Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-14-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 21 of 32

Re:IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05 no longer starts

2021-03-24, 4:48 AM

Adding my name to the Flex 5 brick party.

Options

1 Posts

03-24-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 22 of 32

2021-03-24, 14:01 PM

After barely scrounging enough cash to buy this specimen it gets bricked by at 5AM, for daring I buy lenovo for once. I even made this silly account to hopefully get Lenovo on this, instead of flexing the thing in half short-ways.

Options

3 Posts

03-24-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 23 of 32

2021-03-24, 23:50 PM

+1

Sending back for warranty repair. I wish I could remove the laptop and copy my data without voiding the warranty. Kinda lame that would void the warranty on a bricked laptop.

Options

26 Posts

03-07-2021

United States of America

51 Signins

375 Page Views

• Views: 375
  • Message 24 of 32

2021-03-25, 4:53 AM

That doesn't void the warranty, even if they claim that it does. They would never know if you took the drive out to copy it anyway.

Options

3 Posts

03-24-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 25 of 32

2021-03-25, 16:58 PM

Thank you! I have also called and got confirmation that this does not void the warranty. However, web chat said it did but that chat session was a disgrace to everything customer service since ever.

Options

2 Posts

04-15-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 26 of 32

2021-04-15, 22:13 PM

Same issue here. Haven't had the computer turned on for about a month. Turned it on today  and it tried to do a update (a bar started going across the logon screen) and then the BEEPING started. Had to shut if off holding down the on/off button. Now it starts, you can hear the fan, but a black screen and no response from any of the keys. Tried EVERYTHING to get it to boot up but with no luck.

Luckily it still has a few months of warranty so I just opened a ticket and we will see what Lenovo comes back with. If needed I can send it in. I'll keep an eye on this forum incase any new suggestions come up. 

Options

10459 Posts

08-17-2015

Slovakia

26795 Signins

583499 Page Views

• Views: 583499
  • Message 27 of 32

2021-04-23, 13:38 PM

Hi all,

if your IP Flex 5 14ARE05 doesn't start, please try to push the Novo button (pin hole) at the same time as you are powering up the machine to recover from this error:

Position #6 - Novo button

If you can't get your machine out of this state using the Novo button, I'm afraid that you would need to get in touch with our service to get your machine diagnosed and repaired by our technicians.

Best regards,

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

EN : Welcome to the Community! Have you already participated in the forum survey? Please, let us know what you like about our forum and what we can improve. We listen to your feedback!

DE : Willkommen in der Community! Hatten Sie bereits an der Foren Umfrage teilgenommen? Wir benötigen die folgenden Informationen. Wir hören zu und lesen Ihre Kommentare gerne!

CZ/SK : Vítejte v Komunitě! Už jste se zúčastnili našeho průzkumu fóra? Potřebujeme následující informace. S radostí posloucháme a čteme vaše komentáře!
_
Communities: English Deutsch Español Portugues Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Moto English
_

Options

6 Posts

02-22-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 28 of 32

2021-04-23, 20:03 PM

The Novo button will not fix the issue we're seeing here. The BIOS is corrupt after a Windows Update unexpectedly tries pushing it down. During the BIOS update the laptop makes loud beeping noises and -given the odd hours the update happes- the noise is worrisome and some users (such as my daughter) instinctively force shut down the machine. Of course, shutting down the machine during a firmware update will leave it in a bad state.

Some follow-up for Lenovo from this:

• Don't distribute BIOS / firmware updates through Windows Update. These kinds of updates must be user-initiated and monitored at all times given their potential to brick the device;
  • The laptops need a ROM USB bootloader to allow reflashing the BIOS from an external USB device in case of update failure;

FWIW, my laptop was fixed in ~5 weeks after sending it for repair (luckily it was still under warranty). However, given this experience, I will not be purchasing another Lenovo laptop in the future (if it happens again when out of warranty I'll be given no self-service option and be left with an expensive doorstop).

Options

5 Posts

03-14-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 29 of 32

2021-04-24, 18:27 PM

My Flex 5 arrived at the depot Apr 2nd. My ticket didn't get updated until Apr 20th. Now it's on hold waiting for parts with expected completion by Jul 9th. Ridiculous!

I understand the computer chip shortage, but they are selling this laptop on amazon for cheaper now! For quicker repair times, they should give me a new one and sell the old one later when it's repaired.

Options

2 Posts

04-15-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 30 of 32

2021-04-27, 15:12 PM

My latest update....  since my laptop was still under warranty per Lenovo I took it to the local "authorized" repair shop which in my case is Best Buy. As expected, after 30 seconds I was told they would have to send it in for repairs which would take approximately 4-6 weeks. In my case the time frame was unacceptable. As a result I signed up for Lenovo's "Premium Care" which provides for a tech to come on-site to resolve the issue. After a few days of reschedule (due to waiting for parts) the tech showed up and rather then doing any diagnostics just replaced the motherboard which of course resolved the issue. 

The Premium Care cost me $99 but was better than the alternative of a 4-6 week wait. The Lenovo service tech was knowledgeable and professional. He indicated they did not have the equipment in the field to re-flash the bios which is why the motherboard replacement. 

After the initial boot-up the system AGAIN went through the bios update (since this was a new motherboard). We watch (almost in horror) as the update status bar froze and the beeping started. We left it alone and after about 90 seconds the update resumed an all was well. 

I'm satisfied with the outcome... but if the original bios update would have worked correctly we would never had been in this situation. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms