English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-23-2020

BE

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

Can't type accents such as umlaut

2020-09-23, 9:12 AM

Hi all,

I just got my new Ideapad 5 and found out that I can't type accents any more. This is a problem since I'm Dutch and we use accents a lot! On my old Windows laptop I was able to make an umlaut by pressing Shift + " and then the letter, an e for instance. This is a letter+accent combo that gets used a lot. 

I learned that if I press Ctrl + ' I can make an accent aigu, but this only works in Word and not in my browser (Firefox). Trying to do the same with the " yields no response anywhere (Firefox or Word), the e remains a plain e.

I also tried changing my keyboard language, this made no difference.

I know I can use Alt codes, but that is really time consuming and awkward, I would like to avoid having to do that at all costs.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me it's just a matter of changing a setting! 

Solved! See the solution
Options

1020 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

123 Signins

5676 Page Views

• Views: 5676
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Can't type accents such as umlaut

2020-09-23, 9:26 AM

Hi v_jane,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Most commonly this is changed by changing the keyboard language. Is the keyboard layout physically different then previous keyboards you have used ? 

QWERTY layouts are the most common, and the runner up is DVORAK layouts.  (See Alternative Keyboard Layouts)

When you mention that you have tried changing languages, but it doesn't work, the only thing I can think of is that you have a different layout then what you are used to.

When you press the windows key + space.  Do you see the change between language layouts on the right side of the screen?

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

09-23-2020

BE

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Can't type accents such as umlaut

2020-09-25, 9:48 AM

Hi Voithos,

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I have a regular QWERTY keyboard of which the language is set to US English. However, I have been switching between languages by going into Settings, which didn't change anything. Now that I've tried your Windows key + space bar suggestion, it does work! Thank you so much!!! This has been very frustrating over the past few days, now I can type quickly again haha

Regards, Jantine

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete