Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-10-2015

San Francisco, CA

3 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 6

Buzzing noise from headphone jack when in sleep mode

2015-05-10, 6:27 AM

Hello,

I have a brand new Edge 15 i7.  I have a Y cable plugged into the headphone jack that goes into my stereo.  Whenever I put the computer into sleep mode it makes a loud buzzing noise as if it is ungrounded.  It goes away when I wake the computer.  Is there a fix for this?  Is this a known issue?  Do I need to replace my laptop?

Thanks,

Tim

Options

3 Posts

05-10-2015

San Francisco, CA

3 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Buzzing noise from headphone jack when in sleep mode

2015-05-11, 8:54 AM

Hello again,

Update.  It seems that it only makes the buzzing noise when I close the laptop.  When the laptop times out into sleep when it is open it does not make the sound.  Has enyone else encountered this?  I have seen other people mention this about other lenovo devices.  Anyone??  Hello?!?!?

Tim

Options

9 Posts

04-24-2015

United States of America

15 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 3 of 6

2015-05-19, 7:19 AM

In my case, I got the noise from the external powered PC speakers. At the sleep mode, shut down state, the speakers made the buzzing sound as if I touched the jack of the PC speakers with finger.

Does your headphone use a battery?

In my thought, the power(current) of the laptop leaks into the speakers or your headphone through the audio jack and they probably make the buzzing sound. Anyway, because of that, I replaced it with new one, but still there was same problem, Finally, I returned it. 

Options

12 Posts

10-24-2014

Slovenija

50 Signins

317 Page Views

• Views: 317
  • Message 4 of 6

2015-10-08, 8:16 AM

I have the exact same problem on my z710, did you return it for repairs?

Options

5 Posts

06-21-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 5 of 6

2017-06-21, 23:00 PM

I believe the speaker audio buzz when the computer sleeps is due to a change Lenovo made to more recent machines. I have owned many ThinkPads over the years and only the most recent ones do this to me, while using the same speaker system. For example, my T430 does not buzz, but my Carbon X1 does. (Note that for me, it makes no difference if the PC power cord is plugged in.) I suspect that a higher quality speaker system would filter out the noise, but my $35 Creative Labs A250 buzzes. It's frustrating because I have to remember to unplug the audio cord from the PC before walking away for any period of time (when the PC would go to sleep). I also suspect a driver update won't fix it. I suspect it's a hardware configuration that causes the buzz when power is removed from it.

Options

55 Posts

08-08-2015

Slovenia

58 Signins

454 Page Views

• Views: 454
  • Message 6 of 6

2017-06-22, 14:39 PM

It's really annoying, I agree (this only happens on my T440p - it's fine on the budget ThinkPad E430).

I don't think your spekers are at fault. I have Harman / Kardon Soundsticks II (200 € speakers at the time) and since I was really worried that I'll destroy them, I turned off sleep all together. The buzz was REALLY loud and annoying.

The same happens on Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers (also 200 € speakers) - I use them with my TV, but I did test them on the computer as well.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms