English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-17-2020

CZ

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Can't update my Lenovo Ideapad 710s bios

2020-10-17, 16:23 PM

I've installed Linux on my 710s which required me to change the bios to one created only for Linux. Several issues occurred, the deal breaker was that the webcam wasn't working. I tried everything and it doesn't work. So I decided to go back to Windows. 

However, after installing windows the Webcam issues continued and no amount of software tinkering removed the problem. 

Furthermore, I'm not able to install the most optimal bios for 710s: 3HCN42WW, only the Linux exclusive 3HCN42WW. 

Is there some way to force the bios installation? Given that the change of bios was the moment that the webcam stopped working, I don't see it being repaired without bios change. 

Another ridiculous thing is that the Lenovo page offers only the 2 bioses, why can't I download other historical versions to try. 

Can anyone help please?I tried everything including 2 reinstalling windows, once resetting with one key recovery. 

EDIT: I'm not able to install the Linux exclusive driver either and the drive surprisingly isn't matching the bios I have after the one key recovery right now. So I'm confused about whether the problem is in bios or not, the only thing clear is:

-bios can't be updated

-webcam doesn't work 

Options

469 Posts

05-14-2020

US

203 Signins

2410 Page Views

• Views: 2410
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Can't update my Lenovo Ideapad 710s bios

2020-10-18, 13:15 PM

Hello,

If you type into a web search engine "webcam does not work ubuntu linux"  a link to an informative ubuntu wiki troubleshooting page will raise.  If you are not using ubuntu linux the exact actions suggested may not be as effective as actions suggested for your exact selection of linux distribution.

Have you tried an external usb webcam?   It could be the hardware itself chose an inconvenient time to fail.

Good Luck,

Usedtoberich 

Options

2 Posts

10-17-2020

CZ

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-10-18, 16:52 PM

I've tried absolutely everything including several reinstalls of both Linux and Windows operating systems, trying out every possible lenovo software combination. 

I can't believe it's an accident (unless the bios flesh bricked my webcam), because it happened at the exact time of the transition and the bios can't be updated again. Where's an explanations for that? 

Options

15 Posts

10-14-2020

US

12 Signins

345 Page Views

• Views: 345
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-10-18, 20:21 PM

Would it be possible to use this approach to roll back your bios? 

https://medium.com/@BladeCoder/flash-your-lenovo-ideapad-laptop-bios-from-linux-using-uefi-capsule-updates-a82e455ea29c

I am kinda in the same boat with the most recent bios update, prompted by Lenovo Vantage, at restarting after installation the entire system is not bootable now. I am still searching a way to update the bios without the use of Windows.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete