Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-22-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 6

Flex 5-1570 not resetting

2021-04-22, 21:46 PM

I'm *totally* resetting a Flex 5-1570 through the NOVO option. 

It walked me through the few prep steps just fine, but now it is in a repeating 15 second cycle where it reboots, says "Welcome", then very briefly flashes a blue screen reading

"Installing Windows 64%  Don't turn off your PC.  This will take a while.  Your PC will restart several times."

before it re-displays the Lenovo logo and cycles again. 

I let it run like this for 30 minutes to no effect- still says 64%.  

I do NOT have a recovery USB.  I tried the "McAfee" BIOS system clock fix (just in case) without effect.

The serial is ********  and the  BIOS  is 4QCN51WWV2.15   It has a 1TB SSD.  

So how do I get it 'over the hump' to finish resetting?   I have a Windows 10 HP laptop here, if that would help via creating a boot USB.

Moderator note: serial number removed to prevent abuse. Corresponding MT-M is  80VE000FUS

Answer
Options

4496 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4619 Signins

53062 Page Views

• Views: 53062

Re:Flex 5-1570 not resetting

2021-04-23, 5:11 AM

Yes, you can create the USB Windows 10 Installation media on our HP system using a 8GB or larger USB drive. 

During the installation it will ask you to sign into your WiFi, so just do not do that and you will be able to create a local account

You only need to be disconnected to the internet up to the point where you create a Local User Account.    Once the Windows 10 installation is completed, you can connect to your WiFi as usual, in fact you should run Windows Update a few times to get the latest security updates, as well as installing the "Optional Updates", which will be driver updates for your laptop. 

The Flex 5-1570 does not have a built in Ethernet port, but you could buy an external USB Ethernet adapter if desired (get a Gigabit version).

Windows 10 will create its own recovery partition, but it will not be one that you can access via the NOVO button, but rather one that would be accessible from the Windows 10 Recovery environment (see link below); the easiest way being to hold down the Shift key while selecting Restart.

Recovery options in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-10-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5

Note:   It would not be a bad idea to download the latest WiFi Driver for your laptop and copy it to the USB key (after you create the Installation media) just in case you need it, but usually Windows 10's installer will include the required driver.    There are two drivers listed on the Lenovo site; one for the Intel model, and one for the Qaulcomm model (see link below)

Networking: Wireless LAN

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/flex-series/flex-5-1570/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

Regards,

Replies(5)
Options

4496 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4619 Signins

53062 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2021-04-22, 22:19 PM

If you don't mind installing a fresh clean install of Windows 10 20H2, , then you can create USB Windows 10 Installation Media for free by using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool (see link below).     

You can also use the Installation Media as a "Recovery Drive", by choosing the "Repair Your Computer" link when you get to the "Install Now" screen, which will take you into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) from there you can perform a Reset or run System Restore etc.   

Create Windows 10 installation media

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Note:   Installing a clean install of Windows 10 will install Windows 10 without any of the Lenovo recovery partitions, so going forward, booting from your USB installation media will be your recovery method rather than the NOVO button.

If you choose to do a clean install, the instructions below will help guide you through the process, but make sure to take note of the sections on selecting "I don't have a product key", selecting "Windows 10 Home  X64", selecting a "Custom Installation", and deleting all existing partitions until all that remains is Unallocated Space.   

Note:   If you want to login using a local user account (username & password), and not a Microsoft Account (email address and password), do not connect via Ethernet, and don't provide credentials when asked to connect you your Wireless Network, because if the installer can get to the internet, it will force you to use, or create a Microsoft Account.   

Do all that, and you should have Windows 10 up and running in less than 10 minutes. 

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Best of luck, 

Options

5 Posts

04-22-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-04-23, 4:11 AM
Thanks, now a few clarifying/followup questions: So I create this 20H2 installation media on my working HP machine, right? Next, I do indeed prefer NOT to use my Microsoft account for machine login...BUT does that mean I can't ever use my Wireless Network...or just not during the initial OS install? And I thought this laptop didn't *have* wired Ethernet; am I mistaken, because I *do* like to 'plug in' for heavy downloads. Lastly, couldn't I be 'slick' and re-copy the new USB files into the Lenovo recovery partition?
Options

5 Posts

04-22-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

Flex 5-1570 not resetting

2021-04-23, 4:27 AM
Moderator- I didn't know the SN was 'abusable', so thanks. BUT the MT number on the actual label here is 81CA0010US, not the '80VE....." you suggested. Is that vital?
Answer
Options

4496 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4619 Signins

53062 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-04-23, 5:11 AM

Yes, you can create the USB Windows 10 Installation media on our HP system using a 8GB or larger USB drive. 

During the installation it will ask you to sign into your WiFi, so just do not do that and you will be able to create a local account

You only need to be disconnected to the internet up to the point where you create a Local User Account.    Once the Windows 10 installation is completed, you can connect to your WiFi as usual, in fact you should run Windows Update a few times to get the latest security updates, as well as installing the "Optional Updates", which will be driver updates for your laptop. 

The Flex 5-1570 does not have a built in Ethernet port, but you could buy an external USB Ethernet adapter if desired (get a Gigabit version).

Windows 10 will create its own recovery partition, but it will not be one that you can access via the NOVO button, but rather one that would be accessible from the Windows 10 Recovery environment (see link below); the easiest way being to hold down the Shift key while selecting Restart.

Recovery options in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-10-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5

Note:   It would not be a bad idea to download the latest WiFi Driver for your laptop and copy it to the USB key (after you create the Installation media) just in case you need it, but usually Windows 10's installer will include the required driver.    There are two drivers listed on the Lenovo site; one for the Intel model, and one for the Qaulcomm model (see link below)

Networking: Wireless LAN

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/flex-series/flex-5-1570/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

Regards,

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

04-22-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-05-06, 14:12 PM

Just a quick reply to say the above worked just fine, and the Ethernet/C dongle I bought from Lenovo is 'as advertised'.

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms