Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-23-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

IdeaPad 5 15ITL05 - Fan issue

2021-07-23, 8:00 AM

Hi! 
This is basically a new IdeaPad 5 15ITL05. I love it. 
And I am really considering returning it because of the fan.

Has anyone else had this issue? I can't seem to find fan issue posts with this particular laptop model.
However, I do see occasional issue posts related to fans, including with Lenovo laptops. 
Wondering whether to search for a different laptop, including different brand, and/or
whether another IdeaPad 5 may not have the same fan problem.
__

The laptop runs well and is cool all the time. 
However, the fan will occasionally run on high at inopportune times. I believe starting from day 1. 
Note: before almost anything, I installed Avast free Antivirus, and uninstalled McAfee. 
I don't think someone is mining cryptocurrency on my laptop. 
I feel like the most shady website I'm visiting is for online shopping, like at Amazon, which I imagine is decently safe. 

Even before that, I ran Windows Update as almost the first thing. 
And I manually check for updates every few days, several times in a week. 
It's been updated.
I also run Lenovo Vantage - and check for system and driver updates. It's been updated.
Including BIOS Update - 10[64] - FHCN41WW.
__

When I hit power button to go to sleep - sometimes by 10 minutes later, the fan will run on high. 
When I let it "auto-sleep", sometimes 1 minute after window lock, usually it will not run on high -- but in the last two days, it has been, again.

Usually when I return from sleep, the fan will stop running continuously on high in 10 seconds, or by 60 or so seconds. 

On hibernate, the fan is on very low. Not a bother at all.

When I'm using the laptop, if it's very low impact, the fan usually won't come on, even on battery. 
In one case, even when RAM is 90%, and I'm streaming a youtube org video (maybe it was low res), the fan didn't come on.
__

However, last week when I was standby sleep on battery, the fan was continuously loud.
And remained loud after turning on, to memory (can look for notes later).
And through streaming a live youtube stream, it remained on high fan.

And just a few days ago, I was streaming BlueJeans (videoconferencing) on battery. By 8 to 10 minutes, the fan kicked on, onto high, and continuously ran on high.
The same thing applied to a Zoom video on battery.
At around 10 minutes, the fan kicked on, high, and ran continuously (until about a minute or so after plugging back in). 
In the case of the Zoom video, the laptop was raised, the fan wasn't blocked at all, and it was still on high. 

Yes, the fan is blowing on high, and the laptop wasn't very warm. It has never been hot to the touch, which is great. 
Except that the fan is hugely distracting, and I'm primarily worried about using it in group settings. 
It is also disturbing to return to a loud fan when it's sleeping. I've been ensuring I hibernate when I go to sleep myself,
since the loud continuous fan impedes my ability to sleep. 
__

I've taken various video recording snippets and scattered notes documenting instances. 
There seems to be a little rhyme to the fan spin/volume status, but ultimately it also is unpredictable. 

I don't know how best to resolve the issue. And I love the laptop otherwise, but I don't think I can work with this loud fan. 

Options

4256 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

262 Signins

23718 Page Views

• Views: 23718
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:IdeaPad 5 15ITL05 - Fan issue

2021-07-23, 15:57 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums,

Initially, try to check first if your machine's current BIOS version does match the recommended BIOS version uploaded on the support site. When you're on the support page, be sure to type in your device serial number to load the exact drivers. Go to Drivers and Software tab, click on Manual Update tab, look for the BIOS/UEFI driver and find the details which would include the version.

This knowledge base would help you find what's the current BIOS version of your laptop. When done, try to compare the two versions.

Try to check the Lenovo Vantage app as well for any possible options that could help with regards to the fan, see if the quiet mode feature is available.

Or try to see if this feature is available in BIOS as well. From a powered off state, turn on the laptop and continuously press the F2 key to boot to BIOS.

In the BIOS Set Up, try to check the Configuration tab. To exit, navigate to the Exit tab > click Exit and Save changes > hit Enter select Yes. The machine should boot back to Windows.

Else, it would be good to reach out to the technical team so they can give you further recommendation.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

07-23-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:IdeaPad 5 15ITL05 - Fan issue

2021-07-23, 16:56 PM

Hello Dex,

Thank you so much for the reply and suggestions! I will follow up when I have a chance.

Thank you.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms