Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-24-2020

Indonesia

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 3

Boot Device Missing and Undetected HDD

2021-09-04, 2:33 AM

My laptop is Ideapad 330s-15IKB w/ GTX1050 and Intel Optane. I was using it when suddenly it BSODed and turned off. When i tried to turn it on, it only showed me a "Boot Device Missing" message.

I tried to open BIOS and it showed undetected harddisk. So i opened the laptop and put the HDD to other laptop. And the HDD is detected. So I assumed it must be the cable.

But sometimes, in BIOS the HDD is detected as Intel SSD. So i have no idea what is really going wrong in my laptop. 

I kindly ask for solution for my problem.

Options

1357 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

576 Signins

7005 Page Views

• Views: 7005
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Boot Device Missing and Undetected HDD

2021-09-04, 4:42 AM

Hello,

Your suggestion the cable to your HDD may be defective is consistent with your symptoms.

Intel OPTANE is a special fast and tiny SSD inserted between your system board disk controller and the HDD.  It serves as a cache, placing the next expected to be used disk files into the faster to access SSD.

IF the HDD becomes inaccessible due to bad wires, (or intermittent bad HDD) the system will see the optane device and interpret it as an available storage ssd....

Sometimes the action of mechanically removing then replacing both ends of the cable clean a contact.  (From repair economics when hiring a technician the labor to reach this is often much larger than the cost of a cable, so it is economically expedient to simply replace the cable.)

HDD's are electromechanical devices.  In my experience the latest ones feature automatic error correction/recovery modes that are quite effective, however after they start functioning will mask a failing drive until it is utterly useless.  Backup your user data, and prepare to replace your HDD.  IMHO modern SATA format SSD's are a better replacement option from HDD.  (Although HDD's are amazingly inexpensive nowadays!)

Good Luck,

Usedtoberich

Options

4 Posts

06-24-2020

Indonesia

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Boot Device Missing and Undetected HDD

2021-09-05, 2:36 AM

Hey, thank you for yor answer.

The also suspect that the cable is defective. I'll try to replace it and see if the problem persist.

Edit: but BIOS only detected the intel SSD on a several times. On most of the time the harddisk is shown as undetected. If the HDD cable is indeed defective, wouldnt BIOS detect the SSD in all of the time?

Edit 2: i tried putting other HDD to the laptop using the presumed deffective cable. And it was detected by BIOS. So i guess it's not the cable.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms