English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

08-09-2020

IN

4 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 6

100% Disk Usage and RAM Upgrade in Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB (Type 81DE) [URGENT]

2020-08-09, 20:29 PM

My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB (Type 81DE). It has a soldered RAM of size 4GB. I perform some simultaneous program execution on this and RAM usage is almost always at 80-90%. Sometimes when I'm loading something new, the whole system lags and the Disk Usage stays at 100% for some time continuously. I have seen that Windows 10 is having a bug causing 100% Disk usage. Is my 100% Usage issue related to RAM usage or is this the bug?

I would like to upgrade my RAM to whatever maximum size is possible. Can I insert a 16GB RAM in the second slot? Would that make my total RAM 20GB? And can you please tell me if the following are a good choice or not? Will I be having compatibility issues with any of them and if possible, please do recommend one.

ADATA Premier AD4S2666316G19-R 16GB DDR4 2666MHz 260-pin SODIMM RAM

HyperX Fury 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM Black XMP Desktop Memory (HX426C16FB3/16)

Crucial Basics 16GB DDR4 1.2v 2666Mhz CL19 UDIMM RAM Memory Module for Desktop

I am also posting my CPU-Z and Task Manager snapshots. Don't know why CPU-Z wasn't listing my slots(I am running as an admin).

Your help will be really appreciated and give me a quick reply if possible. :)

Options

1234 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

144 Signins

6636 Page Views

• Views: 6636
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:100% Disk Usage and RAM Upgrade in Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB (Type 81DE) [URGENT]

2020-08-10, 9:05 AM

Hi there avikai,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

For a Ideapad that is running 4gb RAM only, the CPU usage and Ram usage % from your task manager picture seems to be within the norm. 4GB is not a lot to work with as Window's itself can require everything from 0.87gb to 3.5gb, even up to 4gb. Depending on the system and how much it is able to take from the system. From your system I would guess it grabs about half.

100% Disk Usage have no correlation to the amount of ram you have, that would rather be seen in CPU usage, and as mentioned above, you are fine in that matter.

This could be cause by bad sectors on your drive for which I would run a CHKDSK scan of your HDD.  Since the HDD in question is also the boot drive, then it requires some special parameters. You can find all of the information needed in the link.

As for the memory upgrade for your device. These are the Specs for the 330-15IKB (MT: 81DE)

Memory Specs:

• 16GB max / 2133MHz DDR4, optional 4GB memory soldered to systemboard, one DDR4 SO-DIMM socket

You can find the compatible memory modules through the guide below. 

This is the official guide on getting OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) parts:

How to Look Up and Purchase Accessories, Upgrades, and FRU/CRU Replacement Parts

Using your serial number in the parts lookup can get you the OEM whitelisted part number and other compatible substitutes if available.

As long as the memory module is of 2133Mhz DDR SO-DIMM or higher (3200Mhz will just be downgraded to your 4GB 2133Mhz etc), then you can pick whatever brand as far as I know. Without compatibility Issues.  My personal preference is  Crucial and HyperX.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

4 Posts

08-09-2020

IN

4 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re:100% Disk Usage and RAM Upgrade in Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB (Type 81DE) [URGENT]

2020-08-10, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the very detailed answer @Voithos. Really appreciate the help.

@ Voithos wrote:

As long as the memory module is of 2133Mhz DDR SO-DIMM or higher (3200Mhz will just be downgraded to your 4GB 2133Mhz etc), then you can pick whatever brand as far as I know. Without compatibility Issues.  My personal preference is  Crucial and HyperX.

I am planning to go for a 16GB Adata DDR4 since it's the only one available in my nearby store and doesn't have a lot of options to choose from due to this COVID situation. I hope Adata is okay.

100% Disk Usage have no correlation to the amount of ram you have, that would rather be seen in CPU usage, and as mentioned above, you are fine in that matter.

This could be cause by bad sectors on your drive for which I would run a CHKDSK scan of your HDD.  Since the HDD in question is also the boot drive, then it requires some special parameters. You can find all of the information needed in the link.

This was the next issue I was having, I performed a CHKDSK and rebooted which took me some time, and it was shown that the check and fixes were performed, unfortunately, no log was present to know what actually happened. As output, I checked the disk usage after turning ON and simultaneously opened some tabs at the same time, of course, it has some instances of 100%, but overall it looked good to me. So I guess I am gonna do the upgrade assuming this issue can be fixed using CHKDSK if it comes up anytime later. I am attaching a snap pf the Task Manager now. 

Just to be aware of the worst-case, what might be the solution if this becomes a big issue again? And do you have any suggestions to improve the performance, like installing SSD, which will be good for this system? The system claims to have an i7-8th Gen processor whose power I haven't been able to see until now.

Options

1234 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

144 Signins

6636 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-08-10, 12:58 PM

You will probably see a great deal more performance with more ram, as you are currently using quite a lot of it. 

When it comes to getting an SSD f.ex, there are night and day differences between a SSD and HDD, so you will also notice great change in that, especially if the SSD holds the Operating System.

Now, looking over the specs of the 330-15IKB and the Front part of the System board, this is what I found:

Storage Specs:

• Some: HDD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high 
  • Some: SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide 
  • Some: M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s (e.g. xxxGB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe) 
  • Some: M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s (e.g. xxxGB SSD M.2 2242 PCIe NVMe)

**Note: The ones in bold text is the options for your IKB, as your board does not have any M.2 slots.

Then looking at the Board: 

ODD is the port meant for optical disk drives - CD, DVD, BLU-RAY. But SATA is SATA. Putting a hard drive there should work as well as on any other disk drive port, if it fits within the device, if not then you will simply have to replace the HDD with an SSD, which will most likely be the case in a laptop device with not much space to work with.

I would check the OEM Parts lookup guide that I posted further up for compatibility/substitute drives, if any.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

4 Posts

08-09-2020

IN

4 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-08-10, 17:54 PM

The main issue I'm having here is the Disk Usage 100%, which doesn't seem to be present right now after CHKDSK, but I'm seriously worried if it would cause issues in the future. Would using a 256GB SSD for C file system be a permanent solution for the disk usage issue? If yes, I'm planning to go for RAM up-gradation of 8GB and including an SSD  for C. Wouldn't the performance be much better with this? It would have been really nice if I could exactly know the issue with my HDD that is causing 100%  Disk Usage.

Options

1234 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

144 Signins

6636 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-08-11, 9:03 AM

If the device is a few years, then this can happen from time to time on HDD's.  These are usually just bad / problematic sectors that are easily cleaned up with either Disk Fragmentation or CHKDSK.

As the HDD is a bunch of mechanical, magnetic movable parts. This does require maintenance from time to time.

Having that said, an SSD is as I said a big improvement. If you decide to try and replace the HDD with one, then be aware that the recovery partition for your OS is on that drive.

So you have a few options.

Method 1:

Fetching The Lisence key through CMD(Powershell)>

In PowerShell/Command Prompt(admin) type the following :

"wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" without the quotations.

If you manage to fetch the key, you can skip to Method 3, but this time you insert the key.

Method 2:

From the Support Page, search with serial number, go to "Drivers & Software" then order recovery media. Which you then use to install OS on your new drive.

Method 3:

Download Microsoft USB Creator, create bootable usb, install "select "i have no key" during install, then install all drivers from Support Page then update windows.

Installing from the Windows Creation Tool

Regards

Voithos

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete