Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-30-2021

Sweden

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

Connect monitor through USB-C 3.0

2021-03-30, 9:13 AM

Hi everyone,

I have an Ideapad 720s with a dedicated graphics card: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design".

I'm trying to connect two 'Dell 24" P2421 WUXGA IPS' monitors to my laptop.

EDIT: Here's more specific information

Lenovo ideapad 720S-15IKB; Model name: 81AC; MO: R9N0B862700J; MTM: 81AC000FMX;

I have two USB-C ports on the laptop. My plan was to connect the two external monitors using HDMI to USB-C cables, one monitor to each USB-C port.

As I've now noticed, the two USB-C on the laptop are not the same. According to Lenovo one is a thunderbolt USB-C, the second one a USB 3.0. Through the thunderbolt USB-C port the external displays work fine, both cables and monitors, so no hardware issues. So far: 1 out of 2 external displays work.

Now for the second display I connect it to the other USB-C port but I cannot get the second monitor to work through this port. The USB 3.0 works with other devices, so it's not broken. And going into the display settings for Windows: Windows cannot detect the second external monitor. (See screenshots at the end)

What I've gathered through some online research is that a USB 3.0 should in fact be able to run a monitor.

One way to get around this issue, from what I understand, is to just buy a hub and connect both monitors through the single thunderbolt supported USB-C, correct? If so, let's call that plan B.

So my question is this: How do I get the second display to work with my current setup?

Side question that I became aware of now that I tried to connect my monitors. (Maybe this ties in to the issue I'm experiencing with the monitors?)

The monitor I'm connecting through the thunderbolt USB-C port seems to run on the Intel HD Graphics 630 rather than NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Is this normal? Is there a way to make sure the NVIDIA card is being used for graphics? I'm a bit worried that I'm somehow ending up running everything on the CPU rather than the GPU. I bought this laptop a couple of years ago because I wanted to be able to do some light gaming on it and run CAD.  The game APEX Legends was unplayable, too much lag even on the lowest of the lowest settings, not to mention unenjoyable at that point. Could this have been because of the computer not running the game using the GTX 1050 Ti?

In DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag) the NVIDIA card shows up under the "Render" tab, so it is detected. But for the Display 1 and Display 2 tab (laptop monitor and one of the external monitors) it says Intel(R) HD Graphics 630. (See screenshots at the end)

Thank you for your help!

Options

2435 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

155 Signins

14071 Page Views

• Views: 14071
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Connect monitor through USB-C 3.0

2021-03-30, 12:45 PM

Hello duckdog,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Good to know you are here. I might suggest that you share the complete unit model and the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.

Let us know once convenient.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

03-30-2021

Sweden

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-03-30, 12:54 PM

Thanks! And thanks for your reply. I found the following information printed under my laptop:Lenovo ideapad 720S-15IKBModel name: 81ACMO: R9N0B862700JMTM: 81AC000FMX

Options

3 Posts

03-30-2021

Sweden

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-03-31, 13:08 PM

Any ideas, anyone?

I was thinking. I have a displayport cable that came with the monitor. Can I daisy-chain the monitors together with the DP-cable, then from one of the monitors go from HDMI to usb C thunderbolt, and have the signal go through this single cable?

So from usb-c thunderbolt -> monitor 1 by means of "usb-c to hdmi cable". Then connecting monitor 1 with monitor 2 through daisy chain displayport cable.

Possible?

Options

2435 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

155 Signins

14071 Page Views

• Views: 14071
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-03-31, 20:06 PM

Hi duckdog,

Apologies for the late reply.

According to the user manual of the unit (page 6), the USB C port on the left side functions as USB 3.1, Display 1.2 output, and Thunderbolt output. This means that it is the only port capable for projecting external display.

Finding a compatible docking station to this device to duplicate the display would be a challenge as there is no one listed on the compatibility matrix and smartfind site. Getting a docking station would be a challenge.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms