Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-22-2021

Canada

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

I have to press the power button for more than 10 seconds..

2021-04-22, 4:33 AM

Hello,

I have a S740 and it is heading to the end of warranty in two months. After like 4-5 months of usage for almost everyday, I haven't turn it on often since I got busy on other stuffs. And the issue came up.

It won't power on even if I plugged and charged full. I had to press the power button for more than 10 secs to give it a life. I thought it was just one time thing as I didn't use it for a while and the battery died or something.

However, it keeps happening. Even if there is enough battery remaining. The power button won't respond unless I press for very long. This always happen a while after the laptop was shut off. Once it's started and I shut off right away and try to turn on, it turns on without issue..

Only when it is attempted to be turned on after a little while(I can't say how long), it won't turn on with one press..

I live in Canada and phoned the customer service and they actually sent me literally all the parts except the screen and one of technicians replaced all of them. I was hoping to see a solution but it happens the same after..

I don't know what causes this. So frustraing and mad. Can I return the laptop at this point? I need help please!

Options

2282 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

249 Signins

11666 Page Views

• Views: 11666
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:I have to press the power button for more than 10 seconds..

2021-04-22, 10:18 AM

Hi RoyBp,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

As you've had all the parts replaced, except the screen, it's quite weird that you have the same issue again, but it could be static buildup related, so try the following step in an attempt to solve the issue:

Static Discharge
- Remove all cables attached to the device (ac adapter/power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.
- Try this a couple of times in case it doesn't solve the issue the first time (2-3)

If this doesn't solve the issue then there could be a computer batch problem with the power button and you've gotten one with the same problem. I'd contact support again to see what can be done or the shop and ask what their return policy is.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3 Posts

04-22-2021

Canada

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:I have to press the power button for more than 10 seconds..

2021-04-22, 17:49 PM

I just tried that and still not working. I also found that when the screen is on and I close the laptop and it goes to sleep mode. I open it up again and the power button light is blinking. And when I try to wake it up, it still won't power up the screen. It's just horrible issue that I don't know where it comes from. Everything is caused from closing the laptop lid and then it won't wake up unless I do a long press(actually 15 secs minimum).

I brought this up to Lenovo on facebook and they forwarded it to the customer relation team. I will see what they can do... so annoying. How can I live with the lid is being open always? It's bs.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms