Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

06-14-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 1

Boot failure

2020-06-14, 10:47 AM
Hi, I would be so grateful of some ideas about diagnosis and any suggested next steps. I am trapped and I have exhausted the limits of my ability here!... After a browser crash, the OS froze and after a hard restart my laptop won't boot. It's a Lenovo IdeaPad 320 with 8GB RAM, and only a year and 3 months old which I've used basically for web browsing and desktop publishing; so since this has happened without obvious warning I'm presuming this is not an HDD failure. However, I've worked through all the Windows Recovery Environment 'Troubleshoot' menu options (Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Uninstall Updates) without success, and tried checkdisk, sfc and dsim through command prompt, none of which would work. I don't feel confident of trying anything else without doing damage. I don't understand enough to be able to work out what might be wrong... This doesn't immediately follow an update, but I remember an update taking place fairly recently. Three strange things that might contain a clue: 1. The 'Reset this PC' option is not available in the Recovery Environment menus, although I think I do remember seeing it in the early stages of trying to fix this problem. I haven't managed to successfully restart into Safe Mode, which I understand is a common problem with Windows 10. 2. In the early stages of this recovery loop, the Boot Manager menu would only show one option: EFI PXE. However, suddenly, after exhausting all the troubleshoot options, the Boot Manager menu started also showing 'Windows Boot Manager (ST1000LM035-1RK172)'. Selecting this just put me back in the Recovery Environment though. 3. I haven't switched out of UEFI into BIOS Legacy mode, because I don't understand the implications. When I first got the laptop, it displayed occasional messages about a BIOS setting being unsuitable, but i didn't understand what action it wanted me to take, and after some online investigation, failing to find any support from Lenovo, and the messages ceasing, I haven't done anything more about it.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms