Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-22-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

8 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 4

Factory BIOS reset without CMOS battery

2021-07-22, 9:31 AM

Hi

I have an IdeaPad S540-IWL (81ND).

After a recent BIOS update, it will no longer POST - power button gives nothing but a black screen. To solve this, I would normally reset the BIOS to its factory state by removing the CMOS battery for a period of time, however, as the image shows, this laptop does not have a CMOS battery! I tried disconnecting the main battery and leaving it for a day or so in hopes it would achieve the same thing, but sadly no luck.

So my question is, how can I reset my BIOS? Or if someone knows there is a CMOS battery and it's just hidden for some reason, please tell me where. If I can't reset the BIOS, my £650 laptop is now a paperweight...

Thanks

16269463554146273290236323735934.jpg
Options

4205 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

259 Signins

23427 Page Views

• Views: 23427
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Factory BIOS reset without CMOS battery

2021-07-22, 13:13 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums @Heydiddly 

Apologies to know for experiencing such like this. Initially, it would be good to try these steps if the device showed some obvious signs of a no post.

Initiate a static drain or power drain first: make sure that the device is in powered-off state and there should be a remaining battery power on it.

Disconnect all cables and/or peripheral devices connected to the machine (ex. power cable, hdmi cable, external mouse/keyboard, flashdrives, etc). You may leave the AC adapter connected to the charging port but be sure that the charger is disconnected from any nearby power outlet or socket.

Press and hold down the power button for as long as 60 seconds to drain flea power or excess voltage. The machine is meant to remain turned off after holding power key.

Try to access your Novo Button on sides or underneath the device. This is how a Novo button should generally look like: https://support.lenovo.com/us/fr/solutions/ht062552

Make sure that the machine is properly powered down/switched off before clicking the Novo button with a paperclip or by using something similar to the latter that would fit. Machine should power up to Novo Menu after the button responded with a click.

To reload the BIOS to defaults:
- Navigate and select using the arrow keys to BIOS Set Up.
- Inside the BIOS Set Up, navigate to the Exit Menu. Select Load Setup Default - click Enter, select YES and click Enter.
- Select Exit and Save Changes then click Enter, select YES and click Enter.
- The computer should boot to Windows normally.

If the device still entered the no post process, then there could be a hardware problem. It would be advisable to try reaching out to the technical team in your region to have this reported or better get in touch with any nearby service facility to have this checked by a professional technician if you wish to have the unit within your reach.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

07-22-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

8 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-07-25, 22:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know about the Novo button.

Unfortunately it still behaves the same, just a black screen, so I guess I'll contact the technical team you linked. 

Options

4205 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

259 Signins

23427 Page Views

• Views: 23427
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-07-27, 15:28 PM

Hi @Heydiddly 

Thanks for updating the thread. It appears that it is confirmed a no post issue. You may also try reaching out through chat. Which ever would be the most convenient for you.

You are free to visit the Community anytime if you might need help again in the future.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms