English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

08-19-2018

BE

10 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 1 of 12

Buzzing sound from headphones when charging

2018-08-19, 22:18 PM

So I bought my Ideapad 330s 14" a few days ago. I'm having this issue when my laptop is plugged in for charging I hear a buzzing sound, even when the laptop is turned off. However when I touch the back of my screen (alluminium) the buzzing stops. But as soon as I stop touching it, the buzzing comes back.

The buzzing has a frequency of about 50hz which also is the frequency of the AC/DC adapter (50-60hz). So I was thinking that maybe this has something to do with grounding but I'm not sure. Is anyone else experiencing this? (European charger)

If so, would buying a charger that is grounded help? I mean buying a charger/adapter with a three-pong grounded connector instead of the default two-pong duckhead connector.

This really is a big deal for me since I bought the laptop for music production and I need to be able to produce sound accurately. 

Hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Laptop specs: i5-8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd

Options

736 Posts

08-02-2018

US

411 Signins

10354 Page Views

• Views: 10354
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Buzzing sound from headphones when charging

2018-08-19, 22:53 PM

Hi Mathyz,

Welcome to the community.

It appears that there's an issue with the hardware, but for now, we are not sure if replacing the charger will resolve the problem. We suggest testing a different charger or connect the Lenovo supplied charger to the other laptop to isolate the problem. In addition, are you having another sound issue while using the laptop when it is unplugged? We'd like to look into this closer. 

Thank you.

Auxen_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

11 Posts

08-19-2018

BE

10 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2018-08-20, 8:09 AM

Auxen,

I tested another lenovo laptop (Thinkpad something), which has a different charger. This one doesn't seem to have this problem. I don't have access to any other ideapad charger or laptop.

Except for the buzzing when the laptop is plugged in, I'm not having any other issues.

Since I'm doing music production, I have an audio interface. And when my audio interface is connected to the wall outlet only, the same thing happens as with the laptop. I hear a buzzing sound when I plug my headphones into the interface and the buzzing stops while touching its metal body. And just like with my laptop I hear this buzz, even when it's turned off. 

As soon as I plug the usb (from the interface) into my desktop pc, the buzzing suddenly dissapears. But when I plug the usb in my laptop I still hear the buzzing. 

Since my interface also has a non-grounded plug, that's why I tought there could be a problem with grounding. But I'm not sure.

Thanks, Mathyz

Options

619 Posts

08-02-2018

US

302 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 4 of 12

2018-08-20, 8:51 AM

As the interface also experience the same issue when plugged in to the power outlet, possible that it is related to the grounding. The buzzing sound that occurs when charging the laptop, is it like similar to a whining sound? does that come from the charger adapter itself? It is normal to hear some minimal buzzing sound while charging the laptop and most of them can only be heard when it is placed next to your ear. For now, the best way to isolate the issue is by using a different outlet.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

11 Posts

08-19-2018

BE

10 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2018-08-20, 10:13 AM

I just plugged in the charger in a few different outlets, and I even tested plugging it in an outlet at a friends house. But the buzzing is still present, so changing the outlet doesn't make a difference. The charger itsself doesn't make a sound. And I only hear the buzzing using my earphones, not through the laptops speakers. But I think this is because the sound has a pretty low frequency and the speakers of my laptop are not able to produce this sound clear and audible. 

I made a little .wav file simulating the sound I hear. The wav clip is only a few seconds long but that is the sound I hear continuously. (https://soundcloud.com/mathyzmusic/buzzing-sound/s-xuSPv)

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

US

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Views: 1696
  • Message 6 of 12

2018-08-20, 11:45 AM

Hey there, Mathyz! Another help here. We're unable to open or listen to the file that you have sent due to system restrictions. Just to confirm, in what part of the laptop do you hear the buzzing noise? Do you hear it near the DC jack port of the laptop? What about in the AC adapter? Does the laptop tend to overheat while charging? Also, kindly send us a private message and provide the serial number of the laptop so we can check on it. Regards! 

Options

11 Posts

08-19-2018

BE

10 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2018-08-20, 11:53 AM

The buzzing noise is not coming from the laptop. I hear it only through my earphones, even when the laptop is turned off. But when I either touch the back of my display or when I unplug the laptop the buzzing stops. The laptop doesn't overheat.

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

US

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2018-08-20, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the serial number! We have received it. The good thing is that, the laptop is not overheating while it is charging. It would best to bring the laptop to a service provider https://lnv.gy/2L8TMtb (filter by country) and check for a complete diagnosis/repair service. If you are located in the USA, we can arrange a repair service by contacting the Lenovo Support at 1-877-453-6686 or through here in the community forum.

Options

11 Posts

08-19-2018

BE

10 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2018-08-20, 12:19 PM

You're welcome!

I live in Europe, Belgium so I will call the Belgian number.

Thank you very much for the support!

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

US

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2018-08-20, 12:28 PM

You are very much welcome and it's our pleasure assisting you! Have a wonderful day ahead! 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete