Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-06-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 38
  • Message 181 of 225

Re: Ideapad 720S-14IKB fan noise/cycling

2018-12-06, 13:04 PM

Just to say that this thread has been very helpful, thanks to everyone for that. After much faffing around, I've finally come to a solution that completely stops the annoying fan noise.

The solution is to use NoteBook FanControl with the config set as "Lenovo Yoga 2 13". I've made sure that the fan control service status is set to enabled. 

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/NoteBook-FanControl.shtml 

The CPU isn't being throttled in the power options "maximum processor state" (set to 100%) and the TDP is still set at 1.8GHz.

The fans do still power up at about 70 degrees but generally, it's silent. I have noticed the laptop is running hotter when plugged in, so I am tempted to try the thermal paste option to keep it cooler. But overall with this solution, much more pleased with this laptop!

Options

9 Posts

10-25-2018

11 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 182 of 225

2018-12-07, 22:02 PM

Thanks for the idea of using NBFC. I tried it (downloaded from the developer's Github repo) and, from what I can tell, on that settings (Yoga 2) it seems to be turning off the fans completely until the CPU temp hits the critical limit (75C). So, it's nice and quiet but I'm a bit concerned the CPU is running hot (in my use cases anyway).

PS: not sure if uninstalling NBFC resets the EC or not. To be sure, if you want to reset the EC unplug the laptop, shut it down, press and hold power button for ~15-30s (after ~15s the fans turned on for 1-2s suggesting the EC was reset).

Options

3 Posts

12-06-2018

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 183 of 225

2018-12-09, 10:56 AM

The laptop is running hot, it generally sits at around 60c within an hour or so of general working (emails, browser, etc). When I put it under load, the fans do fire up when you say and drop it to the same temperature. Is it really a problem the laptop sitting between 60 - 70c?

What's the benefit of resetting the EC? If I'm honest I'm not sure what it is!

Options

9 Posts

10-25-2018

11 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 184 of 225

2018-12-09, 12:05 PM

I think staying around 60-70 is probably a little high for normal use. If you Google 'safe cpu temperature' you'll see that <60C for continuous use is where it should be. If you are getting to that temp after some time then you're probably OK. My concern is that the fans seem to be completely disabled by NBFC until the critical temp is hit.

EC is embedded controller. It's what NBFC uses to control the fans. When I decided to uninstall NBFC I wasn't entirely convinced that the EC was returned to its original settings (I could be wrong) so I reset the EC as described earlier. 

Interestingly, when I compare the temps with SpeedFan I see NBFC is somewhat higher!

Options

3 Posts

12-06-2018

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 185 of 225

2018-12-09, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the explanation!

I'll keep an eye on things in that case. I'll also do some testing with other software to see whether NBFC is showing the right temps.

I'm wondering if redoing the thermal paste might help keep the temps down? I've heard it has helped other laptops, specifically the Macbooks due to their crappy paste. Never done it, but there's always a first!

Options

9 Posts

10-25-2018

11 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 186 of 225

2018-12-09, 12:43 PM

My take on it is this:

- The fan is noisy when it spins up - nothing is going to change that short of a hardware change!

- The best we can do is limit how often it spins up and, perhaps, the speed that it runs at. Or limit the processor!

- The default 'setting' for when the fans spin up seemed quite agressive and seemed, to me, to be full on or nothing. Having reinstalled windows, I feel like the fans now have an itermediary speed rather than just full speed.

The options seem to be:

- Change the TDP: since reinstalling Windows not sure this has been that effective.

- Change Max Processor State: quieter but it limits the CPU

- Play around with NBFC or SpeedFan and see if we can find a config that works. I've not looked into how this all works.

- Await something from Lenovo that runs the fans a little less aggressively.

Thermal paste *may* help keep the temps a little lower but I'm not yet convinced that is an issue. The fans spin up when the CPU demand is relatively high and the temp starts to go above ~35C. I don't think modifying the thermal paste will reduce the temp significantly enough to not cause the fans to spin up. And, whenever the fans spin up they will be noisy (HW issue)! I'm happy to be proven wrong but the other thing to consider is how easy the laptop is to open and what it will mean for your warranty.

Options

1 Posts

12-11-2018

Norway

5 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 187 of 225

2018-12-11, 12:54 PM

So, after waiting 14 months or so for Lenovo to fix this issue (by altering the temperature limit for when the fans should spinn at full speed), I went ahead with replacing the thermal paste on my laptop.

It is allways interesting to see how good/bad the manufaturers did the work on the thermal paste themself, given the fact that there are houndreds or thousands of units assembled every day at their assembly line.

Needless to say, it seems they were in a hurry with my 720s (14IKB),  so much that the whole fysical Intel CPU "package"  was covered in thermal paste, and to the extent that it had gone down to the motherboard itself.  One  word "Messy".  It was way less ,relatively,  on the NVIDA cip (but i have deactivated that one i the bios, to help with the heat - And i dont us it for games anyways).

I rinsed the whole CPU and GPU (and parts of the motherboard close to the cpu) .  I of course allso rinsed the cooling solution "heat pipe"  from the obsessive amount of what I recon is not the best quality paste.

Applied a little bit of some high quality paste,  not the most expensive, but i imagine better quality than original paste that I removed.

https://noctua.at/en/nt-h1

I put one litte "drop" on the Intel CPU _die_  another drop on the intel GPU _die_  (on the same chip),   and then a little "drop" on the Nvidia gpu.

And guess what,  the difference - to me at least- is HUGE. 

The only time over the last two days the fan has spun to 100% was during a cpu benchmark.   

Where it before spunn to 100% everytime  i booted into Windows 10  (when your spotify, skype and other startup apps fires up in a new windows session)   both on battery and on power,  IT no longer does.   The thermals are completely changed.  and it now spinns up far less often, and "never" at 100% on standard use. 

Completely new pc in terms of accustics.  

As with these changes the waranty is probably broken, not that I care.   And of course the result may vary.  

But again, its a "new" laptop for me 

Good luck

Options

22 Posts

01-31-2018

Netherlands

34 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 188 of 225

2018-12-18, 14:11 PM
Version 6LCN23WW(V1.09) still not fixed :(
Summary of changes
==================
General Information:

6LCN23WW(V1.09)
Add:
1. Add option "Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology" in configuration page.

Modified:
1. Update includes some security fix. (PCR# CP20180928_0003&004).
2. Intel VT enable default.

Fixed:
NA

6LEC23WW(V1.09)
Modified:
       1.Rename from K36K108A.ROM.

Fixed:
NA

Limitation:
Due to enable Intel VT, this BIOS will load BIOS default after flash.

Options

36 Posts

11-04-2018

Canada

73 Signins

689 Page Views

• Views: 689
  • Message 189 of 225

2018-12-18, 19:12 PM

Hey guys,

I decided to remove the dust filter/mesh from the vent, now the fans stop spinning at 100% during normal usage while plugged in.

It may or may not void the warranty, but it does work for me.

Good luck.

Options

22 Posts

01-31-2018

Netherlands

34 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 190 of 225

2018-12-19, 12:22 PM
Thats seems not a permanent and right solution..
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms