Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

07-21-2019

Indonesia

14 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 720S 14IKB Not running at Max CPU Speed Frequency

2019-08-11, 3:25 AM

Hi guys, I've been using this laptop for about 6 months now. No major complain and disappointment.

I know some people complaining fan noise, but for me is still okay.

Until I realize, CPU speed is not running (and can't make it) at max designed CPU frequency.
I use i5 8250U with frequency range 1.6 - 3.4 GHZ.

But test it with gaming, benchmark software, cpu tester, it never run at above 1,8 GHZ.

From power option at control panel, I found "Config TDP Level". The option available are:

18.8W @ 1.8GHZ

18.8W @ 0.8GHZ

18.8W @ 1.6GHZ

1.8GHZ is highest available I can choose.

Anyone what is the problem, do I need to config somewhere to get max frequency of my CPU?

Options

1634 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

485 Signins

17103 Page Views

• Views: 17103
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad 720S 14IKB Not running at Max CPU Speed Frequency

2019-09-17, 19:04 PM

Hello nico89s

Thanks for reaching out. The base clock speed of the i5 8250u is 1.6ghz to 1.8ghz the reason why you only have these options for overclocking is because this is designed to allow you to run only at the maximum recommended power level for the CPU. Windows will be the one to clock the processor higher than the allowed amount when the system needs it. I.E. running processor intensive apps.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

Re: Ideapad 720S 14IKB Not running at Max CPU Speed Frequency

2019-09-18, 5:24 AM

Like the previous poster said, the clock bases itself on the load. When running basic tasks my Ryzen 5 2500U sometimes also doesn't clock much above its base clock of 2GHz, yet it will go up to its maximum 3.6GHz when actually needed. Running benchmarks puts most likely 100% load on the CPU on all cores. Cooling these "15W" CPUs (which use up to 45 Watts under full load for short periods of time) is quite a challenge, esepecially in thin cases like yours. That's most likely why you will not see higher clock rates.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms