Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-13-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 2

How do I remove EMI shielding from RAM?

2018-04-14, 8:53 AM

I have an Ideapad FLEX 5-1570, type 80XB. I'm trying to upgrade the RAM and encountered a metal EMI shield over the original DIMM. It's not the foil type, it's a rigid metal box over the module. I tried to lift it up with a plastic toothpick after pushing the clips away from it, but it's not budging and I'm afraid to be too forceful with it. I can't find anything on YouTube directly related. Loads of videos about upgrading RAM on loads of different models of laptops, but none of them have anything like this EMI shielding. The only videos about EMI shielding I'm finding are bout such rigid shielding on smartphone and tablet boards which need heat-guns to remove. It would be pretty preposterous to have to subject my computer to that just to upgrade the RAM. I called Lenovo tech support line but they acted as if I was asking for state secrets. Can anyone tell me me what to do about this? I've owned and worked on numerous laptops (although this is my first convertible) and I've never encountered anything like this. Just getting this thing apart was ridiculously complicated. Something should not be this difficult to open up unless it isn't intended to be serviced.

Options

34 Posts

05-03-2018

Australia

41 Signins

740 Page Views

• Views: 740
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: How do I remove EMI shielding from RAM?

2018-07-08, 4:31 AM
ther should be arrows showing the direction of how the cover should come off.

use the toothpick u mentioned n pry it towards that direction and it should pop out.

That's what i did for mine but with an iphone sim tray ejector.
i'm only speaking from my own experience ok. putting it back was relatively simple too as it is a snap on case so i reversed the force used and heard a few small clicks and i merely tried to jiggle the box to test if it was snapped back and noticed no movements.

reattached base and it worked.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms