English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

04-14-2015

US

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 5

How bad is tablet mode for the keyboard?

2015-04-14, 18:05 PM

As stated in a previous thread, i am thinking of getting the new Flex 3. One concern i have is what happens with the keyboard when it is flipped in to tablet mode. I know that the keys lock, but I was hoping they retracted too. According to Lenovo, they dont retract, they just lock. Has anyone used one of the earlier model Yogas or something similar? Did you have an issue with the keyboard? Are the keys likely to get damaged?

Also I know that there are cases that are meant to protect the keyboard, but i couldnt find any from lenovo that were 15 inches. There are other brands, but they have different dimensions. Since this laptop is brand new im not that suprirsed that the accessories havent been released yet, but it it likely that one will be released in the near future?

Options

3508 Posts

04-02-2014

MX

2522 Signins

39849 Page Views

• Views: 39849
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: How bad is tablet mode for the keyboard?

2015-04-14, 18:32 PM

It all depends on the usage.

I have the Yoga 3 pro and I rarely use it in Tablet mode. When I do use it in Stand or Tablet mode the surface is generally my table or lap, so I dont think that is damaging the keyboard. It has been working great so far.

Also, on the yoga 3 pro, the keys are very shallow and do not protrude outwards. I am sure that should be the case with each of these hybrids, otherwise the keyboard would be pressed all the time in those modes.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

6 Posts

04-14-2015

US

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 3 of 5

2015-04-14, 18:57 PM
Yeah the Yoga's since the 2 have had a keyboard that recesses and is protected. I asked Lenovo today and they said the Flex isn't like that. The keyboard just locks without any real protection. That scares me because the laptop is pretty expensive. Yeah, $900 isn't a lot for some people, but it would be the most I have ever spent on a laptop. Modern laptops don't have easily replaceable parts or optical drives, which I can live with. Having a laptop configuration that might break my keyboard is worse because its something that the laptop should be designed for. Don't advertise Tablet mode if it puts the laptop at risk =(
Options

3508 Posts

04-02-2014

MX

2522 Signins

39849 Page Views

• Views: 39849
  • Message 4 of 5

2015-04-14, 19:52 PM

No haha, I agree with you $900 is more than enough money to be spent on a laptop.

I would definitely buy an accessory to protect  the keyboard, once it is available. But as I said, if you would look at worldwide stats of how many people actually use it in stand or tablet mode, it is pretty low.

You would use it in tablet mode, mostly in bed or couch. Even if you press against the keyboard a bit, I see no reason for damage BUT weird things have happened.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

43 Posts

04-23-2019

ZA

46 Signins

559 Page Views

• Views: 559
  • Message 5 of 5

2019-07-10, 8:15 AM

I use my yoga 530 alot in tablet mode as I'm a student. The print on the keys could eventually get rubbed off from friction with a table etcetera. I put an old soft cover book under it when in tablet mode. I bought a keyboard skin for it. But they come off in tablet mode.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms