Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-03-2021

Italy

3 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 6

Ideapad 5 14ARE05 Fan spikes and then turns off

2021-07-03, 21:28 PM

Hello Lenovo community,

I recently purchased an Ideapad 5 14ARE05 (type 81YM) equipped with a Ryzen 7 4700u. So far great laptop, the only problem i'm facing is, as the title suggests, that often the fans will spike intermittently for 5-6 seconds, even during light usage such as normal browsing, and then will shuts completely off. This is really annoying, because instead of having a "constant" noise level , the fan goes 100% for a bit and then turns completely off once the CPU reaches about 60 C°.   I saw multiple report of this problem but no definitive solution. This post is my last try before sending the laptop back.

Thins i've tried so far:

- BIOS is updated to the latest version

- tried all the lenovo profiles (extreme performance, battery saving, intelligente cooling). Made no difference

-  room temperature is about 25 C°

- Looking at HWINFO the sensors that shows the higher temperature (and the sudden spikes) is the TCTL sensor

The solutions i saw on the web are either to disable the turbo boost (not a real solution) or changing the thermal paste (may try this, but before opening a new pc i would like to know if anyone has resolved in other ways)

Answer
Options

5 Posts

07-03-2021

Italy

3 Signins

45 Page Views

Re:Ideapad 5 14ARE05 Fan spikes and then turns off

2021-07-05, 11:54 AM

An update for everyone with the same problem that will land on this topic: 

This is what i've found after opening the notebook and checking the thermal paste, Keep in mind that the device ONLY HAD ABOUT 100 HOURS OF USAGE (measured  with ssd usage through crystaldiskinfo):

The thermal paste was completely dry and flaky. After replacing it with a good quality thermal paste (grizzly kryonaut) the problem looks fixed, no more ramping up of the fans and no more spikes in temperatures.

To be honest it's unbelievable to me that a tech giant like Lenovo is able to create beautiful machines such as this ideapad, but then fails on  a basic thing like the thermal paste. 

So if your: 

- fans spikes up intermittently to 100% and then turns completely off

- tctl/tdie sensor spikes in temperature (from 60 to 80C°)

Then look at thermal paste of your laptop.

Replies(5)
Options

222 Posts

03-27-2020

Philippines

28 Signins

900 Page Views

• Views: 900
  • Message 2 of 6

2021-07-04, 10:41 AM

Hi ciucciodifuoco,

Will you have the same issue when changing the profile for intelligent cooling in Vantage.

-Dbrix

- Apologies in advance for not getting back soon on regular days. Please proceed with any Community members that can share their ideas and experiences to help.
Options

5 Posts

07-03-2021

Italy

3 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-07-04, 10:45 AM
Hi Brix, thanks for the reply. Yes , i tried all the profiles . Yersterday i also tried reverting to older BIOS, but the issue was not fixed. I saw some suggestions stating that the copper plate of the heatsink may not be properly aligned + thermal paste quality issues
Answer
Options

5 Posts

07-03-2021

Italy

3 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-07-05, 11:54 AM

An update for everyone with the same problem that will land on this topic: 

This is what i've found after opening the notebook and checking the thermal paste, Keep in mind that the device ONLY HAD ABOUT 100 HOURS OF USAGE (measured  with ssd usage through crystaldiskinfo):

The thermal paste was completely dry and flaky. After replacing it with a good quality thermal paste (grizzly kryonaut) the problem looks fixed, no more ramping up of the fans and no more spikes in temperatures.

To be honest it's unbelievable to me that a tech giant like Lenovo is able to create beautiful machines such as this ideapad, but then fails on  a basic thing like the thermal paste. 

So if your: 

- fans spikes up intermittently to 100% and then turns completely off

- tctl/tdie sensor spikes in temperature (from 60 to 80C°)

Then look at thermal paste of your laptop.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3120 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

193 Signins

17879 Page Views

• Views: 17879
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-07-22, 15:37 PM

Hi @ciucciodifuoco 

Thanks for updating the thread. Technically by default there could be an issue narrowing down to the fan or heatsink if the machine goes on shutdown.

Good to know that this was highlighted as a resolution and could be useful reference some day for others going through a similar phase. Feel free to visit the Community anytime or start a new query on the boards if you have inquiry.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

07-03-2021

Italy

3 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-07-23, 17:41 PM

@ Dex_Lenovo wrote:

Hi @ciucciodifuoco 

Thanks for updating the thread. Technically by default there could be an issue narrowing down to the fan or heatsink if the machine goes on random powerdown.

Good to know that this was highlighted as a resolution and could be useful reference some day for others going through a similar phase. Feel free to visit the Community anytime or start a new query on the boards if you have inquiry.

Regards.
Dex

Hi Dex,

there was no random shut down of the machine, the "turns off" of the title refers just to the fans, not the whole machine. The problem, as highligthed in my previous posts, was caused by very dry thermal paste, even if the machine was  totally brand new.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms