cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KnightHawkeye
Punch Card
Views: 3,286
Message 1 of 8

Success! - My Ideapad 110S|BR now boots from larger Solid-State Drive (SSD)

I came to really like my 110S over the past year and was greatly disappointed when Microsoft virtually obsoleted it recently  by gobbling up all available space on the meager original 32 GB drive and then repeatedly spent endless hours attempting to unsuccessfully upgrade Windows. This fruitless repetitive activity made my 110S essentially useless.

After discovering that the 110S|BR sported an empty internal 2.5" M.2 SATA SSD slot, I knew what I had to do. Purchased a 120 GB board on Amazon for $50, formatted it using free software, cloned the operating system onto the new drive, repartitioned the drive using the same free software, switched the booting in the 110S BIOS, and then let Windows update itself on the new drive. Now, the 110S|BR is even quicker and more responsive than ever. I'm looking forward to continue using it for a good while yet.

Besides finding the needed partioning and cloning software (I used both EaseUS Partition Master Free and AOMEI Partition Assistant), the only other time effort involved figuring out the steps needed to get the BIOS to boot from the new SSD. Although the SSD drive showed up in the boot menu (F12), it wasn't until I disabled both the internal drive and the Master Boot Record via the BIOS menu (F2) that the 110S would default to booting from the new SSD.

KnightHawkeye
Punch Card
Views: 3,219
Message 2 of 8

Re: Success! - My Ideapad 110S|BR now boots from larger Solid-State Drive (SSD)

Here's the drive I found on Amazon for $50 and installed: Silicon Power 120GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD With R/W Up To 560/530MB/s (SLC Cache for Speed Boost) SATA III Internal Solid State Drive for Ultrabooks and Tablets (SP120GBSS3M55M28)

I believe the drive needs to be a SATA III, M.2 2280. The maintenance manual (download it here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/110s-11ibr/documentation) lists the following specific SSDs as compatible though many others will work as well:

SSD, Liteon CV3-8D128 5SD0L02318

SSD, Liteon CV3-8D256 5SD0L02320

SSD, SS MZNTY128HDHP-000L2 128G

SSD, SS MZNTY256HDHP-000L2 256G

ArvadaJon
What's DOS?
Views: 2,668
Message 3 of 8

I know this post is a couple months old now, but I'd really like to do this. Do you happen to have a step guide or a place where I can see instructions on how to do this? I really appreciate it!

KnightHawkeye
Punch Card
Views: 2,551
Message 4 of 8

@ArvadaJon@ArvadaJonwrote:

I know this post is a couple months old now, but I'd really like to do this. Do you happen to have a step guide or a place where I can see instructions on how to do this? I really appreciate it!

Hi,

Detailed instructions for installing the memory are available here: https://gfr2reviews.com/2017/08/19/lenovo-ideapad-110s-storage-upgrade/

I used EaseUS software for cloning the OS. I recommend updating the OS before cloning it. Also, I found that updating the OS from an external copy worked much better than attempting an online upgrade. The remaining steps are documented above in the OP. Good luck.

richardfm
What's DOS?
Views: 1,137
Message 5 of 8

I'm trying to do the saem thing.  I installed a 128GB drive and it shows up as Disk0.  I cloned Windows 10 to the drive using Easeusa todo - at least, I think I did.  I cloned the EFI partition first, but it isn't an exact copy - the info in disk manager is different (see below).  I tried disabling the 32gb disk using the bios, but it still shows up in disk manager, except the EFI partition is greyed out.  And Windows 10 update doesn't think anything is different - it still says there's not enough room for an update .  I also disabled 'Windows Boot Manager' in the bios, but I didn't notice any difference.  Do I have to delete the MBR from the 32GB disk?  That sounds pretty drastic. What exactly did you do?

Here's what my disk manager info looks like:

Volume                   Layout  Type    File System  Status                                                                                                      Capacity

Simple  Basic                       Healthy (EFI System Partition)                                                                 260 MB

Simple  Basic                       Healthy (Recovery Partition)                                                                   1000 MB

SYSTEM_DRV (ASmiley Happy    Simple  Basic   FAT32           Healthy (Primary Partition)                                                                     259 MB

Windows (BSmiley Happy           Simple  Basic   NTFS            Healthy (Wim Boot, Primary Partition)                                                    111.53 GB

Windows (CSmiley Happy           Simple  Basic   NTFS            Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Wim Boot, Primary Partition)   27.87 GB

Fran67
Punch Card
Views: 1,116
Message 6 of 8

Hi. I have the next step up from yours---Flex 4-1130---so can mine be done the same way? Also, I have the 32GB one as well and am excited at doing what you did. Thank you so much!
KnightHawkeye
Punch Card
Views: 1,045
Message 7 of 8

@richardfm wrote:

I'm trying to do the saem thing.  I installed a 128GB drive and it shows up as Disk0.  I cloned Windows 10 to the drive using Easeusa todo - at least, I think I did.  I cloned the EFI partition first, but it isn't an exact copy - the info in disk manager is different (see below).  I tried disabling the 32gb disk using the bios, but it still shows up in disk manager, except the EFI partition is greyed out.  And Windows 10 update doesn't think anything is different - it still says there's not enough room for an update .  I also disabled 'Windows Boot Manager' in the bios, but I didn't notice any difference.  Do I have to delete the MBR from the 32GB disk?  That sounds pretty drastic. What exactly did you do?

Here's what my disk manager info looks like:

Volume                   Layout  Type    File System  Status                                                                                                      Capacity

Simple  Basic                       Healthy (EFI System Partition)                                                                 260 MB

Simple  Basic                       Healthy (Recovery Partition)                                                                   1000 MB

SYSTEM_DRV (ASmiley Happy    Simple  Basic   FAT32           Healthy (Primary Partition)                                                                     259 MB

Windows (BSmiley Happy           Simple  Basic   NTFS            Healthy (Wim Boot, Primary Partition)                                                    111.53 GB

Windows (CSmiley Happy           Simple  Basic   NTFS            Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Wim Boot, Primary Partition)   27.87 GB

Hi Richard,

I did the cloning a couple of different ways. When cloning only the partitions, results were similar to what you got - the machine would boot from the SSD but then the Windows 10 update messed things up. After putting an exact clone of the entire original drive onto the new larger SSD though Windows successfully updated on the new drive and allowed continued operation from the new drive. After cloning the original drive onto the new drive, I then increased the partition size of the main Windows partion before updating Windows 10.

No, I never changed the MBR on the original drive. I can check the bios setting when I get back home if you'd like (I don't remember the exact setting at the moment).

jbdb
Paper Tape
Views: 59
Message 8 of 8

Greetings ; my approach differs. ideapad 110s.

..1.. I used Disk Management (rt-clic windows symbol in the task bar.) Highlight your new drive, rt-clic and select 'change drive letter and paths.' [also note the format option for later.]  I'm no expert, my 1st time using it and I managed to get file explorer to recognize the new 500gb m.2 2280  by the drive letter and format.

..2..I searched on 'download windows 10 install' .  [ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ] The object here is to get a ' usb... to install  win10 on another computer . '  fyi when you clic the 'dowload tool now ' button clic 'run' . If i tried to save it it didn't work right . It takes a while . There was a check box that said something about using some info from the computer you are working on. Uncheck this. Otherwise I got an error at the end of the process and the usb didn't finish properly.

..3.. Now I'm looking at how to unplug  the 32gb hdd, then it has to recognize the new ssd as the place to install the new clean version of win10 that's in the usb... no plug it's soldered in.

..4.. Like I said, not an expert, not recommending this. I base the following on other computers where I have corrupted the bios using regedit trying to get rid of dell bloat-ware and found that the corrupted win10 forces the 'where do you want to install win' screen to appear. This is in the tool downloaded in ..2.. supra and after you configured the boot order to read the usb drive first. fyi it wants to see the new drive formatted  to NTFS .

..5.. Now I have a ideapad 110S w/ a 500GB WD M.2 2280 3D NAND [ bought 'used' on amazon ] as the C:\ drive  and an empty 32GB 'Generic MMC32G' as the D:\ drive.

20180720_002648[1].jpg

20180720_022813[2].jpgwhere to install

Top Kudoed Authors