Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

IdeaPad 510 15isk 8gb ram stick randomly disconnecting, works after remove and re-insert.

2020-02-05, 18:33 PM

I dual-boot windows and linux, both OS's experience this problem. Problem started yesterday, the 8gb non soldered ram stick suddently stops working while the pc is booted. I mostly use debian based linux. Windows ram test showed no errors, but also only showed the one, 4gb soldered ram stick. I do not believe this is a failing ram stick because it works after re-plugging. 

Bellow is screan-shot showing the ram stick not showing up.

Up until yesterday I have never experienced problems with the ram stick and am unsure as to what could be causing the problem, besides a faulty connection. 

Reboot does not seem to fix it and a full unplug and reinsert is nessecary. This problem has occured twice now.

Any suggestions, Do I need a new ram stick (although this is a weird ram failure), I suspect it is more likely to be a problem with the connector. 

Prior to yesterday I have never removed the original factory ram stick and it is unlikely it could have become physically damaged.

Options

433 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

155 Signins

9457 Page Views

• Views: 9457
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: IdeaPad 510 15isk 8gb ram stick randomly disconnecting, works after remove and re-insert.

2020-02-05, 18:54 PM

Hi IModThings.

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Lenovo is committed to providing our customers with information to assist in utilizing the Linux operating system on various personal computing systems. The information below provides hardware compatibility for each Linux distribution.

The following information is also available:

If the system is not listed below, click: Linux for Personal Systems (Archive).

Regards.
Dondon_Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: IdeaPad 510 15isk 8gb ram stick randomly disconnecting, works after remove and re-insert.

2020-02-05, 19:55 PM

Yea... as mentioned above the problem occurs on both Linux and Windows. Furthermore it has been working fine in Linux for a very long time.

Ive now rebooted heres some diagnostics and the normal memory.

It remains to be seen whether it will stay.  I did clean the contacts as best I could before reinserting this time. Its now been up for about 45 minutes with no problems.

Options

347 Posts

11-26-2019

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

151 Signins

2918 Page Views

• Views: 2918
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-02-06, 1:16 AM
There might be 2 possibilities.

1. There is a hardware failure on the RAM stick.
To solve this, you can simply replace the RAM stick.

2. The RAM slot is loosened.
Since the RAM slot is soldered on the motherboard, the easiest way is to replace the entire motherboard.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms