English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

08-05-2020

Afghanistan

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 5

IdeaPad 5 14ARE05 issues waking from sleep

2020-08-05, 10:36 AM

Sometimes, after being in sleep mode for a few hours, my IdeaPad won't wake from sleep. The screen is black, and there's no response to any input from the keyboard or trackpad.  

The only way to keep using the laptop is to hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off and on again, which is obviously undesirable as I lose unsaved work from any programs that were open.

I have already installed the DTCN20WW(V1.06) BIOS update which claims to address problems with sleep. This seems to have made the problem less frequent, but my laptop still fails to wake (seemingly randomly) from time to time.

I have tried performing a clean install of Windows 10. This did not help.

A thread on another forum suggests a number of solutions, though none of them seem to have worked and I haven't been able to test all of them either since the sleep issue happens randomly: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/hlkh0l/ideapad_5_not_waking_from_sleep_win_10/

I would like to keep using this laptop, but I will have to return it if sleep continues being this unreliable and the only solution is to disable sleep mode.

Has anyone found the root cause or a solution for this?

Options

725 Posts

03-11-2020

Norway

80 Signins

4413 Page Views

• Views: 4413
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:IdeaPad 5 14ARE05 issues waking from sleep

2020-08-07, 13:49 PM

Hi,

welcome to the Lenovo forum community!

i would try the following, please follow every part, since it is important to disable Windows update, from updating any drivers:

To do a factory reset, first you will need to make a backup of your important files to an external USB storage unit, or to an online drive.

Then you need to turn off your laptop completely, by holding down the power button for 10 seconds.

To initiate the factory reset, you need to push the tiny button located (Go Here search with your serial number, then select pane "Knowledgebase and Guides" Then find the user manual and locate the Novo buttons placement in the manual), You can use for example, a paperclip to press it, after  

you have pressed the button, the laptop will power on, and present a small menu, use the arrow keys to select factory reset, and press the  

enter key to select. Now follow the on screen instructions.

then:

1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  2. Make your way to System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  5. Select the Hardware tab.
  6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

Then go to Lenovo.forum.com search with serial number, go to pane Drivers & Software and use the automatic driver update function.

Reboot, then update windows, this should solve the issues.

If however this does not work, i would suggest setting the laptop to hypernate instead of sleep:

At the Command Prompt window, type the following command and hit the Enter key.

Powercfg /hibernate on

hibernate Windows 10 when laptop lid is closed pic3

This will enable the Hibernate feature

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

15 Posts

10-07-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-10-07, 23:29 PM

Hi Kobleh,

Did you find a solution?

Maybe a clue: I have the same issues after installing Zone Alarm (free-edition). I discovered if I check the "Enable Microsoft Catalog Utilization" on "Advanced Settings", the problem disappears. This weird behavior only happens on this laptop (IdeaPad 5 14ARE05 16Gb-RAM Ryzen-4500U).

Options

1 Posts

10-09-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-10-09, 14:37 PM

What is Zone Alarm? I'm not really IT savvy and don't want to download anything that I'm not sure of. 

Are there any other simple solutions to the sleep problem for the Ideapad 5? I've tried a few suggestions but none seem to work. It's seems a pretty fundamental facility and I'm thinking of returning my laptop and  replacing it with another brand if I can't sort it, which seems a shame as I like it otherwise.

Options

1 Posts

01-05-2021

Colombia

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-01-05, 15:17 PM

Hi, I suffer the same issue. Today I updated the BIOS to DTCN23WWV1.09 (27-12-2020) and it seems it worked.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms