Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

05-14-2018

Indonesia

23 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 11 of 23

Re: 720S-13ARR: updating bios to fails (6KCN29WW to 6KCN38WW)

2018-06-02, 2:52 AM

Hi, i hv been working around for quite sometime now. I installed 3 different drivers and here what I found:

1. Latest AMD driver from Lenovo website (which compatible with 37ww/38ww), worst out of 3. There was green square boxes appear when watching Youtube, and black screen more often. It seems Lenovo underclocked the GPU to 200Mhz.

2. Driver from Windows (Device Manager-->Driver Update). It seems Okay, didnt test it long enought sice AMD software is missing. And I couldnt install any other driver after, so i have to reset Windows to Install new driver.

3. Driver from AMD website. Can not be installed, couldn find driver.

4. Current Driver for 29WW. Clocked at 300Mhz.

Basically, more clock speed required more Volt for GPU to be stable. So I suspect either Lenovo didnt put enougt power to GPU or GPU clocked too fast for the machine to power up the GPU. Unfortunately, there is no way I can Underclock/Overvolt the GPU myself, even if I can it might affect my warranty. 

Here is the best setting I could find for this time:

1. Put Battery Mode to Best Performance all the time, since basically it gives more power to CPU/GPU. But less battery.

2. Change TDR to 8.

3. Turn On FPS control in Radeon Setting and set it to 60fps.

With this setting I never encounter Youtube Issue, at least when all i do is watching and light office task. Wathing Youtube and editing Photo/Video is different story.

Sorry for bad grammar

Best Regard,

Eddy

Options

9 Posts

05-14-2018

Indonesia

23 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 12 of 23

2018-06-06, 1:35 AM

Well, i tried Driver from Windows (Device Manager>Update Driver). It doesn't work for me, driver/bios issue is still there when watching Youtube. Its really annoying, Im thinking to send back this laptop if there is no fix this month. 

Options

4 Posts

06-17-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 13 of 23

2018-07-09, 1:27 AM

I did the same thing on firefox with turning off hardware acceleration and this has fixed the problem permanently for me so hopefully you are good.

Options

18 Posts

04-12-2017

United States of America

104 Signins

512 Page Views

• Views: 512
  • Message 14 of 23

2018-07-09, 21:35 PM
turning off features is not really a fix.
Options

4 Posts

05-29-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 15 of 23

2018-07-10, 0:34 AM

Agreed. As soon as i can im going to chew out Lenovo and send it in. Not being able to update drivers and system instability are absolutely unacceptable. 

Options

18 Posts

04-12-2017

United States of America

104 Signins

512 Page Views

• Message 16 of 23

2018-07-10, 4:06 AM

agreed. Just be aware after an online session with Lenovo where they tried to update the bios ( they took control of my laptop)I guess they figured i didnt know what i was doing)). Lenovo requested i return it for service. It was received on June 20th. It has showed in progress since then. After numerous attempts to inquire about status, i was first admonished that the turn around time was 9 business days and it would be completed within that time. I inquired about possible parts shortages and was assured there were plenty of parts to complete repairs. I requested and update on the repair and was told and email would follow progress.  After 9 days passed i again inquired and was told that Lenovo was sorry for the delay. After pressing for a time frame i was informed that there were parts shortages and that my repari would be escalated..... I inquired a few days later i received and email part of which included the following. 

We have received your unit in our service centre. A technician will be assigned to run full diagnostics and repair. Should there be any reasons that may delay service, we値l immediately notify you.

This email was sent on July 5th 11 business days after it was received........ I responded to that email again asking for a time frame and on the 7th i received this.....

We sincerely apologize for the delay, currently, the repair is still in process. We understand this is way beyond the repair turnaround time, with that, a request to expedite the repair has been forwarded to the assigned tech.  Currently, we have backlogs with our repairs due to the recent transfer.  But rest assured we're speeding up the repair.

We greatly appreciate your patience on this.  Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

What this mean i really dont know.... I do know that on May 18th I purchased a laptop from Lenovo that did not function as it was intended or advertised to. Lenovo has had it as long i have.

It still isnt fixed and a cant get any answerer other than be patient. But i am still paying for this....

I know not every repair goes smoothly and i have been there before.Lenovo's customer service has let me down. I intend to let others know. 

Based on this level of service i would not purcase another Lenovo. 

To be fair my previous Lenovo has been great and Lenovo's customer service treated me well in the past. Even sending me a USB drive when for whatever reason i was unable to download recovery media.

Just my rant. I am documenting everything as i have no confidence this will work out.

Good luck to all

Options

4 Posts

05-29-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 17 of 23

2018-07-10, 7:36 AM

Yeah, i really dont get it. I flashed plenty of BIOS's at Microsoft, unlocking them was really a simple procedure. I can only imagine they must have the correct tools, and the process is relatively short, maybe a few minutes at most. Otherwise, they should be replacing main boards, which again, shouldnt take very long. I feel like lenovo made a major Engineering faux pas with this laptop, either the firmware or hardware was not diligently inspected and reviewed before final production. 

Options

4 Posts

06-17-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 18 of 23

2018-07-10, 15:29 PM

I’ve had a good experience so far with Lenovo and I’m shipping it for repair today but this will definently determine whether I get another product. They say repairs should take 5 days when it reaches but we’ll see. 

Options

18 Posts

04-12-2017

United States of America

104 Signins

512 Page Views

• Message 19 of 23

2018-07-10, 17:50 PM
I hope your experience is better than mine.
Good luck
Options

18 Posts

04-12-2017

United States of America

104 Signins

512 Page Views

• Message 20 of 23

2018-07-11, 21:17 PM

Ok i have an update.

Again i had to request and update after Lenovo indicated they would email me with the status.... Again a canned response from lenovo. 

I called customer support and spoke with a rep.... After reviewing everything with not much additional information i pressed for more. What i found was Lenovo notes had some information and not other... It showed my laptop was recieved on June 20th. No work seemed to have been done till thier facility was transferred from Louisville Ky to Memphis Tn..... Her notes did not show that this case was escalated as previous contact indicated that it was. Previously i had been told someone would contact me. Her notes did not. Though it did show i contacted Lenovo numerous times. I requested a manager or supervisor numerous times and was put on hold same..... No manager was present but i would be contacted by phone or email in 3 days just as i had been told before. 

You know i can on but as i said before. I bought a laptop from Lenovo. They have it i want it and they wont give it back.

No confidence in Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms