English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-08-2014

London

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 1 of 1

Flex 14 SD card reader not working with larger cards on Windows 8.1

2014-08-15, 12:14 PM

The card reader in my Flex 14 is behaving very oddly. When I insert a 16GB SDHC card it makes the 'USB inserted' noise and the card shows up under device manager but I can't access it through file explorer. The card reader works fine with smaller SD cards that I have. I tried the card in another, Win7 laptop and it worked fine.

I see a number of other people are having a similar problem and I have followed all of the troubleshooting advice I can find, but nothing is working. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

This is what I have tried:

1. Leaving the card in the camera and attaching the camera via USB cable to the laptop: same result, noise, but can't access the card.

2. Trying to reassign the drive letter through storage controller: it shows the card but if you right click it to assign it a drive letter it says the 'file is missing'.

3. Downloaded the Win8.1 x64 driver from Lenovo website and installed. This stopped the card being recognised at all.

4. Installed the Win8 xc4 driver: this got me back to the noise but no action stage.

5. Updated Windows.

6. Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver numerous times both with the card inserted and without it and with restarting the computer after unistall and after reinstall.

7. Ran Ubunutu from a live USB: This allowed me to see the card and copy its contents to the laptop's HDD.

So it seems to be some incompatibility between the Lenovo drivers and Win8.1. Potentially it's to do with the USB drivers rather than the card reader drivers as the result when using the USB cable and the camera was the same as putting the card in the card reader. Is there a way to update these?

Any other troubleshooting steps I could take?

Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete