English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-19-2020

US

14 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

FLEX-15IML Fan problem

2020-09-21, 1:23 AM

Hi, I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad FLEX-15IML roughly a year ago. My fan started to make noises a few days ago and it still makes them after Running my laptop for a few minutes. It’s been like this ever since and I was wondering if Lenovo can help me repair this or do I need to go to a repair shop? 

MOD: Model added to title -Doc

Options

1020 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

123 Signins

5676 Page Views

• Views: 5676
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:FLEX-15IML Fan problem

2020-09-21, 12:05 PM

@ Xue wrote:

Hi, I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad FLEX-15IML roughly a year ago. My fan started to make noises a few days ago and it still makes them after Running my laptop for a few minutes. It’s been like this ever since and I was wondering if Lenovo can help me repair this or do I need to go to a repair shop? 

MOD: Model added to title -Doc

Hi Xue,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Lenovo Support should be able to help you with this as a in warranty case or an out of warranty case. Depending on, if the unit is still within warranty or not. Out of warranty comes with a fee. You can contacting Lenovo support for your country directly (mail, e-ticket, phone) and see what can be done. 

If the fan noise is not of a mechanical nature (it scraping into something or, it sounds loose etc) then maybe some of the troubleshooting step below can help alleviate the issue:

Step 1. Decrease Processor maximum state.

- In the Search field type, Control Panel. Select the result.

- In View by: select Large/Small Icons, then select Power Options.

- Click on "Change Plan Settings" for the selected Plan for your device

- Select "Change advanced power settings"

- Expand "Processor power management"

- Set "Maximum processor state" to 98%

Step 2. Checking BIOS for Quiet Mode/DPTF/Thermal Solution Settings.

**Might be that this is where you turned on Quiet Mode, but if you turned on quiet mode in Lenovo Vantage, the BIOS might override that setting if it's off.

- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.

- Press the Novo Button - The button can be reached/clicked by an unfolded paperclip or similar.

- Go to the option BIOS setup.  

- Then navigate to the Configuration tab and find the option DPTF and switch mode to enabled.

- Under that option, you have the System Performance Mode. Please switch that mode to Quiet Mode.

**NOTE - Not all BIOS versions have these option or the layout varies a bit.

Step 3. Updating the Chipset and Thermal Solution Drivers  

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O,  Management Engine Interface(MEI), Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework (DPTF) and/or Intelligent Thermal Solution (ITS) drivers for your device:  

You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page

Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software then the BIOS and Chipset section

**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

Step 4. OKR - One Key Recovery

**This is a complete factory reset of the computer

**Loss of data can occur, so we advise you to backup your data if possible.

- Completely shut down the device.  

- Press the Novo Button

- In case you do not own a device with a OKR button. You can also find out where it is or what reset function it is for your device at the support page under.

Knowledge Base & Guides -> User Guides -> And clicking the User guide(Not HTML one) in the list -> Ctrl+F to search the document for "Reset" and/or "Novo Button" / "Novo Hole"

- When the system boots up, a menu will appear, select System recovery and follow the recovery process.

- When entering the Windows environment again. Perform the step below before allowing any Windows Updates to take place:

Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete