Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

06-19-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 1 of 10

Ideapad 5 - 10 months old and both hinges have self destructed

2021-06-19, 2:32 AM

I bought an Ideapad 5 last August, for home use - it doesn't travel or leave the house.    In April, the laptop was 8 months old, the left side hinge self destructed.   I've opened  multiple support cases, attached numerous pictures, but the Lenovo response is they do not cover 'damage'.   I've tried multiple times to explain this isn't damage this is part failure.    However Lenovo doesn't care and says it damage and they wont do anything about it.   Well tonite the right hinge imploded just like the left hinge.   The same piece that snapped and broke on the right, broke on the left.    I've opened a new case, but I'm sure that Lenovo will not care.

Not sure what is more worthless their warranty or their service.

Admin note; post edited in accordance with the Community Guidelines.

Options

367 Posts

03-27-2020

Philippines

39 Signins

1425 Page Views

• Views: 1425
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Ideapad 5 - 10 months old and both hinges have self destructed

2021-06-20, 3:36 AM

Hi nomonc,

This would be the same Accidental Damage scope they similar have in any major manufacturers and not just Lenovo.

I suggest you discuss it further with the warranty team for consideration.

-Dbrix

- Apologies in advance for not getting back soon on regular days. Please proceed with any Community members that can share their ideas and experiences to help.
Options

11553 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33037 Signins

1234815 Page Views

• Views: 1234815
  • Message 3 of 10

2021-06-21, 9:09 AM

Hello and welcome to Community,

I'm sorry to read you have been experiencing difficulties, maybe if you could post your current case number the Community Team could check the details and perhaps be of assistance, without knowing the exact details it is difficult to advise. That said, as you are dissatisfied with the level of service you have received you can request the Call Centre to escalate your case to a complaint stating your reason. "Complaint" is the word to use and please don't request to speak to a supervisor or manager, they are always busy and the chances of speaking to one is very slim. You will need to provide the Call Centre Representative with your case numbers along with personal details, they will then be able to open a complaint on your behalf and explain any further steps in the process. 

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

12 Posts

06-19-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-06-21, 22:59 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the response.   The issue started on the left hinge started on April.  I noticed a creaking on the hinge.  The next day screen separated from the hinge.   I opened a case that day (2002192031) was told it was damage.  I talked to the help desk, and was told it's damage there is nothing to be done.   I tried several more cases to plead that this is not part damage, but part failure to no avail.   Now that the right hinge has separated in the exact same way, I've opened case 200249068 - still waiting to hear back.  

From what I can tell the hinges start freezing up.   As you try to close the lid because the hinge wont rotate and snaps loose from the lip.    Now that both side hinges are exposed they are very though to move.

Options

12 Posts

06-19-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-06-23, 23:14 PM

Just went and checked the status of my latest case since I hadn't heard anything and it was marked Resolved back on the 19th.   No emails, explanations, no help.   Keep up the good work Lenovo.

Options

11553 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33037 Signins

1234815 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-06-24, 7:42 AM

Hello,

That case was closed because it was a duplicate, as were others, the original case number is 2002003497 which is the one I suggest you request be escalated.

Andy

Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

12 Posts

06-19-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-06-26, 18:07 PM

Hi,

I tried the complaint method.   The call center once again informed me that no damage is covered - however she did say I could take it to Lenovo Authorized Center and have it evaluated, and if they can determine whether or not to repair it under warranty.  In my case the local authorized center is Geek Squad.     So I make an appointment, and take it up to Geek Squad.   They look at it for about 3m and tell me Lenovo doesn't cover any damage.  Even though he agrees the hinges look frozen/broken and caused the issue, they and Lenovo won't cover it.  Direct quote ...."Sometimes faulty parts get shipped out".   Very insightful - but still doesn't change I'm stuck with with laptop under warranty that no one wants to take responsibility for.

The message is coming loud and clear.   Its your fault for buying from us and expecting us to actually stand behind our product....  Well message received....

Options

1 Posts

07-02-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 8 of 10

2021-07-02, 23:29 PM

I had 2 of this laptop for school work for my elementary kids. It is set up to be connected to another screen, so it is very seldom disconnected. One of the laptop had the same issue, and still within warranty period. Basically lenovo is washing hand of this, and i am sure that the other one will have same issue soon. Really dissapointed with the company, and  you just lost ablong time lenovo buyer.

Options

11553 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33037 Signins

1234815 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-07-13, 14:51 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry that you haven't had the best experience and hopefully we are on the road to correct that. The Community Team has been doing some work in the background, we have hopefully been able to arrange for repair exceptions for you, support will be reaching out hopefully very soon to you.

@nomonc I have sent you a private message requesting a piece of information I couldn't find in regards to this

Andy

Lenovo eServices

Options

12 Posts

06-19-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-08-12, 0:27 AM

Finally...some kudos to Lenovo for stepping up and looking at this issue based on my experience and others that have their own threads.   I have received my replacement laptop.  Hopefully these hinges hold up, and they can find the root cause of the hinge issues.   Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms