English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

09-26-2018

US

45 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 1 of 16

Ideapad 330s, screen brightness, intermittent flash. HELP!

2018-09-26, 18:16 PM

Hi Lenovo community! 

I just recently purchased an Ideapad 330s with AMD Ryzen 5 and VEGA 8 Mobile GPU. I absolutely love the machine but have encountered an extremely annoying and befuddling issue.

It seems as if the screen will randomly "flash" for a split second, almost like the brightness is suddenly increasing a step. The issue happens 2-5 times in an 8 hour period, doesn't seem to be related to any specific application (im usually using chrome) and is not affected by battery supply. 

I have already gone through the usual driver unistall/reinstalls for both the display and monitor drivers. I've adjusted and re adjusted battery and brightness settings. I've done some cursory hardware checks as well, and the issue doesn't seem to stem from the screen itself. No matter what I do I cant seem to reproduce the issue and I cant seem to figure it out. I have already spoken with lenovo support and I've done just about everything including a system reset.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this specific problem? Once again, the screen will randomly flash like the brightness is increasing for a split second and then return to normal. 

Thanks!

Options

2 Posts

11-30-2018

US

5 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Ideapad 330s, screen brightness, intermittent flash. HELP!

2018-11-30, 7:05 AM

I have the EXACT same situation.  It started about a week ago and its become a daily situation.

Random bright white flash - almost like a camera flash.  It happens while using Chrome but its so random that there is no explanation for what triggers it.   I tried updating the drivers as well.  Its very painful to deal with and I'm at a loss what to do since there are no replies.

I'm going to give it a few days and then see what I can do about returning this.  I can't use a laptop like this since I'm sensitive to flashses.

This is the 2nd Lenovo I have graphics issues with.  Very troubling and hope I can get it fixed.  Open to any ideas but not sure what else to do.  

Options

8 Posts

09-26-2018

US

45 Signins

315 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2018-11-30, 14:39 PM
That's it! It stinks that you are having the same issue but at least I know I'm not crazy now.

I originally thought the issue was exclusive to Chrome as well, but I've seen it happen while using Word.

As far as what to do, unless someone shows up with a magic solution on the forum I am just going to send the machine back to the manufacturer once I have the chance. I took it into a registered Lenovo service provider about a month ago and they said they couldn't do anything about it because they could not re-produce the issue since it is so random.

Best of luck!
Options

223 Posts

08-02-2018

PH

142 Signins

1681 Page Views

• Views: 1681
  • Message 4 of 16

2018-11-30, 15:33 PM

Hi cclaytonpaul,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Forums!

When did the issue start happening? Since it is random, it is a bit hard to identify which causes it. Let's run the hardware diagnostics via Lenovo Vantage https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505081. To test the hardware components and identify hardware failure. If after the test and it finds no errors on the hardware parts, please follow the steps on this article https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT500364. Please update us on how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

11-30-2018

US

5 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 5 of 16

2018-12-01, 7:03 AM

Thanks for sharing your situation.  I followed the mod's instructions.  I had already updated the graphics driver so I went ahead with the Lenovo Vantage package.  I finished the hardware test - nothing wrong - but it requested I update the BIOS.  I finished that update and am now in the process of testing the machine.  As you know, there is no full proof method.  So I'll just keep using it until it flashes again.. or better yet, never has that problem again.

Options

9 Posts

12-01-2018

IN

4 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 6 of 16

2018-12-01, 7:10 AM
As per you issue,seems it is a hardware problem arising from the LCD cable.
Get in touch with support team to refix or replace the cable
Options

8 Posts

09-26-2018

US

45 Signins

315 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2018-12-04, 15:22 PM

Hi Maru,

So I ran hardware diagnostics and followed the directions in the article, but still no solution. According to the diagnostics and anything else I have tried, the machine should be working fine. I'm wondering if it is actually a problem with the LCD cable like the user below mentioned?

Options

222 Posts

08-02-2018

PH

155 Signins

855 Page Views

• Views: 855
  • Message 8 of 16

2018-12-04, 16:36 PM

Hello! I recommend to contact our support team for warranty options. Please click https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist then filter it by your current country. Thanks. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

1 Posts

01-25-2019

IE

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 9 of 16

2019-01-25, 19:20 PM

I'm another victim of this laptop defect. 

Did you try to change to a linux distro to see if it happens in linux too?

Did you manage to mitigate the issue ?

I have a 330s ryzen 5 and experience a very annoying flash from time to time, on a daily basis.

Options

8 Posts

09-26-2018

US

45 Signins

315 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2019-02-03, 16:08 PM

Still no luck dealing with this issue. Unfortunately, I dont really have the time to keep troubleshooting or even to send it Lenovo service. It will just have to wait until the summer when I dont need to be using the machine 8 hours a day.

Best of luck, let me know if you find a solution!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete