English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-16-2015

LA

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 4

Battery Puffing on Lenovo ideapad 510-15IKB

2020-07-31, 18:08 PM

I wanted to provide an in-depth report to Lenovo regarding my recent experience with an out-of-warranty Lenovo device...

Lenovo ideapad 510-15IKB
Product number : 80SV005BUS
Bios version : 3JCN31WW

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KCcJutbcsn2735e77

After coming back to my laptop, I noticed it was booting (it must have restarted / shutdown while I was out). I had left it with several apps open, and working on upgrading a remote server (I'm a web developer/programmer/IT person). I was stunned to see it there booting - as I had not been informed of any Windows update that would reboot my machine. That said, it did not successfully boot, but continued to stay on the rotating dotted circle loading screen with the Lenovo picture. I initially believed it to be a software/operating system update, but then realized something was wrong after it would not boot after several attempts, and BIOS provided no additional information. 

I then removed the hard drive (an SSD I installed a long while back) to see if I could further diagnose the issue. That's when I noticed a strange bulge on the bottom of the case. I had previously noticed some warmth on the right-hand side of the laptop when using graphically intense applications, though the bulge was on the left hand side - which seemed rather strange. Once I exhausted my software troubleshooting options, I got ready to open the case, and see what might be causing the issue. I have a video of the process, and can provide it upon request. This device was only warrantied for 1 year, and I did not choose to renew it (I am in Laos, though I am from the USA). 

The moment I released the tension on the final screw (the one with the Lenovo sticker) the case popped - as the battery applied such pressure on the top and bottom of case such that it popped open in that section (you can hear that moment in the video as a moderately loud pop sound). That's when I realized something was very wrong.

Upon further inspection, I confirmed that the battery was puffed up quite large (my calipers measured 6.3mm height for the more normal part of the battery, but one side had expanded up to 16.7mm height). No heat, fumes, and changes in size were noted as the battery was extracted, and placed in a metal box outdoors for safety purposes. Though I do not know what the chemical composition and design of these batteries are, I was highly concerned that in a home, on a lap, or in an airplane, such a battery would be extremely dangerous.

It's to be noted that I reassembled the computer, and am now using it to type this report - so it operates fine without the battery, and the stress on the motherboard does  not seem to have damaged the laptop itself. This laptop has seen a lot of use in high humidity environments (Laos and Cambodia) but the device has been restricted to office use (basically used like a traditional desktop) and transported very little. There were no previous drops, bangs, dents, or other kinds of large exertions of force applied to my knowledge. More photos/video can be provided upon request.

Thanks!

Solved! See the solution
Options

9078 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32588 Signins

1204560 Page Views

• Views: 1204560
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Battery Puffing on Lenovo ideapad 510-15IKB

2020-07-31, 19:55 PM

Hello @rcampbelllaos  Welcome to Community,

May I compliment you on an excellent post,; factual, to the point and complete will all the information one could wish for, a rarity in Community. I'm not going to try and attempt to address why your system was re-starting, I think there could be many causes some of which you mentioned, but would like to address the potentially very concerning battery issue.

Notebook batteries have been a cause of concern for some time now, we have all read the horror stories published in recent years and manage any "abnormal" situation for us, as you did, with extreme caution, I would never advise otherwise. In some boards we have stickied topics concerning battery recalls which were current over 5 years ago, safety is paramount and we still have them there today for information purposes. I would like to bring your attention, and that of other readers, to a Knowledge-base article on the Lenovo eSupport site, link below, which is a battery Q & A and also includes information regarding battery swelling.

https://support.lenovo.com/solutions/ht509084

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

01-16-2015

LA

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2020-08-01, 18:04 PM
Thanks for sharing this link! I read up on it. I guess I've been fortunate for so long in my IT jobs I've never had to deal with it, and was really surprised how crazy a puffed battery looks! Thankfully, did it not further swell, let off any heat, or explode/combust upon moving it into the container and into a safe location. In short, I was able to contain it within a fireproof box, and place it outdoors, until I can figure out a solution for properly disposing it. I don't think there are any e-waste services here in Laos, and Thailand is difficult/impossible to travel to with the lock-downs in place regionally. I am curious though, do you all have battery replacement services in Thailand? It's potentially possible that they *might* be able to transport it from a Nong Khai address (TL Shipping, which is allowed to bring packages into Laos - and is our only current option for getting mail). I don't, however, know what restriction are placed on mailing Lithium Ion batteries here, which may complicate matters...
Options

3 Posts

01-16-2015

LA

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-08-24, 16:21 PM

I just wanted to follow up with my positive experience here. Lenovo has gone above and beyond in this situation to support me and has sent me a replacement battery. They also tried to fully understand the situation and provided helpful information. At no point did they provide any kind of negative experience. This is why my next laptop will likely be a Lenovo. They have provided some of the best and most professional support, and have built some quality machines. My wofe uses a Lenovo for her work, and I use mine as my daily machine as well (even though it's currently missing a battery until I visit the US to pick it up). I've worked in IT for years (over half my life now), but this experience stands out as a positive. If you're considering a Lenovo, you will likely have a very positive experience.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete