cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fnay
Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 6

Two SSD on Ideapad 520?

Hi guys. So, I've been thinking of buying 520-15IKB with 1 TB HDD and 128 GB SSD. Can I change the 1 TB HDD slot with 256/512 GB SSD afterward? Can the laptop hold two SSD? I tried to google and email Lenovo Service bout but still don't have any answer. I really hope someone can help me with it. Thanks in advance!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 6

Re: Two SSD on Ideapad 520?

fnay wrote:

I've been thinking of buying 520-15IKB with 1 TB HDD and 128 GB SSD. Can I change the 1 TB HDD slot with 256/512 GB SSD afterward? Can the laptop hold two SSD?

The HDD is a 2.5 inch SATA disk.  You can replace that with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.  I have done that in my 700-15ISK, which now contains a 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD, plus a 2TB 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

Look in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" for your model to determine the maximum thickness of 2.5 inch disk that your laptop will accept.  It is probably 7mm, but could be 9mm.  My 2TB SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO, which is 7mm in thickness.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Mod's Edit: Marked this post as the Solution as it contained the needed information

fnay
Blue Screen Again
Message 3 of 6

That helps, thanks a lot for the answer! Smiley Very Happy

Mod's Edit:  Unmarked this post as the Solution

Beerinderpal
Punch Card
Message 4 of 6

Hey bro

I read your discussion which is really helpful but if you can do me a favour. Asi bought laptop and want to add a ssd in it but its original caddy dont have board which will connect ssd to motherboard. I dont want aftermarket caddy as it will not look good with this laptop. So if you can suggest me something that where i can find this board the one in the pic.

Thanks in advance

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 6

Beerinderpal wrote:

I want to add a ssd in it but its original caddy dont have board which will connect ssd to motherboard.

I guess that the version of the laptop that you purchased was one that does not include the CD/DVD drive?  If that is the case, it may not be possible to fit an SSD in that position, if the connecting circuit board is absent

You could look in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" (HMM) for your model to see if it lists the CD/DVD caddy with circuit board as a replacement part, but it might list the caddy without indicating whether it includes the circuit board.  You can download the HMM from the "Support" section of this web site.

I have never fitted a disk in the CD/DVD location, so I am not familiar with the problems that can arise.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

scipri
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

Did you solve the problem?

Top Kudoed Authors