Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-12-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 4

Formatted SYSTEM_DRV due to stupidity. Ideapad won't boot.

2018-03-12, 22:03 PM

Hi, SYSTEM_DRV has been formatted and I am unable to repair it using

bootrec /FixBoot

in command prompt as its says access denied, and although I hade made a system recovery drive on a USB pen in windows before it broke that can't fix it either.

I don't really know what to do, is it possible to download the BIOS files (or UEFI or whatever, I don't know what I'm talking about) onto a usb, then boot from it and copy them over?

A family member bought this laptop out of the blue for me recently and I'm on the verge of secretly forking out the £650 for a new one to replace it. If anyone could save me £650 I would be extremely grateful.

(How could I be so foolish? I was trying to make a portable linux usb as a back up operating system, so as well as all my files being backed up, programs and settings would be aswell. I followed these instructions:

https://www.dionysopoulos.me/253-portable-ubuntu-on-usb-hdd.html

Up to "Fix Windows 10 Boot" and when I got to

bootrec /FixBoot

it said access denied.

So then I followed the intructions of "Barry Bigun"... (His 2nd post) on the following page:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-bootrec-fixboot-access-is-denied/747c4180-7ff3-4bc2-b6cc-81e572d546df?auth=1

whereby access was of course granted for me to format the volume, but not to then repair it. Again,

bootrec /FixBoot

wasn't allowed.

So now when I turn it on the Lenovo icon appears, then it says "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed". After inserting the usb recovery drive, none of the options are able to repair it.)

Thanks.

Answer
Options

3 Posts

03-12-2018

7 Signins

60 Page Views

Re: Formatted SYSTEM_DRV due to stupidity. Ideapad won't boot.

2018-03-12, 23:13 PM

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will certainly keep in mind the NOVO button if any problems arise in the future. However when I tried to press it nothing happened, I even fear I may have broken it if that is possible (the implement I used was quite sharp). I then tried another solution I found here: https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/restore-repair-deleted-efi-boot-partition-in-windows-10-8-7.html

Unbelievably, I just needed one line of code in the command prompt:

bcdboot C:\windows

Looks like the other volumes were present as its up and running fine now.

Replies(3)
Options

4509 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4623 Signins

53152 Page Views

• Views: 53152
  • Message 2 of 4

2018-03-12, 22:33 PM

If you formatted the system drive, then bootrec is not going to be able to restored the OS files that were deleted, so your best bet would be to try to reset the system by using the recovery partition via the NOVO button.     

You do not mention what model you have, but there should be a very small button on the side of your laptop that when pressed using a paper clip etc. (with the laptop powered off) will boot the system to the hidden recovery partition and allow to restore the laptop to its factory new state.

Novo Menu: 

• Shut down the computer (press and hold the power button until it powers off) and wait at least five seconds.
  • Press the Novo button using a paper clip.   The NOVO button is just forward of the USB port on the left side of the laptop (see page 6 of the user manual) to turn on the laptop and open the Novo Menu
  • Select System Recovery >> Troubleshoot >> Reset this PC

If you somehow deleted all the partitions on the hard drive (which does not appear to be the case),  then you will have to do a clean install of Windows 10 either using recovery media obtained from Lenovo support for a small fee (recommended since it will restore its factory recovery/driver partitions etc.), or do a clean install of Windows 10 using the instructions from Microsoft found here.

From what you describe, it sounds like the other partitions are still present, so hopefully the NOVO button will be able to get you back up and running, and nobody will ever know. 

Best of luck,

Answer
Options

3 Posts

03-12-2018

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2018-03-12, 23:13 PM

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will certainly keep in mind the NOVO button if any problems arise in the future. However when I tried to press it nothing happened, I even fear I may have broken it if that is possible (the implement I used was quite sharp). I then tried another solution I found here: https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/restore-repair-deleted-efi-boot-partition-in-windows-10-8-7.html

Unbelievably, I just needed one line of code in the command prompt:

bcdboot C:\windows

Looks like the other volumes were present as its up and running fine now.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

06-21-2021

Thailand

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:Formatted SYSTEM_DRV due to stupidity. Ideapad won't boot.

2021-06-21, 2:39 AM

I am having this issue. 

Hey, recently, a friend of mine deleted something that he shouldnt have (or did something he shouldn;t have) and now, BOOTMGR missing keeps coming up, i've been trying to fix it for 2-3 days now  and well, my current situation is that i cannot boot any CD from my disk drive, I have windows 7 Ultimate disk, i have windows PE iso, i can boot via USB.
So, i got the winPE into the pendrive, and it worked, now i got into it, and ran startup repair, Bootrec/fixboot access is denied and it said that the problem cannot be fixed automatically. I opened up command prompt, and put in "bootrec.exe /FixBoot" and it came access denied, i have no idea what to do now, and couldn't find any conclusive answers from other posts that i saw.
I don't mind re-installing the whole Windows 7, but i have important information there, and my present resources are a rewritable DVD, and 1 GB pendrive (not enough to store all of it). So, i could really use some help now, please.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)