English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-01-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 13

14ARE05 Flex 14 - Pen desyncs

2020-09-01, 7:05 AM

I'm having trouble with the Base Pen II that comes with this laptop. When using it in drawing applications which require a lot of frequent sketching-type motions, the pen frequently desyncs and the cursor quits moving. This usually resolves itself after anywhere from a 1-3 seconds, but it is highly disruptive and frustrating to deal with.

At first I thought this might be due to a defective pen, because contacting support resulted in them sending a replacement. However, the problem is present in the replacement pen as well.

Are there any troubleshooting steps for this? Lenovo has no information on this pen anywhere on their site, and no CS/tech support rep could tell me anything about it.

Solved! See the solution
Options

1591 Posts

03-11-2020

Norway

178 Signins

8331 Page Views

• Views: 8331
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:14ARE05 Flex 14 - Pen desyncs

2020-09-01, 8:38 AM

@ angelar_ wrote:

I'm having trouble with the Base Pen II that comes with this laptop. When using it in drawing applications which require a lot of frequent sketching-type motions, the pen frequently desyncs and the cursor quits moving. This usually resolves itself after anywhere from a 1-3 seconds, but it is highly disruptive and frustrating to deal with.

At first I thought this might be due to a defective pen, because contacting support resulted in them sending a replacement. However, the problem is present in the replacement pen as well.

Are there any troubleshooting steps for this? Lenovo has no information on this pen anywhere on their site, and no CS/tech support rep could tell me anything about it.

Hi Angelar_

Welcome to the Community Forums

Try to Download and update the newest Bluetooth and Pen drivers from the Support Page if available for your device.  Usually found under "Bluetooth & Modem" and "Mouse, Pen & Keyboard".

In regards to the Lenovo Active Pen 2 , some have problems with the spring not pushing the battery in the pen properly, which causes power cut outs/desyncs and false battery readings. See Youtube Video

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

5 Posts

09-01-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2020-09-12, 6:24 AM

I tried these steps and they did not work. I had a spare OEM spring from the other pen that they sent the replacement for. I connected it to the spring of the new pen and reassembled the pen, with no change in behavior. The pen feels solid and does not rattle or anything. The pen still stops functioning during work and is a huge fuss to get working again.

Is this even an Active Pen 2? On the label it reads "Base Pen II," and there isn't even an apparent model number. Like I said, no Lenovo rep has been able to give me a definitive answer on this, and theres 0 support material online for "Base Pen II." It also doesn't look like an Active Pen 2. Yet it frequently is suggested to me that it is one, in spite not saying that it is, and it looking nothing like one.

Options

5 Posts

09-01-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2020-09-17, 10:04 AM

No further assistance with this?

Options

5 Posts

09-01-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2020-09-30, 5:43 AM

Well, I guess everyone who comes to my thread searching for answers will plainly be able to see Lenovo offers a single non-solution before giving up :)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

08-29-2020

India

10 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 6 of 13

2020-10-04, 8:46 AM

I too have this same issue. Lenovo offers the ACTIVE PEN 2 only in some regions. Otherwise its what they call the BASE Pen II as you said. I have the same one. 

If you have the same pen as mine, then its called the "Lenovo Digital Pen" ( yeah that's it) on the lenovo US accessories website. 

I have a feeling that its a software issue. Its almost as if the part of the cache memory/ buffer or whatever they call it of the laptop that deals with pen input  is "Running out of memory" and need a few seconds to settle down. The region where it stopped responding blink twice and its ready to go again.  I use the laptop for note taking and This problem is less when you write slowly. 

Recently after the latest AMD updates this issue has taken a turn for the worse. Now the the entire PC hangs from time to time if I don't stop using the pen while its "thinking" and try to force it to write. 

The white hover pointer appears for some time, but the pen doesn't write. Then it completely stops showing up, the touch freezes and then the entire PC freezes. It seems there is some driver conflict issue causing windows itself to hang.

Sometime the issue sort itself out after a few seconds. some times its just freezes and a HARD REBOOT is the only solution.

Options

6 Posts

08-29-2020

India

10 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2020-10-04, 8:47 AM

Link for the Pen I got with my laptop.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/pens-and-supplies/pens/TAB-ACC-BO-Lenovo-Digital-Pen-WW/p/GX80U45010

Options

15 Posts

10-07-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 8 of 13

2020-10-07, 20:01 PM

Hi,

I have the same issues. In my case, I use for on-line board activities; therefore, touch screen is the main propose.  Unfortunately, It is no possible to perform a flawless writing. I also confirm that it got worse in recent day ¿Update conflicts?. I know the pen connects in a way other than BT, but I paired a BT mouse and it has the same behavior with pointer. Of course, BT mouse works OK with other laptop.

Flex 5, 14ARE05, 16 Gb RAM, Ryzen 4500U. 

Options

5 Posts

09-01-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2020-10-08, 1:42 AM

For the record, there's been no resolution for me for this problem. It still happens at random intervals.

Options

6 Posts

08-29-2020

India

10 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2020-10-12, 14:56 PM

I had not used the laptop heavily and mostly used it in touchscreen/pen mode.  After considerable use, I have found that its not just the pen, this kind of flickering/stuttering happens with the trrackpad too and sometimes with the keyboard except that the keyboard & trackpad stuttering doesn't cause the PC to completely become unresponsive unlike the pen which does. 

After one to two minutes of continuous use of the trackpad (think moving files around in folders or working on a word document) the trackpad suddenly lags, the windows flicker for two seconds after which it catches up again with my movement, (just like the pen). Same with the Keyboard lag. I have been able to solve the keyboard lag to an extent my increasing "Character Repeat Delay" in Control Panel to the fastest setting. But the issue is still there ever so slightly every few minutes.

I think there is some driver problem/conflict  for the entire I/O (trackpad, keyboard and Pen). But the Pen stuttering and consequent freezing is the most annoying and can cause you to lose a lot of your work if it comes to hard restarting. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms