English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-24-2019

US

1 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 2

IdeaPad 730S - Bios update caused Realtek Wireless driver to not work, can't fix

2019-09-24, 2:29 AM

After updating the Bios per Lenovo's recommendation, the RealTek lenovo rtl8822be driver did not work.  This was indicated in Windows Device Manager, and I was not able to update the driver because I had no internet connection.  Now, the card/adapter is not even listed under my Network adapters in Device Manager.  Please advise how this can me resolved. 

Options

263 Posts

07-10-2019

GB

276 Signins

3728 Page Views

• Views: 3728
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: IdeaPad 730S - Bios update caused Realtek Wireless driver to not work, can't fix

2019-09-24, 6:57 AM

fwiw, if the Realtek wifi card is not listed in Device manager->Network Adapters, and there are no other 'unknown' devices listed, this is not a good sign.  It is plausible the BIOS update broke something or the wifi card just by coincidence happen to fail at the same time.

Unfortunately, BIOS updates do carry a 'small' risk of breaking the motherboard, and can render laptop from even starting up when it goes wrong.

You haven't mentioned the model number.  Here are some suggestions:

If for example, it is a 730s-13iwl, you could use another computer to download the wifi driver to a USB flash drive and transfer it to your 730s to install it.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/700-series/730s-13iwl/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

I would  use the Novo button menu to go into the F2 BIOS setup

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht062552

Look around the menus to see if there is an option that enables/disables the wifi card.  There may be an option to reset the BIOS settings to factory default, to clear any corrupt BIOS settings.  (Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 730s)

Downloading and forcibly installing an older BIOS has been known to cause problems on some Lenovos.

Lenovo may suggest you use the 'System Recovery' option in Novo Button menu, to return contents of hard drive/SSD containing Microsoft Windows 10, to original factory shipped state.  This will erase all your personal data and apps too.

If problem persists, they would suggest sending laptop to them for repair if it is covered by warranty.

Another reader may have other suggestions.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete