Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-29-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 5

BIOS update GJCN22WW bricked my Flex 5 14ALC05

2021-06-30, 20:55 PM

So, Windows won't boot anymore. Black Screen. 

Can only access """"Bios"""", if you can call Lenovos Update Utility that. And oh yeah, I only updated the Bios because someone from your Email support team advised me to.

And you know what the worst part is? Lenovo only offers the BIOS in .exe format. No Binaries. Means I can't even just take an USB Stick and flash it manually.

Great work guys, really. Please someone link me those binaries and tell me how in gods name I can restore that thing.

I'm not even mad. Just very, very disappointed.

Options

4241 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

23628 Page Views

• Views: 23628
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:BIOS update GJCN22WW bricked my Flex 5 14ALC05

2021-07-01, 9:29 AM

Welcome to the Community Forums @Retenor 

Sorry to know you've experienced such incident. Perhaps try initiating a power drain to your device first as a preliminary step.

- Check if there is still any remaining battery power, able to power up the machine.
- Disconnect all cables and/or peripheral devices connected to the machine (ex. power cable, hdmi cable, external mouse/keyboard, flashdrives, etc).
- Ensure that device is powered/switched off.
- Press and hold down the power button for as long as 60 seconds to drain flea power or excess voltage.
- After 60 seconds, try turning on the unit through Novo button: https://support.lenovo.com/solutions/ht062552

There is a thread on Community where they were able to reflash their bios.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

1 Posts

07-02-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-07-02, 22:53 PM

@ Retenor wrote:

So, Windows won' boot anymore. Black Screen. 

Can only access """"Bios"""", if you can call Lenovos Update Utility that. And oh yeah, I only updated the Bios because someone from your Email support team advised me to.

And you know what the worst part is? Lenovo only offers the BIOS in .exe format. No Binaries. Means I can' even just take an USB Stick and flash it manually.

Great work guys, really. Please someone link me those binaries and tell me how in gods name I can restore that thing.

I' not even mad. Just very, very disappointed.

@ Retenor this happened to me too. I was prompted to update the bios via the system update utility and... dead. Exact same error from the exact same bios update. Lenovo support this is REALLY bad. You cannot push a bios out that does this... This bios needs to be taken down until this is addressed.

That being said... here is the temp fix that worked for me. I was able to get to the broken bios using the Novo button. It displayed the same OilSetup error when first entering the Bios or when attempting to save. The below fix does involve taking off the bottom panel and unplugging the battery. 

1. Following the hardware maintenance guide remove the 9 screws holding the bottom cover to the laptop. Make sure to keep note of where each screw goes as they are different specific lengths. (sigh..)
2. With the screws removed very carefully pry the bottom cover off.
3. Using your fingernail remove the battery cable from the motherboard. Don't pull the cable itself as it is fragile. There is a lip on the connector your fingernail should be able pry against.
4. With the battery disconnect let it sit a few minutes to make sure everything is discharged.

5. Hook the battery cable back up and replace the bottom cover.

6. Screw back in the screws to the exact spot they came from (different lengths...)
7. Power on the laptop. When I turned my laptop back on I received the following messages:
     C08270: Real Time Clock Error - Check Date and Time settings
     C08251: System CMOS Checksum bad

8. Hold the power button until the laptop turns off and then turned it back on.

9. Laptop should attempt to boot

In my case (Win 10 Pro / bitlocked drive) the laptop was able to now attempt to boot off the nvme drive. Since it was bitlocked it prompted me to enter my bitlocker recovery key. One entered it booted into windows OK. My laptop is working OK, but the bios is still fubar-ed. I get the same message if I attempt to go into the bios.

Just to see if somehow the bios image was corrupt I re-downloaded ran the gjcn22ww.exe again. It would not update again as it found the same version GJCN22WW was already installed. This further points to a bug of some sort with this version. 

Lenovo support, is there an update being worked on?

Options

5 Posts

07-04-2021

United States of America

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-07-04, 11:45 AM

@jkarr505 I also have the same issue. However, I was able to boot into Windows by holding F12 while booting, and booting from NVMe rather than Windows Boot Manager. I did not need to remove the battery. After doing this once, the computer starts normally. I also tried to flash the BIOS again, but since BIOS Back Flash is not enabled, and I can't enable it due to the error, there is no way of fixing it right now. I hope Lenovo fixes this as soon as possible, as I need to disable secure boot.

Options

5 Posts

06-29-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 50
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-07-04, 12:44 PM

So, I seem to have worked out a temporary, partial fix for the time being.

I took one of my USB Sticks, formatted it with RUFUS (basically default BIOS / Binary settings; FAT32 etc.), went into the boot menu via Fn+F2 at startup and then chose to Boot from said USB Stick.

Funnily enough, despite the USB Stick being completely empty, the Laptop then booted into windows and it does so by default now even without the Stick.

However, the BIOS Error remains, meaning deep down the system is still f'ed. 

Lenovo, this is a huge embarrasement. 

Ontop of that, of course the BIOS flashback is disabled by default (in whatever world this makes logical sense) and I can't change that because of the BIOS error.

@jkarr505 This is most likely also why your re-flash didn't work. If one doesn't manually enable this setting beforehand, the system won't flash an identical or older version.

Also, I appreciate your solution, but since I don't even have hex key screwdriver at home, that wouldn't have done it for me. These type of screws are so much anti consumer, they should be prohibited IF the manufacturer doesn't include one in the box. 

But as it stands, Lenovo doesn't want the buyers to be able to handle a device themselves. This is a huge step backwards in terms of customer friendlyness in every aspect and if this continues, this Flex 5 will be the first and last Lenovo Product I buy. It's a shame, really, because other than the issues listed it's a fine device.

So all in all, I'll be waiting for a new BIOS update file for now. If the future one doesn't fix it, the device will be going back under warranty. 

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean. (NateS)

2nd Moderator comment: Editorial removed to conform with the Community Rules. "Extended debate with moderators or admins over their decisions with regard to moderation of posts is considered trolling." Thread is now locked. (NateS)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms