Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

04-12-2019

Australia

29 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 1 of 10

Ideapad 300 15ISK Critical BIOS update failure

2019-11-06, 9:35 AM

Every time i either run Lenovo Vantage or go on the support page, there is a critical bios update for my model. Ive tried running the exe from within windows many times under different BIOS settings (secure boot on and off etc), but every singhle time the update fails. It says firmware flash error and doesnt complete. Lenovo (in all their wisdom) only provide us with an exe for BIOS updates for my model rather than a bootable CD ISO option, which limits the ways in which we can apply the update.

My question is, does anyone know of anywhere that i can get a bootable iso copy of the bvios updates for my Ideapad 300 15ISK? Lenovo have been ABSOLUTELY NO HELP WHATSOEVER on the matter. They told me if i wasnt having trouible then just to leave it, but the fact is my BIOS is outdfated and their support keeps telling me there is a critical update, so i want it to be updated.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Options

434 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

164 Signins

8969 Page Views

• Views: 8969
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Ideapad 300 15ISK Critical BIOS update failure

2019-11-20, 18:18 PM

Hi  ,

Welcome to Community Forums!

Sorry for the late response.

Check for the current BIOS version first on your laptop:

• Press Windows Key + R
  • In the Run Command windows , type msinfo32 > press enter

It should open the System Information window. In System Summary, the BIOS Version/Date should be on row 11.

Check the BIOS version for Ideapad 300-15ISK using this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/300-15isk/80rs/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI

Just type in the Serial Number > click search > Drivers and Software > Manual Update > BIOS/UEFI

Then compare the BIOS version/date in System Information and the one on the support site.

If it's the same version, then no need to update the BIOS.

Hope this helps with your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

9 Posts

04-12-2019

Australia

29 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2019-12-06, 15:51 PM

Hello Malvin,

No it doesnt help with my query at all. Quite obviously the bios on the support site is different to the one i am running, that is why i have tried everything possible to update it. If it was the same then we wouldnt be talking about this....

The update doesnt work. It says CRITICAL update, so i would think that it is necessary, if only it was the right update and didnt fail every time.

Options

434 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

164 Signins

8969 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2019-12-06, 21:52 PM

Hi  ,

Thanks for replying.

Are you getting an error message when you try to install the BIOS update on the Support Site?

You can try to reset the BIOS to default:

• Press NOVO Button (using a paperclip / pin)
  • Inside NOVO Button menu, select BIOS Setup using the up/down arrow keys then press enter
  • Inside BIOS utility, press F9 > load optimal defaults > Yes
  • Go to Security Tab > disable Secure Boot
  • Press F10 to save and exit

Then try to install the updated BIOS again. After BIOS reset and still you cannot update, next option is full reset.

Give us updates on how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

9 Posts

04-12-2019

Australia

29 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2019-12-07, 2:45 AM

As i said in my first post, i have tried installing the bios in many different ways and none of them wolrk. yes, it is ther bios from support.

Options

9 Posts

04-12-2019

Australia

29 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2019-12-07, 7:30 AM

I got the same error that I've got every other time.... I've attached a photo

Options

9 Posts

04-12-2019

Australia

29 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2019-12-13, 9:53 AM
So is that it now? My help stops all of a sudden once we get to the point where its a faulty bios update and not my fault? Because thats certainly how it has been THE ENTIRE TIME Ive tried to get help on the issue..... @malvin_lenovo
Options

434 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

164 Signins

8969 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2019-12-18, 17:35 PM

Hi  ,

We apologize for the late response. 

BIOS upgrade works only with UEFI boot mode with GPT style partitions.

You can refer to this article on how to Convert MBR to GPT: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-an-mbr-disk-into-a-gpt-disk.

Another option that you can try is to copy the .exe file of the BIOS version on a bootable device (CD/USB).

Set Boot Mode to UEFI. Then run the file on the bootable device.

If it still fails, you may need to call Tech Support for repair options if unit is still under warranty.

Regards

Options

9 Posts

04-12-2019

Australia

29 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2019-12-19, 3:43 AM

Thanks for the reply, however I have tried every option except for the cd because Lenovo doesn't provide a bootable iso image. My PC is running GPT partitions and I have tried uefi, uefi with legacy, and with secure boot enabled and disabled. If I had an iso file I could burn it to cd but they only provide me with a useless exe file.

Options

9 Posts

04-12-2019

Australia

29 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2020-01-23, 11:17 AM

i DONT NEED TO CONVERT FROM MBR TO GPT, MY SSD IS IN GPT FORMAT. THE BIOS UPDATE DOESNT WORK. THIS FORUM IS LITERALLY OVERCROWDED WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SIMILIAR PROBLEMS. IF LENOVO WOULD STOP WASTING THEIR TIME WITH THESE .exe BIOS UPDATES AND START PROVIDING PEOPLE WITH BOOTABLE ISO FILES THEN WE COULD GET ON WITH OUR LIVES...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms