Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-17-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 4

Intermittent failure to connect to the internet.

2021-06-10, 17:20 PM

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 700. For the last few days, I have not been able to re-connect to the internet after powering down. Connection to our Router is okay,  signal strength is reported as good and connected, but 'No Internet'

In order to reconnect, I have to power down our router, power it back up, then restart my laptop. I realise that on the face of it, this would appear to be a Router problem. However, my wife has an IDENTICAL laptop, which reconnects every time without an issue, even though signal strength for her laptop (same house, same router) is not quite as good. Also, our phones connect just fine after being power cycled.

After running the Windows 10 Network Troubleshooter, it reports 'There is an invalid IP configuration.'

I suspect that a network setting may have got corrupted somehow, but I do not understand enough to be able to track it down.

Could anyone please offer me any help?

Options

2361 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

150 Signins

13651 Page Views

• Views: 13651
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Intermittent failure to connect to the internet.

2021-06-10, 17:34 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums Gesbey,

Thank you for initiating a query.

Would the same thing happen when connecting at a different network?

I might recommend trying these steps to your machine to isolate the issue.

Try to download the wireless driver from the support site, be sure to type in your machine serial number for the recommended drivers. Go to Drivers and Software tab, click on Manual Update tab, then download-save the wireless drivers to your desktop.

Open the Device Manager and try to uninstall the wireless driver under the Network Adapters. Be sure to tick the checkbox to fully uninstall the driver. 

Open and install the wireless driver you have downloaded earlier and then restart the machine once installation process is complete.

I might recommend running a diagnostic scan to your machine as well for any hardware failure causing this. You are free to include the scan results here for us to know.

Let us know once convenient.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

01-17-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-06-11, 19:25 PM

Thank you for your very prompt response.

I do not really have the possibility of connecting to a different network.

I ran the hardware diagnostic test on the WiFi Interface as you suggested and it passed okay.

I entered my machine Serial No. and ran a 'Check for the latest drivers and the service reported 'No driver updates are required for your machine'.

The installed Driver is vers. 19.51.15.3 --03-Sep-2018.

I nevertheless selected the Manual Update tab as you suggested and the latest driver available for download was dated 22-Jun2017!!

I did download and save this driver, but I have not yet uninstalled the current driver or installed the one I have downloaded.

One final clue, if you are still interested. When the laptop starts but does not connect to the Internet, the options to select 'Public' or 'Private' within the network settings, is not available, i.e. is not shown. Please see attached screenshot. ---Hmmm... Sorry, but 'Submit' does not work when I have the .pdf file attached.

In the meantime, I received a Windows update. After completion and the subsequent re-start, the usual problem did not occur.

I shut down the laptop completely, then restarted it and it connected okay.

I will now wait and check how it behaves before doing anything further. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

However, I do not understand why my current driver is dated later than the one on the Lenovo website. Can you offer any explanation, please?

Once again, thanks very much for your support.

Options

2361 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

150 Signins

13651 Page Views

• Views: 13651
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-06-14, 9:42 AM

Hi @Gesbey 

Thanks for going through the recommended steps. It appears that the update did the fix. You may disregard the drivers you have downloaded from the support page. The driver version on your machine is different from the drivers on support site is because the version on site is the intended drivers for the unit by the developers.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms