Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-20-2021

Germany

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 5

Ideapad520 sudden shutdown

2021-02-20, 4:29 AM

I was playing a game on my laptop(have been playing since more than a year without issues), it was plugged into charge, had a cooling pad underneath it when the screen  suddenly went dark and the laptop shut down.

Now, I there is no reaction if I press the power button, no lights blinking if i put in the charging cable, nothing at all. I tried doing the power drain/reset thing, held the power button for 30 seconds, but nothing happened after that. I can't remove the battery as it in inside the case and am willing to open the case,remove it and replug it, however i am not exactly sure how to.

There was no burning smell from the charger, however the general area in the laptop around the charging port was hot(not very) but it gets like that usually while gaming.

Any suggestions, comments, tips would be highly appreciated. 

Thank you 

Options

1197 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

500 Signins

6185 Page Views

• Views: 6185
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Ideapad520 sudden shutdown

2021-02-20, 13:50 PM

You may need to consult a PC repair technician.  If you have active Warranty contract consult your Warranty team, otherwise if out of warranty submit the machine to the repair station of your choice.

If there are no lit LED's at all and the fans don't sound, the only actions for the user are the prolonged power button press, with and without the energized OEM power adapter connected.

Unplugging the battery and reinserting it, and also the CMOS battery are usually last ditch items that have seldom succeeded in my experience.

With dry air in the winter, static discharge from the fingers can destroy sensitive components inside, PC repair professionals know the procedures and are equipped with special tools to prevent this.

I hope this helps,

Usedtoberich

Options

3 Posts

02-20-2021

Germany

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-02-22, 22:35 PM
Appreciate the response. We're in lockdown and this could have been a near impossible issue to solve. However, my laptop started working again, i think on its own? I had tried the novo button reset yesterday(had tried it on the first day too but nothing happened) and it didn't make any difference. However, i kept the charging plugged in and didn't bother with it. Today, i randomly happened to glance the led beside the charging port and behold, its lit. I started the laptop and it went smoothly. It worked well and didnt show any signs of "issues" Althought grateful for the fix, i am curious as to what had happened and why and what i could do differently to prevent it. I also noticed that my fan was louder than usual(while idle& in use) and the battery had lower capability than it did before. I plan on taking it to a professional but an expert tip would really help out.
Options

1197 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

500 Signins

6185 Page Views

• Views: 6185
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-02-23, 15:12 PM

Hello,

My only theory is simple, somehow inadvertently the power adapter lost its AC mains source.  Then the computer stopped because of battery exhaustion.  Then inadvertently the AC mains was restored, and the battery re-charged and LED for battery connection performed properly and lit.

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

Options

3 Posts

02-20-2021

Germany

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-02-23, 21:29 PM
Hey, Yeah i guess you are right! But I think my battery is messed up now. Its stuck at 61% no matter how much I charge it. When I hover over the battery icon on the taskbar it says 1 min to fully charged lol. Guess a visit to a professional shop is necessary once things open up. Appreciate the assist ! Best of luck :)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms