Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-03-2019

Belgium

1 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 2

Ideapad 320 15IKB Screen brightness issues

2019-02-03, 10:47 AM

I've been having a lot of problems with my ideapad lately. There's a series of events of which I can't pinpoint the cause. It all started a few months ago when the screen went dark while I wasn't doing anything in particular. Holding a flashlight to it revealed that my laptop was indeed still on and could still be used, even though the screen was dark. This happened bout 3 times in 2 days (I'm a student, so my laptop is on a lot of the time). Back then, I updated some drivers which resolved the issue, or so I thought.

About a month ago, it happened again. And since then, it's gotten both weirder and worse. My screen has gone completely dark like before, but it has also simply gone slightly dim, disabling me from turning the brightness up again, like when your battery hits 20%. Needless to say, my battery wasn't nearly empty at all, it had like 80% left. This effect didn't go away when I charged it, and could only be resolved by rebooting it.

Other things happened as it got worse: sometimes the laptop's screen would randomly go dark for several seconds, and would then just shut down. It would only reboot when charged, but after that it seemed fine again. This happened about 3 times in one week, again while I wasn't doing anything in partcular.

After that, it became even worse. The battery wouldn't charge anymore at all. It just stayed around 85%. At that point, I had finals coming up so I kept it 'charging' 24/7, scared that if I used it when it wasn't plugged in, it might die and never reboot again.

All of the above led me to believe that there was a problem with my battery, which seemed obvious because problems would only occur when my laptop was using battery power. So naturally, I had my battery replaced. For one blessed week, all problems were gone; my new battery charged and discharged without problems, my screen brightness was always exactly how I wanted it to be. Until today.

Approaching 20% left in my battery, the screem went dim, like normal. However, a few seconds later, when I was doing something on my phone, I noticed the screem dim yet again (but not to a complete darkness). So I immediately plug it in, which brightened it up again, but not completely. Now, as I'm writing this, my computer has set the maximum brightness to the one you have when your battery is almost empty. However, my laptop is once again charging, and has already 64%. I predict this issue will resolve itself when I reboot it.

Naturally, this has me worried once again. I'm afraid my screen will start going completely black again at some point, and that my computer might somehow be breaking my battery.

So my first question is: should I be worried about what's going on right now? Is this going to be a problem again, or will it likely never happen again at all? Could it maybe be a problem with my drivers? Or is it likely some faulty hardware in my computer?

Thanks in advance for taking your time reading this and replying.

Options

156 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

136 Signins

585 Page Views

• Views: 585
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Ideapad 320 15IKB Screen brightness issues

2019-02-28, 19:29 PM

Hi SF6! Welcome to Community Forums.

Issue could be due to software/driver problem or hardware component that is starting to fail. Issues may happen at any point of time. It may happen out of the box, a week after, a month, a year. We really cannot tell when will it happen again, a hardware component will eventually fail over time.

Run the Lenovo Vantage utility to update softwares and drivers in your machine, search Lenovo Vantage (download if not installed). Open the app and look for system updates.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms