Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-12-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 15

320 15ABR Freezing

2018-05-12, 17:09 PM

New laptop. Continually freezing. Nothing special about my software. Updated BIOS to 5QCN21WW. No love. I've had Lenovos before and was very satisfied. This is disppointing. Seached for various issues that may cause this problem. Seems a geneally solution might be to backflash BIOS but I can't find any old versions. Could be a driver issues but what driver? Lenovo Utility won't launch, not will LBS. Running Win 10, x64. Any ideas appreciated. If I can't get this fixed back this laptop goes. Sadly. Great laptop when it works.

Options

1 Posts

08-27-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

8 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 8
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: 320 15ABR Freezing

2018-08-27, 20:03 PM

Hiya,

I also have a 320 15ABR with AMD graphics and an AMD A12 processor.  It’s been freezing constantly for about 3 months, only a hard bump will get it running again and I Haven’t been able to firmly identify a cause apart from error messages suggesting it is a hardware issue but not telling me which bit of hardware.  So I have read a few of these threads on this forum and had a play.

I think I have solved mine - it’s been running for 2 straight days 24 hours a day and is still working.

Now I’m not sure which if these helped but this is what i did.

Device Manager - open the “firmware’ option and righ click on Lenovo System Firmware and select update.  Wait and reboot. This reboot will take ages as it is updating the BIOS etc. 

Back to Device Manager and Update the AMD Radeon Graphics Drivers in the same way as above.

Run windows Update 2 or 3 times and restart as required

Run Office 365 update

Disable screen saver and power off/standby options for when laptop is plugged in - I went into the Adavnced power options and disabled Hard disk spool down timer and other options

I also opened msconfig and disabled the startup program that were not essential to my work - there’s lots of manufacturers who have auto updates, and other bloatware that kicks in at startup.

after I had done all this, my ideapad now seems to work fine and I hope your does too.

Cheers

Simon

Options

39 Posts

07-23-2018

55 Signins

534 Page Views

• Views: 534
  • Message 3 of 15

2018-09-03, 7:05 AM

It's a very common issue with the Ideapad 320 and it happens to mine too (I have Intel 620 graphics). I've literally read hundreds of posts online with possible fixes but none worked for me. Most of the time when someone thinks they've fixed it, the problem reappears after a week or so. I thought I'd fixed it by updating the graphics driver because my computer worked for 5 days but no, I had spoken too soon. Lenovo told me it was a hardware problem because it happens even in the factory default configuration. My computer has been in and out of their repair centre for the last 6 months and I've basically not had a working machine in all that time. They now claim that there is nothing wrong with my machine and that it has passed its hardware tests (their tests obviously don't cover our problem). So I'm basically stuck with a faulty machine. They won't honour their warranty. I just can't believe they would treat me like this, especially since this is obviously a well-known fault with their product. If you bought it within the last 30 days I would ask for a refund - I think they'll give it to you within 30 days but not after. Don't get stuck in their horrible repair process.

Options

6571 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

997 Signins

33254 Page Views

• Views: 33254
  • Message 4 of 15

2018-09-03, 15:30 PM

Hi Ampwizard! Sorry to hear that. Was there any error messages when it freezes? If yes, could you provide to us a screenshot?

Can you try to download and install HDTune (3rd party HDD utility) https://lnv.gy/2NLYT4z then run an error scan on the HDD. When finished, paste the result of the Health and Error scan Tab here (see reference article https://lnv.gy/2NLYTBB).

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

39 Posts

07-23-2018

55 Signins

534 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2018-09-03, 17:48 PM

I just got it back from the repair centre. They say they had it running for a week and couldn't reproduce the fault. I just ran it for 3 hours and reproduced it. I didn't install any new software, just turned it on, connected it to a WiFi network and waited. There is never an error screen even after rebooting. I could install that 3rd party HDD utility but I'm assuming that the Lenovo engineers have already tried that since it's had 4 attempted repairs now.

Options

6571 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

997 Signins

33254 Page Views

• Views: 33254
  • Message 6 of 15

2018-09-03, 18:47 PM

Our technician will not perform any troubleshooting steps on any computer. There job is to identify the hardware part that needs repair or replacement. Since you mentioned that the tech said there is no hardware failure, we'll try to perform some steps to isolate and troubleshoot the problem if needed. Update us with the result of the Health and Error scan tab. John_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

39 Posts

07-23-2018

55 Signins

534 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2018-09-04, 9:14 AM

There job is to identify the hardware part that needs repair or replacement.  

What does the HDD utility do if not to figure out  if the hard drive needs to be replaced? If that is what it does then you said it yourself: it's their job to run this.

My computer is in its factory default state and is currently frozen. I'm taking it to the shop where I bought it so I can get an independent witness in case I have to take Lenovo to court over breach of warranty. So I can't currently help you guys find the hardware fault that your service engineers were not bothered to find (while wasting 6 months of my time).

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Views: 1696
  • Message 8 of 15

2018-09-04, 9:51 AM

Hey there,

Another help here. Just to confirm, when you encountered the freezing issue on the laptop, were you using a certain application or program? Were you playing games when the problem happened? 

In addition, you may check this article https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/troubleshoot/lpt000634?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 and try following the provided troubleshooting steps, then see if it will work out. Let us know how it goes. 

Regards! 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

39 Posts

07-23-2018

55 Signins

534 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2018-09-04, 10:02 AM

Hi, the freezes do not depend on the application that is running. It has happened with the computer just idling. Most recently this is how I reproduced the issue:

1. Received the computer from the repair centre in a factory reset state.

2. Turned it on.

3. Connected it to Wi-Fi.

4. Opened Microsoft Edge.

5. Waited 3 hours.

My computer has Intel UHD 620 graphics. I've tried various drivers including the latest from Intel's website but the issue was not resolved.

The computer does not work in its default state. If you are suggesting that it may be a driver issue then surely this problem will affect all computers that Lenovo has sold with the same configuration as mine?

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Views: 1696
  • Message 10 of 15

2018-09-04, 11:01 AM

, kindly run the hardware scan using the Lenovo Vantage app https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505081?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 and check for an error code. Also, use the Lenovo Vantage app to check for an update. Update us again! 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms