Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

28 Posts

12-14-2019

United States of America

63 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 1 of 32

Ideapad s740 15" battery drain when shut down

2019-12-14, 19:44 PM

This is a word of caution and also wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. My battery drains 7-8% per day when Windows is shut down. I am certain it is shut down because onekeybattery operates, a BIOS function, and I am using the Windows menu to shut down, as well as fast startup being off and always on USB being off. Pressing the power button displays the Lenovo logo on startup. I even disabled connected standby even though I knew it wasn't going in that mode from the "powercfg /batteryreport". The drain rate is the same whether onekeybattery is enabled or not, it is just more convenient to check battery level without booting windows to check it and risk it draining the battery more to do so.

However I just found that putting the battery in ship mode, i.e. deactivating the battery in the BIOS and shutting down, seems to preserve the battery level as much as I can tell (in a 16 hour test). I need to boot windows to look at the level though, and it dipped 1% but that's probably in measurement noise and needing extra power to boot up.

I thought the battery itself may be defective but now I wonder if there is defective circuitry on the main board that is drawing current when it isn't supposed to, and I hope this is not a design defect of the model or a BIOS bug or something. It's draining at least as fast I think as if it was suspended or something.

I am returning this one and ordered a new one. I am really hoping this is just an anomaly somewhere. I have a different brand laptop at work that is new, runs the same Windows 10, and when I charge to 100% and shut down it stays at 100% for days (with same Windows settings).

Options

433 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

155 Signins

9457 Page Views

• Views: 9457
  • Message 2 of 32

Re: Ideapad s740 15" battery drain when shut down

2019-12-18, 15:20 PM

Hi cautiousshopper.

Welcome to the Community Forums!

This is an overview about battery's :

Battery life (capacity) decreases with age and usage of battery.

Capacity is the length of time you can run your system on a fully charged battery.

It is normal for all batteries to lose some capacity over time. Each time you discharge and recharge your battery, you will lose a very small amount of this capacity.

You may also want to check for specific information on your system; for example, some BIOS updates include power management enhancements. Other systems have specific tools to help with battery life. To find drivers and files for your system.

Battery discharges when system is unplugged and powered off.

The battery will lose capacity when left in a system without the AC power attached because the system will draw a small amount of current that will deplete the capacity over time. Batteries will lose some charge over time due to self discharge; this is normal.

System does not operate though the battery is fully charged.

Verify system runs on AC power. If so, check battery health in Power Manager as outlined above. If system does not run on AC power, remove battery (if system has removable battery) and retest. If system works, contact support to replace battery. If system still does not operate, contact Lenovo local technical support center.

Battery will intermittently display low battery warning - Windows 7&10 (64-bit) - ideapad 700

Please try this troubleshooting steps.

Updating BIOS to version E5CN60WW or higher will fix this issue.

Regards.
Dondon_Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

28 Posts

12-14-2019

United States of America

63 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 3 of 32

2019-12-18, 16:28 PM

This laptop was manufactured Aug 23 2019, it is a new battery. It is not normal to draw 8% (5680 mWh of its capacity) per day in a powered off state, if so the design of the laptop is defective and shame on Lenovo. If the only way to stop the drain by design is to disconnect the battery in the BIOS every time you want to shut down then it's beyond pathetic and laughable.

The BIOS you are referring to is for an old model. I have the latest BIOS, I checked for all updates. I was frankly expecting any response from Lenovo on this forum to say yes that is not normal, please return the unit like 3 tech support people from Lenovo told me; and to see if anyone else has the problem or not.

I will try the replacement soon and see. Hopefully it is just a bad part inside. I hope it works because I like everything else except the fan curve/logic appears strange, and it can get kind of loud.

Options

28 Posts

12-14-2019

United States of America

63 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 4 of 32

2019-12-19, 17:11 PM

Lenovo, please have your engineers investigate if the BIOS can be draining the battery at such high rate in powered off state. Another same model laptop does the same thing at same rate. This is running with latest updates including Windows 1909. The only other thing I can think of trying is recover to factory image and don't activate windows, just hard power off and see if it still drains. I can't imagine the newer Windows affects power drain in shutdown state though. I believe the batteries have the same manufacturing date, but unsure it's the battery if it does not self-discharge when battery is disconnected in BIOS.

I can understand a slow drain, not 8% per day. Something must be left powered inside that shouldn't be. What a disappointment this is.

Something I noted is while sitting inside the BIOS looking at the screen and doing nothing, after about a minute the fans go full tilt on and the battery drains something like 1% per minute. What's that about??

Options

433 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

155 Signins

9457 Page Views

• Message 5 of 32

2019-12-19, 18:02 PM

Hi cautiousshopper.

I ran across this forum post the Community Forums, it's has similar issue with a proposed solution, regardless of the model, this should work
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Battery-draining-quickly/m-p/2099302#M124844

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/thinkpad-p51-battery-drain-after-complete-shutdown/m-p/4499734#M81950

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T500-Battery-draining-too-quickly/m-p/763885#M48498

You can try this troubleshooting steps.

1. Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Now press Enter or click OK

2. When Registry Editor opens, in the left pane go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power In the right pane, double-click the CsEnabled DWORD.

3.Set the Value Data to 0 and click OK to save changes.

4.After doing that, restart your PC and the problem should be permanently resolved. Bear in mind that by disabling this feature you’ll disable Sleep feature completely, 

Method 2

1. Start Command Prompt. Alternatively, you can use PowerShell.

2.Run shutdown /s command and your PC will shut down completely or

: Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog.
: Enter shutdown /s command and press Enter or click OK

Method 3

Disable Fast Startup:

1. Press Windows Key + S and enter power. Choose Power & sleep settings from the search results.

2. In the right pane, scroll down to the Related settings section and click Additional power settings.

3. The Power Options window will open. In the left pane, select Choose what the power button does.

4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.

5. Disable Turn on fast startup (recommended) option and click Save changes button then Reboot device, observe the battery for  consumption.

Give us anupdate on how it goes.

Regards.
Dondon_Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

28 Posts

12-14-2019

United States of America

63 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 6 of 32

2019-12-19, 21:41 PM

Thanks for doing that research but unfortunately I can tell you I already tried all those things on the first laptop and made no difference, including connected standby disabling, which I know it wasn't going into anyway from the battery report, and turning off fast startup, and always on usb. I do not see an option in BIOS to turn off wake on thunderbolt but will double check. There is no LAN adapter to turn off wake on LAN. There is no BIOS update for this model. The lenovo chat support told me to do these things. I also turned off onekeybattery in BIOS, anything I could find that might keep things powered. I know windows shuts down from detail I found in the event log. I will double-check shutdown /s way but how's that different to selecting Shut down in the menu?

My problem so far as I could tell is not battery drain while using it off battery, although I wouldn't notice too much 8% over a day since you can't run it off battery for 24 hours!

Options

28 Posts

12-14-2019

United States of America

63 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 7 of 32

2019-12-20, 15:08 PM

I did shutdown /s, made no difference. I also disabled Wi-Fi in the BIOS, and I went to Intel wireless driver properties and turned off wake on pattern and wake on magic packet, because I couldn't find any other way to make sure wake on WLAN is off, but I don't think it's supported since there is no power management tab? The only sleep states on this hardware is S0 (modern standby) and S4 (hibernate). I have no reason to believe it enters those states.

Also why is the fingerprint reader enabled to wake from sleep? It's the only device listed in the powercfg query for wake-enabled devices. I disabled that on the other one and did not help.

Why is there no onekey recovery app installed? Do I press the Novo button to reimage to factory? I am thinking of going back and not even activating Windows and see if it drains with factory settings. It didn't come with the November feature update 1909.

I wish you Lenovo guys would take a unit and try it yourselves. If statistically I get 2 that do the same thing, from different lots, I tend to believe they all have this problem. Maybe it's a chipset/motherboard issue? Is it a "feature" of the i7-9750H to always be powered and do stuff? Should I go to a different processor?

Options

433 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

155 Signins

9457 Page Views

• Message 8 of 32

2019-12-20, 15:50 PM

Hi cautiousshopper.

It seems like you need to send the laptop for repair, take advantage of the base warranty that comes with the device.  

Please call Lenovo costomer service for further diagnosis.

Regards.
Dondon_Lenovo.

Options

28 Posts

12-14-2019

United States of America

63 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 9 of 32

2019-12-26, 3:44 AM

Guess what, when I hibernated today it used < 1% of battery over 9 hours. That's an improvement over what would be 3% in shutdown. What the $%^&? When I run the sleep study the OS detail says it goes into target state 5 which is soft power off. This is what I want, but I do not want to write a 6+ GB hibernate file to my SSD every day or more, and wear out my SSD prematurely. Plus I want to log out for security reasons. So this is a stupid workaround to the problem. Why can't shutdown go into state 5 and draw no power? Although I wouldn't know if it goes into state 5 because sleepstudy-report won't tell me any data when shutting down. Is this a Lenovo driver bug, a BIOS bug, a Windows bug, or what?

I'm going to run this hibernate test longer to double check in case it isn't reproducible.

Options

433 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

155 Signins

9457 Page Views

• Message 10 of 32

2019-12-26, 16:37 PM

Hi cautiousshopper,

A battery drain issues can be quite annoying,(this happens on other brand's), especially if your battery drains while your device is turned off.

I ran across this forum post from answers.microsoft.com, having the similar issue.

Please share your thoughts about it.

Regards.
Dondon_Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)