English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

11-19-2010

California

33 Signins

258 Page Views

• Views: 258
  • Message 1 of 3

Flex 15 - Recovery Disk Fails

2015-08-22, 10:37 AM

During the recovery disk process on my Flex 15 with new, blank unused SSD installed, the install fails, giving an error that module ISG failed during DOWORK.CMD.

The only things I can think of that may be different in my confit from a factory default are BIOS setting, and perhaps I need to get to CMD prompt and use Diskpart to make my new SSD drive a GPT drive. But I don't know how to enter cmd prompt after booting from recovery disk. Can anyone help?

Any other ideas? Thank you

Mod's Edit: System model added to Subject line to improve visibility / clarity

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Views: 274702
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Flex 15 - Recovery Disk Fails

2015-08-27, 16:33 PM

hi widmark,

Welcome to the Forums.

If the SSD that you're using is smaller than the stock HDD then this is likely the problem.

During re-imaging process, the drive is partitioned according to the pre-installed image on the machine (i.e., If a system has 1TB HDD (750GB partitioned on C:\, 25GB on D:\, etc.) and is preloaded with Win8.1 in UEFI mode)  the recovery media will automatically convert the drive to GPT and apply the OS configuration and partition structure respectively.

If you use a 256GB SSD, the partition structure will not be applied, thus causing the reimaging error. This also occurs if you use a recovery drive (see Nath-PC's post in this thread)

In addition, the recovery disc is not bootable if UEFI is enabled in the BIOS, thus the need to set it to legacy mode when booting a recovery disc. Once the recovery image is loaded, you will need to undo the changes that you've made in the BIOS for the machine to boot in UEFI mode.

Things that you can try:

1. Follow this guide on how to download and create a bootable Windows 8.1 USB Installer (see Option 1 & select USB flashdrive on Step 4).

Alternatively, you can also create an ISO file (see Option 1, Step 4) and follow this guide to manually create a UEFI Installer.

2. After creating the installer above, set these settings in the BIOS (if applicable):

Security Tab:

Secure Boot = Disabled

Boot Tab:

Boot Mode = UEFI

Boot Priority = UEFI First

USB Boot = Enabled

Exit Tab:

OS Optimized Defaults = Win8

When finished, hit F10 to save and exit then hit F12 to choose your UEFI Win8.1 USB installer.

If successful, Windows should be installed in UEFI mode and the drive partitioned to GPT. From here, you can just get the drivers from the Flex 15 drivers page (note that preinstalled softwares from your original HDD won't be reinstalled).

Edit:

added links

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

18 Posts

11-19-2010

California

33 Signins

258 Page Views

• Views: 258
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Flex 15 - Recovery Disk Fails

2015-08-27, 17:56 PM

This is not a clone or reimaging question.  This is a recovery disk question using a fresh new drive with no partitions in it.  The factory HDD crashed along with any images and partitions.

So in my case, the Recovery Disks provided by Lenovo were not good and did not allow for a complete reinstall.  Thankfully, I found another thread that helped me get past the fault issue, at least it seems to for now.

Once the Recovery Disk installation procedure halts short of completion, you can do as I did and terminate the audit function as described in another thread.

"Restart the computer until the Error Windows could not complete the installation.

Hit Ctrl Shift Esc and endtask the Audit File.

Press window key + R and type in sysprep.

Run the sysprep file that will show up and just hit ok in the next Window.

You computer should restart and will ask you to complete the installation."

This process will likely leave you with an unfinished install/incomplete driver set.  Then I went to the Lenovo driver section for my Flex 15 and updated all drivers.  Although I booted the Recovery Disks in Legacy Mode from an external USB DVD ROM drive, I was happy to see the SSD was formated at GPT and I am able to boot from it in UEFI mode.

After updating Win 8 to Wind 8.1 with any updates, I then installed Win 10 with all updates.  Then I imaged the SSD using OneRecovery and saved as a backup to hopefully avoid the need to use Lenovo's Recovery Disks in the future.

I was hoping this would resolve the fact that my Flex 15 lost its touchscreen capability within a year of buying it.  I thought maybe it was a driver issue.  This fresh install confirms its a hardware issue.  I know many have lost touchscreen capability for their Flex 15s as well, so hoping this helps someone else.  Frustrated that Lenovo would not fix the touchscreen, but lesson learned for my next laptop purchase.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete