English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-29-2020

MY

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 3

Dolby Audio not compatible after reinstalling updated drivers

2020-05-29, 4:40 AM

Hope someone here can help me fix this.

I experienced an issue with Dolby Audio after running a clean boot "there is a problem accessing the dolby audio driver, please restart the computer or reinstall the driver if the problem persists". I followed steps I found online to uninstall Realtek (everything Realtek, including the program and drivers in device manager), because Dolby comes with it, and then reinstall the drivers from pcsupport.lenovo.com. I installed the Dolby Audio driver from the website first, and then the realtek audio driver, and then I experienced an issue where I had completely no sound, and no audio driver showing in Device Manager. 

After restarting several times, re-running the .exe files and respective setup files again, and eventually discovering about having to enable Dolby in services.msc after much research online, the drivers showed up in device manager and sound returned when I restarted. I figure I uninstalled the Realtek stuff under "Audio inputs and outputs" in Device Manager, hence the problem with no sound. There may have been a few things i missed out here / The sequence of events might not be exactly what I did, as I'm not really sure.

Now I have a new issue. When I open up Dolby Audio, it says "This application is not compatible with your device". All solutions on Lenovo sites and others suggest to simply uninstall the Realtek drivers and install the newest ones on pcsupport.lenovo.com. However, this is what caused me the problem with no sound (uninstalling Realtek) in the first place and I don't want that to happen again as I have loads of online meetings so I need my laptop audio to work.

After much research online, I found that I should have just re-enabled Dolby in services.msc straight away because the clean boot had disabled it, but it's too late for that now.

Other potentially useful info:

Lenovo Ideapad 330-15ARR (Windows 10)

There is no Dolby / Realtek appearing in Control Panel -> Programs and Features

Dolby Audio appears in Settings -> Apps and Features, but Realtek doesn't (I had initially uninstalled Realtek from here after mistaking this for the one in Control Panel)

I did not have a System Restore saved prior to this (discovered it in research to solve this issue)

PS: I'm not a tech genius, so a step-by-step walkthrough (especially when uninstalling / reinstalling stuff) to resolve this issue without losing sound again would be well appreciated

Options

3 Posts

05-28-2020

US

5 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Dolby Audio not compatible after reinstalling updated drivers

2020-05-29, 8:20 AM

The error message in Realtek audio console or dolby audio premium (both from Microsoft store) is due to wrong driver installed. 

There are two types of Realtek drivers:

1: UAD which driver size is 10-20mb

2: HDA which driver size is 90-300mb

For Realtek audio console and dolby audio premium to work you want the UAD- smaller driver.Go to your laptop support page and download the uad driver despite it being older.In my case windows update installed more recent driver but wrong type so I also had my console stopped working.

Options

3 Posts

05-29-2020

MY

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Dolby Audio not compatible after reinstalling updated drivers

2020-05-31, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info, but on the support page for my model there is only one Realtek driver, which is the one I downloaded. Any other ideas? Did I do something wrong in the initial uninstalling / reinstalling that could have affected this?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete