Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-22-2021

United States of America

14 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 1 of 26

IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05 no longer starts

2021-02-22, 23:55 PM

Hi,

My daughter has been using a Flex 5 14 with an AMD 4500U for school for the past 6-7 months with no issues. During a lunch break today, it decided to install an update; when she came back she saw the Windows Update screen and loud screeching / beeping noises. She panicked and shut down the laptop by holding the power button for a few seconds.

After this, the laptop no longer starts up. Specifically, when turned on, I can hear some fans spin up and the Caps Lock and Esc keys have their little white leds turned on, but there is no screen output or sound (tried an external HDMI monitor: no output there either). The laptop was fully charged, but I tried plugging in the USB-C plug too and that didn't make a difference.

I tried all kinds of troubleshooting (various key combos, holding down the power button for up-to a minute, using a pin to press the little hole button, etc.) but I can't get it to boot. Are there any tips or known troubleshooting issues before I send this in for warranty? She just started a school week and we have no other devices to get her connected for schoolwork :(

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Options

91 Posts

02-17-2021

Japan

84 Signins

1635 Page Views

• Views: 1635
  • Message 2 of 26

Re:IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05 no longer starts

2021-02-23, 7:17 AM

Hi. I am an IdeaPad Flex 5 (AMD 4700U) user.

I experienced an unintended shutdown while using streaming service and had the similar problem to you.

(while playing video, audio output repeated the same sound many times and suddenly stopped, then LID is blacked out, PC was turned off.)

Then I pushed power button for about 30sec a few times, pushed NOVO button after power-on a few times.

Finally, I pushed power button normally and IdeaPad recovered from the malfunction.

PS:

Some WindowsUpdates, especially related to .NET Framework, are very very large. Why does it take so long time to install nearly 1 hour? Inconvenient!

Just a common IdeaPad Flex5 (14ARE05) user
Options

1 Posts

02-23-2021

Australia

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 26

2021-02-23, 7:34 AM

I have had the exact same problem as you did, with the same model laptop and roughly the same time. The beeping was relentless. It lingered for about 2 minutes before I got out of bed to hard reset my laptop. It must have been something with the windows update, not the power.

Options

5 Posts

02-22-2021

United States of America

14 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 4 of 26

2021-02-23, 7:36 AM

No such luck for me. Tried dozens of times today, left it with the charger for hours, tried different key combinations (Win+Ctrl+Shift+B, Fn+F2, Fn+R, Fn+F12, Power+Shift, etc.) but nothing, totally unresponsive. :(

Options

91 Posts

02-17-2021

Japan

84 Signins

1635 Page Views

• Message 5 of 26

2021-02-23, 9:08 AM

In my case, after the unintended shutdown, PC never booted up windows and was shutdown automatically within a minute. No logo, no sound.

I tried a few methods like long pushing power-button, NOVO button.

What I noticed was quick screen flickering after about 10 seconds NOVO button pushed succeeding power-on (sorry, I don't remember the exact time).

So I decided to leave PC after pushing NOVO button. Then, after a while, recovery screen appeared on LID.

I contacted to Lenovo service immediately after the recovery to ask them why PC malfunctioned.

Lenovo seemed to be worrying about H/W error and CPU temperature. However both are normal.

(Lenovo Vantage diagnostic reported that the all checks succeeded and temperature were within 40~60 Celsius degree).

Finally, Lenovo support concluded that the cause is software update and recommended me to restore Windows to the recovery point set before the malfunction.

Options

1 Posts

02-23-2021

Greece

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 6 of 26

2021-02-23, 14:18 PM

Hello,

your daughter turned off the laptop when it was flashing / updating the BIOs. If this happens, the laptop generally becomes unusable and you need to either try and force-flash the BIOs or send it to support. I currently have the same problem as you and I am searching for someone to extract the BIOs from the .exe that Lenovo provides.

I'm posting a link to the reddit page I made specifically for this reason, as well as a "guide" and a youtube video that explain how to try and solve this.

My problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/lqilkt/ideapad_flex_5_14are05bricked_bios/

Guide: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Y540-BIOS-Recovery-Mode-Flash-BIOS-from-USB/m-p/5026109

Clearing the CMOS battery is probably not needed. I am currently stuck because I can't do the extraction, since Lenovo only allows you to extract BIOs on the specific machine (FACEPALM). So I can't run the .exe and extract the BIOs from another laptop.

YouTube Video about Force-Flash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S04S4rO7VN4

Options

91 Posts

02-17-2021

Japan

84 Signins

1635 Page Views

• Message 7 of 26

2021-02-23, 16:09 PM

Hi.

In general, WindowsUpdate does not reprogram Serial EEPROM embedded on the mother board. Serial EEPROM is not like an old NOR EEPROM, cannot be read like RAM. And sadly, if you failed to write BIOS to Serial EEPROM correctly, you needed to send back your PC to manufacturer because your PC cannot reprogram Serial EEPROM through corrupted BIOS... except detach Serial EEPROM from PC and reprogram it with EEPROM programmer and attach it to PC again(these requires you to have some degree of engineering experiences).

PS:

I don't know about Phoenix BIOS. AMI BIOS can be extracted from installer using the utility available through the Internet.

Options

5 Posts

02-22-2021

United States of America

14 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 8 of 26

2021-02-23, 16:39 PM

There are at least 3 other people experiencing the same problem after a Windows Update since yesterday: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/lqe4ri/ideapad_emergency/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/lqilkt/ideapad_flex_5_14are05bricked_bios/ .

I presume something was pushed through Windows Update that bricked this model specifically. Any tips or ideas for a solution would be greatly appreciated!

Options

1 Posts

02-26-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 9 of 26

2021-02-26, 23:28 PM

I have the same issue!!!!  

Options

4 Posts

08-25-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 10 of 26

2021-02-27, 11:08 AM

Hi 

I had the exact same problem last night , laptop randomly turned on and tried to perform an update and then some beeping noise started so i had to cut the power of. here I am today trying to boot it but there is no display , no logo , no signs of display being on but all keyboards lights go on (caps lock and esc light ) and fans start spinning.

I have the flex 5 with R7 4700u

any solved this problem yet if so please do help 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms