I found that updating the OS from an external copy worked much better than attempting an online upgrade. The remaining steps are documented above in the OP. Good luck.

Top Kudoed Authors