Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

08-25-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 130: SSD upgrade & warranty question

2019-08-26, 2:30 AM

My ideapad 130-15AST indicates that my 256 GB SSD is nearly full. Can I open the case and install a larger SSD without voiding the warranty?

Moderator note: off-topic post moved to its own thread. Subject edited to match content. Was: Re: Ideapad 500 - Battery "plugged in, charging" but will not charge

Options

Betreff: Ideapad 130: SSD upgrade & warranty question

2019-08-26, 10:20 AM

Since Lenovo lists nothing on any low to mid-end device as CRU but rather as FRU (which have to be replaced by the service), I doubt that they give you the manufacturers warranty. The legal warranty kicks in when your device shows defects within a certain period of time after buying, but that also covers only the original parts that the device came with. Should your device be defective and the defect is not related to the new SSD, it shouldn't affect your legal warranty, but I am not so certain on that. I had an internship at a computer manufacturers service/repair facility and they basically didn't give anything on there being additional RAM or another storage device in it that hasn't been in there beforehand. I mean, they checked if the defects were caused by these items by putting new manufacturer-approved components of the same type in, but if that wasn't the case, the warranty was still in use if I recall correctly.

Options

13185 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7449 Signins

756020 Page Views

• Views: 756020
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad 130: SSD upgrade & warranty question

2019-08-26, 13:12 PM

Hi RHO36,

Greetings.

You may open the case and do your upgrade without voiding the warranty as long as no other parts gets damage during and after the process. 

I have talked with the technical support team for US and Canada which you can also confirm if needed. Do take note that you need to place the original parts back if in case your need in-warranty service.

You can follow the directions as provided by your hardware manual from here.

Regards 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms