Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

04-16-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 9

IdeaPad Flex camera issues

2021-04-16, 0:51 AM

I have had an IdeaPad Flex for over a year. After a few months of having it, my camera stopped working properly. It would glitch with colored bars all over the screen. I contacted support and they managed to fix the issue temporarily but they closed the case. The camera glitches most of the time and sometimes won't even work.  Sometimes it works fine but I never know how long that will last. I tried contacting support over the phone a few times today with no success. Now the computer is out of the warranty and I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done about it. The computer is a Flex-14IML laptop.

Options

1861 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

115 Signins

10725 Page Views

• Views: 10725
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:IdeaPad Flex camera issues

2021-04-16, 12:56 PM

Hello sarahk124,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thank you for reaching out to the community boards. You may try to run these troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue if this could be hardware related.

I might suggest try to fully uninstall the camera driver then install the recommended drivers from the support site.

Go to the support page and enter your machine serial number, go to Drivers and Software tab, click the Manual Update to see the list of drivers. Download the camera drivers.

Open the Device Manager and uninstall the Camera drivers, be sure to tick the checkbox to fully uninstall the driver. Once done, install the camera drivers you have downloaded/saved earlier.

You may also try checking if the same issue would occur on safe mode.

Let us know once convenient.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

05-04-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 9

IdeaPad Flex camera issues

2021-05-04, 13:51 PM
My situation is almost exactly as you've described sarahk124. My camera/webcam glitching issue also started about a year after I got the laptop. I can temporarily fix the glitching (video from camera is broken in bands that randomly and independently flicker) by randomly physically mashing on the camera until the video returns to normal. The length of time the camera video stays "fixed" by this mashing appears to be decreasing - ie, the glitching appears to be occurring more frequently 😒 My computer is the IdeaPad FLEX-15IWL (model: MP1HA82E), and I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers at least twice so far.
Options

978 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

395 Signins

4880 Page Views

• Views: 4880
  • Message 4 of 9

2021-05-04, 14:07 PM

Especially when mechanically squeezing the bezel near the camera corrects the problem, this points to a mechanical issue with loose or damaged wires.  Changing drivers won't help that.

Unfortunately disassembly to reach the camera and its wires is often one of the most labor intensive repairs.  Find your system hardware manual to see the procedures.  Go here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/  and plot your serial number into a search box.   On that page the PARTS system is available by link to find the lenovo parts for your exact PC.

I usually rejoice when the Warranty expires, then I am "free to move about my PC" on my own....

If you are limited in funding, an expedient change is to use an external USB web cam.  These used to be ubiquitous and available for low cost from your next door neighbors garage sale.

Good Luck,

Ussedtoberich

Options

1861 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

115 Signins

10725 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-05-04, 15:13 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums Rouxbella,

I'm sorry to hear about the camera issue. All machines and devices are subject for wear and tear, which means that at some point in time, the hardware components of the unit will physically deteriorate depending on how the device was used and on the environment where it was mostly utilized.

In addition to what was advised to you, it might be best to have the machine checked by any nearby service facility in your region if you wish to keep the machine within your reach.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

05-04-2021

Ireland

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-05-04, 16:15 PM

Exact same problem here - IdeaPadS340 is exactly 14 months old and a fortnight ago, the camera started to flicker and then failed and later came back; camera hasn't been used since. Today it flickered, failed and not a sign of it coming back. I am very disappointed to think that such an integral part (and so difficult and expensive to repair/replace) fails after c 1 year's use.

Options

1861 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

115 Signins

10725 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-05-05, 9:26 AM

Welcome to the Community Forums Camerafailure,

I appreciate your time taken to include your concern within this thread. I'm very sorry to hear about what had transpired to your camera. As I have mentioned and what others have mentioned on the first part of the thread, a time will come when the machine will reach a specific time that a part will be damaged. Hence, for issues like this, it would be best if you can find an alternative to operate on the camera or try to reach out to any service facility so a professional may check on your unit for further recommendation.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Options

2 Posts

05-04-2021

Ireland

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-05-05, 9:33 AM

Thank you - I appreciate that 'a time will come' but that time should surely not be 13.5 months! I'd say the camera has been used no more than 20 times in the 14 months I have had the Lenovo IdeaPad.

Options

2 Posts

05-04-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-05-09, 5:28 AM

@ Camerafailure wrote:

Thank you - I appreciate that ' time will come' but that time should surely not be 13.5 months! I' say the camera has been used no more than 20 times in the 14 months I have had the Lenovo IdeaPad.

I am complete agreement. I have other Lenovo computers, many years older, that have functioning cameras. There would appear to be a theme here, recent models of Lenovo laptops are experience camera failures 12 to 18 months in. I realize there are ramifications of acknowledging this reality, but it comes with the territory.

I am left with purchasing an external camera or taking the risk of opening up the device to see if I can identify any cable connection issues (I'm the user who experiencing temporary elimination in camera glitching after application of mechanical pressure over the area of the camera). Having issues is not a problem - it is a fact of life of manufacturing. Dealing with the situation poor--now that's an issue.

Hope others struggling with camera issues are able to find remedies. Wish me luck!

PS: any recommendations for a lightweight external camera, something light enough to sit without affecting position of screen.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms