English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

08-23-2016

BR

18 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 1 of 5

Fastboot mode isn't that fast.

2020-07-22, 22:15 PM

Hi.

I have an Ideapad 320-15IKB and it's working great with my own deployed keys + Secure Boot + Arch Linux.

Flashed the latest firmware available on Windows right after i bought this laptop second hand, and got rid of that operating system.

The "Fast Boot" option inside the firmware does not seems do really accelerate boot. The item help says that Lenovo logo will not be displayed but that is not true, and the logo is shown during 7 seconds, and after that my efi Linux bundle is started.

Is this some kind of bug on this InsydeH20 firmware?

Options

568 Posts

05-14-2020

US

233 Signins

2840 Page Views

• Views: 2840
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Fastboot mode isn't that fast.

2020-07-23, 15:30 PM

Hello,

If you are using Legacy BIOS setting:

The Legacy method is unchanged since it was invented and deployed in the early 1980's.    Back then small computers with more than 1 Mega Byte of ram were rare.  And the boot sequences would include a test for function of the system RAM.  The bios would step through all of the ram, displaying an increasing count of the bytes tested and found OK.   If there is an error within system ram, then a math instruction for 2 + 2 would result in a number different than 4, with obvious serious consequences.  However most computers shipped never resulted in an error being detected.  SO BIOS was modified to skip the memory test if the user would accept the risk of undetected RAM error, this was named FAST BOOT.  It saved a couple of minutes of booting time.  The feature has never been removed, so it is still available.

Today even with 1,000 times the system clock speed, a detailed RAM function test of 8 Gigabytes of ram will take much much longer than a user is willing to wait on system start up, so RAM function tests are not performed, except by explicit activation.  Windows documentation will say how to do this, likely by entering a command on the CMD.COM terminal screen.  Few users even know how to raise this screen let alone what the typed in commands accomplish.  Also system and operating system and application programs might be more complex nowadays and have error detection routines present, that would notice a memory error.   In brief, FAST BOOT BIOS options skips a test that is not normally invoked nowadays, so it does not save much time now.

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

12 Posts

08-23-2016

BR

18 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-07-23, 18:23 PM

Hi Usedtoberich.

No, i'm not using Legacy Bios since that's not an option when you turn on Secure Boot.

I'm talking about UEFI/Secure Boot Fastboot. The help says that Lenovo logo will not be shown, and boot to other devices that the first disk will be skipped, and that does not seems to be the case.

Lenovo logo is still shown and stuck for some seconds(7 to 10 and it "blinks" once). After that when Linux starts to boot it's blazing fast(6s from providing my data-at-rest password to have a graphical environment working).

Options

568 Posts

05-14-2020

US

233 Signins

2840 Page Views

• Views: 2840
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-07-23, 21:59 PM

Hello,  I just typed the question into google search.  According to a site named HOWTOGEEK.COM  the fast boot option enables a special feature of Microsoft Windows, enabling a sort of hibernate function even though the power does actually turn off.  It sounds like you are not very interested in Windows things since you boot into a flavor of Linux.

Another site said it basically did not do anything, except slightly shorten the amount of time the system watches for function key inputs, F2 for BIOS menu, and F12 for boot disk selection are two I use sometimes.  In fast mode it makes it difficult to push those keys in time before boot up starts.

If you are using grub2 or other boot loader you already get that opportunity if you have the option enabled on your boot menu to enter the BIOS.

Back in the old days another option with fast boot was to store a different splash screen, sort of like selecting your own ringtones for cell phones.  There should be a way to present a different splash image, I'd like an orange background with pink and green polka dots myself... :), or even better, a picture of my grandchildren.

Does anyone have a copy of the ANSI specification or IEEE or however actually maintains it,  the UEFI booting specification?   That might help clarify things!

Respectfully,

Usedtoberich

Options

12 Posts

08-23-2016

BR

18 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-07-23, 22:30 PM

Hey Usedtoberich. Hope you are doing well...

Yeah, the spec is "implementation agnostic" meaning some specificities are out of the scope. Take a look at the attached images. 

• The Firmware/BIOS clearly states that "Fast Boot" should speed up things by not showing lenovo logo, and that isn't true. No matter if turned On or Off, logo will still be shown and boot process will not be speed up on any level.
  • As you can see by systemd-analyze, you have the proof that firmware times are even bigger than kernel or userspace times. Since kernel + userspace are concurrent tasks in some levels, i can reach a total operational desktop within 8 seconds from the time i type my fulldisk encryption password.

This is the problem: Fast Boot on or off does not affect boot times as expected.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete