Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

11-25-2021

Germany

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

How can I set a custom charge threshold?

2021-11-25, 10:24 AM

Although I personally hate bloatware, Lenovo Vantage/the BIOS has a very good feature: The battery charge limit. But this is another example of a good idea with bad implementation.

Right now I have it disabled again because I've had the issue twice, where I'd skip a live lecture (and take online from home instead) because I forgot to charge my battery again (yeah, we don't have power outlets for students in all of our lecture halls). I hate that this threshold is set to 60% and I cannot change it. I'd like to switch it to something like 80-85% so I can do 3 lectures without having to recharge. Right now I can't even do 2.

Especially because the percentage curve is not very well calibrated. With 25% I get around 45 mins of use, with 60% around 2:30 and with 100% I get 7-8h. This gets even worse when considering its lifetime, that an empty battery is just as bad, if not worse, than a completely full battery. I'd much rather use the 40-80% range than the equivalent 0-60% range. In fact, I'm using the equivalent 70-100% range right now.

In other forums and videos, there's an input field in Lenovo Vantage. I just have a toggle (with bad translation btw, mixed German and English). Can I have that input field somehow? I'd also be ok with changing a config text file directly or something similar. As I said - I like that feature, but not in this (in multiple ways) crappy implementation - just on/off, bad charge calibration, empty battery is not any better than a full battery.

I have an IdeaPad Flex 5 14ALC05, Ryzen 5700U, Windows 11 (but the same problem was there with Windows 10)

Options

5324 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

340 Signins

30387 Page Views

• Views: 30387
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:How can I set a custom charge threshold?

2021-11-25, 18:17 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums @Bastian2001 ,

Appreciated the effort in starting a post.

As much as I have been familiar with the Conservation Mode of the Lenovo Vantage app for a long time, the 55-60% battery percentage for the conservation threshold is actually fixed, constant, in other words, unchangeable.

On some Lenovo machines, the mechanism of the battery is that it stops charging at a specific percent namely 95% or 93% then the battery shows the message "plugged in not charging". This mechanism by the machine runs by default and significantly in-effect if the machine charge is set to reach up to 100%. This way, it avoids the machine from potentially overcharging that will lead to possible overheating and battery damage.

Perhaps you may want to observe your machine if this kind of mechanism is also present before reaching the hundred percent battery mark.

If this is your current situation, using the device in school and lectures, it would be advisable to disable the conservation mode and let it reach a full charge before using it in the task. Charging it before the next task would be practical to use the machine constantly and avoid near-empty battery experience.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms