English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

04-16-2018

US

6 Signins

153 Page Views

• Views: 153
  • Message 1 of 2

Getting Windows 7 working on an Ideapad 130-15AST

2018-12-17, 15:06 PM

Hello all,

I recently purchased an Ideapad 130-15AST with intent to give it to an older person. For this reason, I wanted to put a nice, stable operating system on it instead of the constantly updating nightmare that is Windows 10 (not to mention the fact that with the pre-installed bloat and Windows 10's resource greed, the laptop was virtually unsuable out of the box), so naturally, I went to Windows 7. I was pleased with how little fuss was involved with getting 7 to install (though the BIOS leaves a lot to be desired), but once it installed properly, I wasn't too pleased with how much fuss came of it.

My experience with installing 7 seems to be a bit different than the other support posts here, as upon a clean install, I only had functioning display, keyboard, and optical drive. My LAN, USB ports, card reader, and touchpad did not work. I got the card reader driver from a thread here posted in 2017 in which a user had a dropbox full of Windows 7 compatible drivers... but unfortunately, they were for a model with an Intel chipset, while mine is an AMD A6. I restored USB functionality using the AMD A6 chipset drivers found on their website - to be very specific, I downloaded the 690G chipset drivers. This was a guess, as there seems to be no information as to whether or not this particular model needs 690G or 690V.

While the touchpad still not working is a mild annoyance, I'm aware that almost everyone who has put 7 on this model has had this issue and either left it unresolved or not shared the proper driver, as all of the drivers I have tried have not worked. What I do have issue with is the fact that despite having downloaded the AMD chipset, the laptop is still not detecting its network drivers, neither LAN nor WLAN. As you may be able to imagine, those are pretty important, especially WLAN considering this is a laptop. What I'm specifically looking for is how to get that running properly - is it supposed to work from the AMD chipset drivers? Did I download the wrong chipset drivers (should I have gotten 690V)? I have tried supplied drivers for Realtek, Qualcomm, and Liteon, but none of those have helped. Does anyone know exactly who the manufacturer is for the networking hardware on this board?

Help much appreciated. Thanks all.

Solved! See the solution
Options

9 Posts

04-16-2018

US

6 Signins

153 Page Views

• Views: 153
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Getting Windows 7 working on an Ideapad 130-15AST

2018-12-18, 13:46 PM

Replying to my own topic for posterity's sake:

Using a tool called Snappy Driver Installer, I was able to quickly find and download device drivers based on their device ID. If you don't trust tools like this, finding Device ID is easy, by going into device manager, viewing the properties of the device, switching to the Details tab, and using the dropdown menu to select "Hardware ID". The only thing Snappy Driver Installer did was save me the time of using Google to find a reliable and safe driver repository, since Lenovo's own driver database is severely lacking. Searching by device ID renabled every feature of this laptop save for the trackpad, which I will happily replace with a wireless mouse.

A message to Lenovo - not everyone wants to use Windows 10, even after Microsoft drops "official" support for it, there will be people not just using, but freshly installing Windows 7 because it is simply a better operating system. When manufacuturers stop supporting it natively on their boards, only then would I assume people will have to either move to the most recent Windows, or pick up a Linux distro. I suppose I understand not hosting legacy drivers for space/cost concerns, but I wasn't very happy to find nothing but Windows 10 support for the same chipsets that have been used for years, literally.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete