Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-04-2021

Philippines

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 4

Flex5i won't power on when lid is closed

2021-05-04, 15:17 PM

My laptop flex 5i 11thgen i3 is connected to an external monitor via HDMI.  I press the power button of the laptop on its right side but will not power on. Only when the LCD is lifted and power button is pressed the laptop boots up.

Is there a setting that will allow the laptop to power on even when the lid is closed?

Options

1861 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

115 Signins

10725 Page Views

• Views: 10725
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Flex5i won't power on when lid is closed

2021-05-04, 15:40 PM

Hello seven1zero,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

There are some Thinkpad units that have those features in the BIOS (Display on Boot) to have the external display shown while the lid is closed but I am not optimistic that Flex 5 would have it so it may not be a feature for your model.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

05-04-2021

Philippines

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-05-04, 15:54 PM

Hi Dex,

I think this should be considered. The laptop should be allowed to be powered on when the lid is closed since the power button placement is ideal for this requirement. I have no choice right now but to lift the lid, power on the laptop, then close the lid for my daily use. I don't normally use the laptop lcd since I have external monitor.

Options

3514 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5534 Signins

62351 Page Views

• Views: 62351
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-05-04, 16:12 PM

@seven1zero 

Just throwing in my two cents, here. Laptops are designed to be open when running. The design depends on the keyboard surface to aid in cooling the unit. Closing the lid is like putting a slab of insulation over a heat-dissipation area. In addition, having the laptop on a solid surface with the lid closed reduces the surface needed for heat dissipation even more. Not saying it will, but the odds of overheating are higher. I happen to have a laptop that will run with the lid closed, but I don't use it that way. The lid is open to about 20 degrees and the computer sits on an always-on cooling pad. I spent too much money on it to risk it. 

These are just my practices. YMMV.

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms